IGNORED

ok, camera nuts...

5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

It's because you don't get the costliest component of every Leica with it the red dot! 

Rumor has it that they'll give you one for free if you show them something with a missing dot

1067270586_056e23554c_z_d.jpg

So is the value of the dot objective, subjective, radically objective or radically subjective?

10 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Actually, it looks more like an Argus C44 than an M series Leica!

The wooden box doesn't have film advance lever so it can't be a film camera, as auto advance for film Leica M requires attaching the clunky Leica Winder M to the bottom. And it even has a "display" at the back. In terms of overall layout, it actually looks very much like the recent digital Leica M Typ 240:

M240-silver_960x640_teaser-480x320.png

21 hours ago, gmgraves said:

[...] You are reading a man who has gone the entire photography route including mastering B&W, E-6 color reversal, C-42 color negative, Cibachrome color and Ektachrome color prints.

Master of B&W... Awesome! Do you have your photos online anywhere?

[...] I’ll take a digital camera, Photoshop (or GIMP) and a good large format Inkjet printer, any day!).

Came across this at V. Tony Hauser's shop in downtown Toronto a few weeks back:

IMG-00116.jpg.dc137cd687054488fde33f29d1e3530b.jpg

Given the Copal 3 shutter has about 4" diameter, the body is probably a Folmer & Schwing 12x20. V. Tony Hauser does platinotype. He's pretty much stuck.

On the flip side, a lot of the photo objectivists have gone digital I believe. Andreas Gursky shoot with 4x5 Technikardan but the stitching and processing in the backend has been all digital for a long time. Candida Höfer is supposedly digital capture as well now. And Edward Burtynsky is supposed to be all digital too, Hasselblad H6D-100c except when shooting with drone.

6 hours ago, gmgraves said:

By mastering B&W, I meant that I had the chemistry and the enlarging down-pat and knew how to use Adam’s modified “Zone System” for roll film cameras. [...]

How does one modify zone system for roll film?

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Obviously one can’t apply it to to the film processing because all frames are processed “blind” and at once, so you have to do it on the print end only. Ansel Adams wrote a book about it. If you’re really interest, I suggest you read it.

I think I found it. Book 2 Chapter 4 under the section 35mm and Roll Films correct? Finished. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, daverich4 said:

If your camera is made by Panasonic, those lenses are licensed from Leica, not made by them. I have the 12-60 “Leica” lens for my GX8 but it’s nowhere close in price or image quality compared to an actual Leica lens.

I thought he meant Leica lenses with something like this:

mft_lem.jpg

I'm no expert so I'm probably totally wrong of course.

16 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I also kept some Nikon stuff, mostly old MF lenses and 2-3 bodies - micro lenses, and the famed "nice old fashioned glow" of bokeh from the 50/1.2 and 45/1.4

13 hours ago, lucretius said:

What year is the 45/1.4 from? -- never seen one, never heard of one.

He did say manual focus and micro, so he probably meant 45/2.8 PC-E Micro:

product_01.png

It does go to 0.5× magnification as oppose to the Canon 45/2.8 TS-E which goes to 0.16× only. I'm no expert but would imagine the Canon has stopped at a rather awkward place.

On 6/24/2019 at 12:29 AM, gmgraves said:

Kind of a silly Q. A camera is merely a box to hold and transport film. Hasselblads were nicely made two-and-a-quarter format camera, but other than that, the quality of the photographs depends on four major qualities: (1) the flatness and registration of the film plane. (2) the quality of the lens optics. (3) the accuracy of the shutter and and aperture, and (4) the accuracy of focus. [...] Mamiya made several two-and-a-quarter format camera styles. The excellent twin-lens system called the C33/330, (I once had one with all the lenses, but foolishly sold it) and there was the single lens format Mamiya 645 system (two-and-a-quarter X one-and-seven-eighths) As well as a two-and-a-quarter X two-and-three-quarter SLR. [...]

Some guy named John Davies uses Mamiya Press extensively. So how does that fit in the quality hierarchy?

15 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

[...] an 8X10 'normal lens is 250mm and the cameras big, rare and expensive [...]

Hmm... 250mm centered on 8x10 has about 64° angle of view. 50mm on a 135 frame is like 47°. So the 250mm would be more like a semi-wide. And worse, garden variety large format normal lens design covers about 70°. Using that for semi-wide could be problematic in a lot situations right? So one either go to a true wide angle, which is big and expensive, or a super normal design that can cover to about 80°. But I would imagine the latter would be extremely rare. I'm no expert like you guys but wouldn't 360mm be closer to normal lens for real use? And it's possible to save some weight with process lenses if one's willing to accept an f/9 aperture correct?

15 hours ago, gmgraves said:

[...] But I understand that a company called “LargeSense” makes a self-contained 8x10 camera, but it only has a resolution of 3888X3072 pixels (!?) with one enormous 9X11 inch, 32-bit sensor (probably a composite sensor). Unfortunately, the camera is monochrome only, [...]

So what is the real life use case for this?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 9:01 AM, yamamoto2002 said:

I think this is the future of photography... [...]

So what exactly is the use case for photography in the future?

19 hours ago, gmgraves said:

[...] From what people using hearing aids tell me, even the best, most expensive hearing aids have lousy frequency response and make music sound terrible. 

Wow, most radically expensive hearing aid(s) :x Never auditioned one of those before. What's the make and model? Anyway, I thought higher end hearing aids have programmable frequency response and selectable modes. Does the audiologist that did the fitting know what they're doing? Of course, I'm no expert so I'm probably totally out of it.

22 hours ago, marce said:

Creating a picture is art, making music is art, listening to a stereo is not art its listening to a stereo...😀

Hmm... for the few real photogs and musicians, making art is only natural. But us regular folks have neither the talent nor the technique for that. All we can do is click away impulsively with the camera or bang away arbitrarily on the instrument. That can't possibly be art. Conversely, while we all know audiophiles listen to sound of the stereo through music, those with the necessary cultural and historical perspective would be able to listen to the music through stereo. That's appreciation of art. Similarly, if the fine photogs here were to share their work with us, we too would be able to partake in such art appreciation :x

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Interesting, Adams' name's mentioned but no example. Did he use Polaroid print or Type 55 negative? I'm no expert but I believe Type 55 yields either a print or a negative but not both, as the two sides have different speed. Now Paul Caponigro definitely used Polaroid print for his book Seasons. And Timothy Greenfield-Sanders uses both B&W & color print. For some reason, no mention of these latter in the article.

[...] You should listen to some avant- garde/modern music 😉

These entries in the Song of the Day thread happens to be within the last week and a half:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27143-song-of-the-day-or-welcome-to-the-add-generation/?do=findComment&comment=971062

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27143-song-of-the-day-or-welcome-to-the-add-generation/?do=findComment&comment=973244

And lots more going further back. The first one's from 2008 and the second from 2011. Are they modern enough?

2 hours ago, marce said:

How do you define a real photographer, a musician or someone who expresses art another way, say by painting...

No idea precisely what real photographer is, but whoever churns out mindless snapshots like these can't possibly be one:

P0230618.jpg.a73258c7f451db6b676deb07f0e93e46.jpg

IMG-00116.jpg.dc137cd687054488fde33f29d1e3530b.jpg

I find all three great for restoring my inner self, to create something is cathartic... 

So do you have your works online anywhere? Would be rather educational for us less advanced.

5 hours ago, marce said:

Don't really use social media these days (apart from family snaps), need to get more organised.  I wouldn't call my self an expert, but these are what I consider reasonable photo's where I have put the effort in (do a lot of dead flower type arty shots, but only use Lightroom so all stored as RAW files). I do it for fun and to bring some beauty into my life15121844854_e8882d5636_o.thumb.jpg.8b0d01863670228f7c5e7c10a73904e8.jpg

[...]

Wow, the first one's really good. Thank you very much. Here's more example of my endless snapshots:

i8_pig.jpg.4174578106f93db007cb3ee7ebe97c7f.jpg

Anbody else has any great shots to show?

4 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

Not quite, IIRC: they did both, but the negative liked to be overexposed.

Hmm... It does both but not both are usable at the same time as the print's 50 ISO but the negative 's 25 at most 32 ISO right? Please explain "overexposed". The word's over my syllable limit...

4 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

"talent" has little to do with it. Some, but little. With contemporary art, technique, even less. Click here if you'd like to learn (a little bit, that's just the very tip of the iceberg) more.

Hmm...

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, "Danto's definition has been glossed as follows: something is a work of art if and only if (i) it has a subject (ii) about which it projects some attitude or point of view (has a style) (iii) by means of rhetorical ellipsis (usually metaphorical) which ellipsis engages audience participation in filling in what is missing, and (iv) where the work in question and the interpretations thereof require an art historical context. (Danto, Carroll) Clause (iv) is what makes the definition institutionalist. The view has been criticized for entailing that art criticism written in a highly rhetorical style is art, lacking but requiring an independent account of what makes a context art historical, and for not applying to music."

If I'm not mistaking, audiophiles listening to their gear *is* an art activity according to this. Wow, learn something new every day. Thanks!

On 7/18/2019 at 4:59 PM, Thuaveta said:

Only if you also believe the act of hearing a tree fall in the middle of a forest makes you into a falling tree.

To be honest I was just going through the checklist in the article. I'm really not smart enough to fall for these tree falling nonsense. Now one more time: Audiophiles listen to their beloved system. Let's see... (i) Subject, yup (ii) Attitude/point of view, sure (iii) Rhetorical ellipsis/audience fill in the holes using via their wildest perverted fantasies, of course (iv) Interpretation requires historical/institutional context, hell yes!

As for the tree falling, aren't the tree and the somebody hearing it not one and yet not two? I don't have a clue what that means of course.

14 hours ago, marce said:

Nice car.

Totally. Not my car though. In fact, I just took the picture for the pig on the door. Similar situation here:

IMG-00044.thumb.jpg.486f1420714306700b81de298573e24c.jpg

Note the 藤原とうふ店 on the door. Must be a big Initial-D fan.

[...] Love digital and lightroom, so much less stress than the darkroom.

Just download the pictures off the phone. Who cares about these dim room/bright room gobbledygook 🤣

First picture shot here, about 20 mins from my house. [...]

Wow, nice place to live! Seriously.

20 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

like this?

working on F susp.jpg

Hmm...Need to show us your meaty tires. Something like this:

3.jpg

20 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

ok, if you don't like that one, here is another:

my 911 at Dee Wright in front of Sisters.jpg

Negative camber please x-D Now with the gas price these days, back to something like this perhaps:

P1030489.jpg.bbcf50cb226ab8ed9a5cd8e168dad075.jpg

CRW_3816.jpg.51d7f1335ce23b29701fe4b345842b76.jpg

19 hours ago, lucretius said:

And/or a big fan of illegal Japanese street racing. ☺️

Interestingly the bad guys run GT-R back in the old Initial-D days. Now that we're in the MF Ghost era, GT-R guy is a friend... As for real life knockoffs, I once saw a Vette in panda color scheme with all the decals. It's stop-and-go traffic on the main local highway so no time to snap a photo unfortunately. Around here, we also have frequent sightings of a real AE86 in full Fujiwara Tofu Shop trim. Now that's a real Initial-D fan.

10 hours ago, marce said:

[...] I know its a good photo when it makes me smile and want to pick up my camera... [...]

18n5lbqtdaqj4jpg.jpg

x-Dx-Dx-D Another hilarious one is the huge size difference between front and rear brake calipers on the Lamborghini Urus. There is a parking lot nearby that has one from time to time. Unfortunately never had the phone on me whenever I come across this one. Went to diner yesterday and saw a Civic Type R with hugely uneven red Brembos front and back. The owner was nearby puffing so I didn't whip out the phone and start snapping away. The Lambo's a real pig so it's kind of understandable, but on a Type R? Seriously?!

10 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Ansel Adams regarded cameras as mere tools. He always talked about “using the right tool for the job.” He did use a Polaroid in his class to illustrate photographic points in his lectures, but I don’t think he used one for serious photography due to the lack of manipulativity of the image inherent in Polaroid photography. 

Cameras and processes should always be mere tools right? Back in Hong Kong, trading in Leica "bricks" was (is?) serious business. You take a non-trivial hit if the plastic wrapping on a brick is removed. So you can't even see, let alone touch the mechanism inside 9_9

An interesting use case for Polaroid would be the 20x24 Polaroid camera. Just came across website of the company that runs the cameras and film supply now. Looks like the whole idea is still active. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders used/uses this a lot. Come to think of it, he'd probably be one of the very few cases where something like the LargeSense LS911 camera would actually make some sense...