IGNORED

MAC, Pure Music, Havana...HELP!

Hello to all.

My first post so I hope I am posting in the correct section.

I have an Imac using Itunes through Pure Music.

I run via USB into a HAVANA DAC. The cables I am using are a 5m jobby from Jaycar and a standard 2m computer USB to extend it.

I realise this is going to be a weak point but until my Wireworld USB arrives in a couple of weeks it is the best I can do.

My confusion comes from the set up of sample rates in Audio MIdi and Advanced Audio in Pure Music

1.I want to try 96/24 into the DAC, is this possible via a USB cable?

2.If not possible how can I use the upsampling capability of Pure Music if I am to run the system via USB?

3.I can only select up to 48khz out when choosing "USB Audio device" which of course is the Havana, is this correct?

I would apreciate any help as I am totaly lost with all of this.

I find Pure Music's manual seems to gloss over finer details, or at least for a noobie like me.

BTW I plan to also get an Audio GD Digital Interface.....

Can someone tell me why I need this...lol

Ok so I have found a little more info.......

"The DAC accepts sampling rates up to 96 kHz, and only 16 bit word lengths. I would have expected that it wouldn't decode any files with a word length greater than 16 bit, but it is not choking with my Linn 24/96 flac files. Maybe it just throws away the extra bits"

But why can I not sellect 96khz in either the AMS or Advanced Audio settings in pure music?

Could it be something to do with the cable?

Jackrinse, you may also want to look into using an USB to SPDIF converter. I have a system running the Havana fed from a Legato USB to BNC converter, the converter uses Gordon Rankin's Streamlenght asynchronous code. The Legato only operates at 44.1 kHz, but then the Havana is a NOS dac. I believe the combo sounds great. Also, I believe upgrading the tube in the Havana I makes a positive difference.

System1: iMac (Pure Music) -> Weiss AFI1 -> Audio Research DAC8 -> Leben CS600 / Merlin TSM-mmi + RelB3 -or- Eddie Current Balancing Act / Audeze LCD-2 headphones[br]System2: Macbook (Pure Music) -> Legato -> MHDT Havana -> Leben RS-100u ->Sophia Electric 300B monoblocks -> ZuAudio Soul Superfly

jackrinse,

That is the same tube I'm using.

Sorry I can't help with the sample rate issue, I setup the Havana to run 44/16 through the Legato.

System1: iMac (Pure Music) -> Weiss AFI1 -> Audio Research DAC8 -> Leben CS600 / Merlin TSM-mmi + RelB3 -or- Eddie Current Balancing Act / Audeze LCD-2 headphones[br]System2: Macbook (Pure Music) -> Legato -> MHDT Havana -> Leben RS-100u ->Sophia Electric 300B monoblocks -> ZuAudio Soul Superfly

Hi there

The USB connection to the Havana is not the best route to getting the DAC to perform optimally.

I have done direct comparison between direct Input via USB and Input via SPIDF using a M2Tech Hiface (in this case) as the USB to SPIDF converter. The latter was clearly superior and gives the higher res capability you are looking for which you will see in Audio Midi.

On a positive note the Havana via SPIDF is a really good Dac and can be further improved via tube rolling.

I would hold judgement on Pure Music until the Havana is fed via SPIDF.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers