Jump to content
Ralf11

ok, camera nuts...

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marce said:

Unfortunately it's 40m range, not enough for me (in particular in the height department)..


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Superdad said:

 

That must be the least expensive device ever sold under the Leica name!

It's because you don't get the costliest component of every Leica with it the red dot! 


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

And my daughter (named Leica) probably the most expensive - won't finish paying her off for a long time.... (currently going on seven). 

If I were so lucky, I'd see her as an investment!


Forrest:

Win10 i7 3770k HQPlayer>Win10 NAA

DSD512>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 4est said:

If I were so lucky, I'd see her as an investment!

 

Ah, yes, of course! The return in love is priceless. 


SERVER CLOSET:NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule>fiber (HDPLEX 100). Supra MD-06 power strip. {Office Circuit}

LIVING ROOM:Sonore opticalModule (LPS-1.2) {TV circuit} >Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Sonore UltraRendu>Ghent Neotech 7N solid JSSG DC cable) {20amp dedicated circuit) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110 {both dedicated 20amp circuit}>Chord Rumor 2>Rega RX3’s.

OFFICE:TP Link MC110 optical bridge (iFi's - different office circuits)>Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50’ (near field post mounted - sound amazing - one of the few  joys of working from the home basement). Cables: AQ Cinnamon RJ45, Meico RJ45, basic cat6, Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

 

Ah, yes, of course! The return in love is priceless. 

 

Wait until she gets into her teens... 👺


“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone listening to music.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

It's because you don't get the costliest component of every Leica with it the red dot! 

 

Rumor has it that they'll give you one for free if you show them something with a missing dot

1067270586_056e23554c_z_d.jpg

 

So is the value of the dot objective, subjective, radically objective or radically subjective?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, accwai said:

So is the value of the dot objective, subjective, radically objective or radically subjective?

It's sobjective, of course :D 


The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

                                                                          ―  William Shakespeare.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, that's an oldy but moldy...


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Actually, it looks more like an Argus C44 than an M series Leica!

 

The wooden box doesn't have film advance lever so it can't be a film camera, as auto advance for film Leica M requires attaching the clunky Leica Winder M to the bottom. And it even has a "display" at the back. In terms of overall layout, it actually looks very much like the recent digital Leica M Typ 240:

M240-silver_960x640_teaser-480x320.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, accwai said:

 

The wooden box doesn't have film advance lever so it can't be a film camera, as auto advance for film Leica M requires attaching the clunky Leica Winder M to the bottom. And it even has a "display" at the back. In terms of overall layout, it actually looks very much like the recent digital Leica M Typ 240:

M240-silver_960x640_teaser-480x320.png

I still think it looks more like an Argus C-44 than it does a Leica, I had a Leica M3 for years, had the winder too as well as the auxiliary finder for 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm lens. Excellent camera. Kinda wished I’d kept it.


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 6:33 PM, gmgraves said:

I still think it looks more like an Argus C-44 than it does a Leica, I had a Leica M3 for years, had the winder too as well as the auxiliary finder for 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm lens. Excellent camera. Kinda wished I’d kept it.

Well, I wished that I had kept it EXCEPT for the fact that it uses film, a decisively obsolete technology (as far as I’m concerned anyway. You are reading a man who has gone the entire photography route including mastering B&W, E-6 color reversal, C-42 color negative, Cibachrome color and Ektachrome color prints. I had and used a cold-light head enlarger (35mm and two-and-quarter), and had my own darkroom. I don’t miss that mess at all, even if it was terribly creative. I’ll take a digital camera, Photoshop (or GIMP) and a good large format Inkjet printer, any day!).


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, film is obsolete

 

now, what speaker is analogous to my Hasselblad 500 C/M ??

 

and what speaker is is analogous to my Nikon F3?? *which I don't shoot but you will still have to "pry it from my cold, dead fingers")


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Well, I wished that I had kept it EXCEPT for the fact that it uses film, a decisively obsolete technology (as far as I’m concerned anyway. You are reading a man who has gone the entire photography route including mastering B&W, E-6 color reversal, C-42 color negative, Cibachrome color and Ektachrome color prints. I had and used a cold-light head enlarger (35mm and two-and-quarter), and had my own darkroom. I don’t miss that mess at all, even if it was terribly creative. I’ll take a digital camera, Photoshop (or GIMP) and a good large format Inkjet printer, any day!).

 

I had a state of the art Fujimoto cold light variable contrast b&w head enlarger, the whole nine yards. The chemistry was killing me though. But man, looking at my 16X20 and 20X24 silver gelatin prints, as nice as my digital prints are (Imacon scanner to a Canon ipF6400 on Epson Legacy Platine), they are pieces of art, imperfections and all. The analog smoothness and depth just isn't quite there with digital. 


SERVER CLOSET:NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule>fiber (HDPLEX 100). Supra MD-06 power strip. {Office Circuit}

LIVING ROOM:Sonore opticalModule (LPS-1.2) {TV circuit} >Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Sonore UltraRendu>Ghent Neotech 7N solid JSSG DC cable) {20amp dedicated circuit) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110 {both dedicated 20amp circuit}>Chord Rumor 2>Rega RX3’s.

OFFICE:TP Link MC110 optical bridge (iFi's - different office circuits)>Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50’ (near field post mounted - sound amazing - one of the few  joys of working from the home basement). Cables: AQ Cinnamon RJ45, Meico RJ45, basic cat6, Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gmgraves said:

[...] You are reading a man who has gone the entire photography route including mastering B&W, E-6 color reversal, C-42 color negative, Cibachrome color and Ektachrome color prints.

 

Master of B&W... Awesome! Do you have your photos online anywhere?

 

Quote

[...] I’ll take a digital camera, Photoshop (or GIMP) and a good large format Inkjet printer, any day!).

 

Came across this at V. Tony Hauser's shop in downtown Toronto a few weeks back:

 

IMG-00116.jpg.dc137cd687054488fde33f29d1e3530b.jpg

 

Given the Copal 3 shutter has about 4" diameter, the body is probably a Folmer & Schwing 12x20. V. Tony Hauser does platinotype. He's pretty much stuck.

 

On the flip side, a lot of the photo objectivists have gone digital I believe. Andreas Gursky shoot with 4x5 Technikardan but the stitching and processing in the backend has been all digital for a long time. Candida Höfer is supposedly digital capture as well now. And Edward Burtynsky is supposed to be all digital too, Hasselblad H6D-100c except when shooting with drone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

 

I had a state of the art Fujimoto cold light variable contrast b&w head enlarger, the whole nine yards. The chemistry was killing me though. But man, looking at my 16X20 and 20X24 silver gelatin prints, as nice as my digital prints are (Imacon scanner to a Canon ipF6400 on Epson Legacy Platine), they are pieces of art, imperfections and all. The analog smoothness and depth just isn't quite there with digital. 

Amen to that brother! I agree that digital isn’t as good as film under most circumstances, but, the darkroom requirements have always been a PITA, and I’m glad I don’t have to do it any more. 


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, accwai said:

 

Master of B&W... Awesome! Do you have your photos online anywhere?

By mastering B&W, I meant that I had the chemistry and the enlarging down-pat and knew how to use Adam’s modified “Zone System” for roll film cameras. I didn’t mean to imply that I was some kind of B&W “master”. I do not have any photos online, but am thinking about putting some there. I probably have 10,000 digital photos on iPhoto.

23 minutes ago, accwai said:

 

 

Came across this at V. Tony Hauser's shop in downtown Toronto a few weeks back:

 

IMG-00116.jpg.dc137cd687054488fde33f29d1e3530b.jpg

 

Given the Copal 3 shutter has about 4" diameter, the body is probably a Folmer & Schwing 12x20. V. Tony Hauser does platinotype. He's pretty much stuck.

Now THAT camera can do the Zone System big time!

23 minutes ago, accwai said:

 

On the flip side, a lot of the photo objectivists have gone digital I believe. Andreas Gursky shoot with 4x5 Technikardan but the stitching and processing in the backend has been all digital for a long time. Candida Höfer is supposedly digital capture as well now. And Edward Burtynsky is supposed to be all digital too, Hasselblad H6D-100c except when shooting with drone.

With film becoming harder and harder to get, and more expensive, most of us either already have or soon will be forced to go digital, like it or not. For the kind of photography I’ve been doing for some time, I find that it is just fine.


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

yes, film is obsolete

 

now, what speaker is analogous to my Hasselblad 500 C/M ??

 

and what speaker is is analogous to my Nikon F3?? *which I don't shoot but you will still have to "pry it from my cold, dead fingers")

I feel that way about my F4!


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...