IGNORED

What angle do you have for speaker positions?

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

The manual also has very detailed and specific instructions regarding placement with respect to walls, and vertical angle (which is adjustable).

I've purchased a calibrated mic and stand, and will get around to using it one of these months or years when I have the time. 🙂 I would use it to tweak room placement, but currently feel it's unlikely I'd use EQ software.

I downloaded the manual sometime ago at your suggestion, need to reread it.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Vandersteens use 1st order crossovers.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'd love to see classical music fans moshing, headbanging or at least pogoing during a concert  x-D

Ah classical, to be savoured in a sombre fashion... Stuff like the Soldiers chorus from Faust or Mozarts 40th and many other pieces make me wanna boogie.

17 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

seconds before I come upon a busker it's not the absence of harsh etc that leads me to identify live music it's... euh, liveliness, that is speed, integration/coherence of the whole frequency range

Exactly ... however you want to describe that sensation, it's what the goal is, or should be, for an audio rig. If the latter succeeds in projecting that quality, then the angles involved are completely irrelevant.

For the sake of completeness, the audio friend I visited yesterday does a big fat zero about this room, LP stuff. He laughs about the fact that the rooms are "completely wrong" - in one the speakers are roughly in the middle of the usable space; in the other they are literally bolted to the end wall ...

On 5/31/2019 at 6:45 PM, esldude said:

Vandersteens use 1st order crossovers.

I know that. How is that relevant?

18 hours ago, semente said:

I know that. How is that relevant?

1st order crossovers necessarily cause off axis lobing.  So needing to toe in or out to balance perceived frequency response of the direct vs reflected sound is more likely.  Because off axis the response is very uneven. 

Here is the Vandy Treo.

Horizontal and then vertical.  Vertical peaks and dips off axis are worse.  

666Treofig05.jpg

666Treofig06.jpg

As a counterpoint here is a Revel F228 be which smoother laterally and very even vertically.  It uses 4th order crossovers. 

119Revelfig5.jpg

119Revelfig6.jpg

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 hours ago, esldude said:

1st order crossovers necessarily cause off axis lobing.  So needing to toe in or out to balance perceived frequency response of the direct vs reflected sound is more likely.  Because off axis the response is very uneven. 

Here is the Vandy Treo.

Horizontal and then vertical.  Vertical peaks and dips off axis are worse. 

I see what you mean now.

I think that your post substantiates my opinion that "This (the Vandersteen manual, which calls for little if any toe-in) sounds like a strange recomendation to make since Jud's speakers are flattest on-axis."

On 5/28/2019 at 9:42 PM, esldude said:

Pretty simple.  From the listening position what is the angle between your stereo speakers? 

Might be nice to know the distance you sit from them as well.  If you want to list speaker type that would be nice. 

To prevent confusion some people might say plus and minus 30 degrees for speakers that create a total 60 degree angle.  Or they might say the speakers form an angle of 60 degrees.  Just be clear which way you are looking at it.  Both of these illustrations are for the same speaker placement.  60 degrees or +/- 30 degrees. 

Pitch_Perfect_Image-e1426194333535.jpgspeaker-angle.gif

I only have my Martin-Logan ESLs at only about 20 degrees, but I set fairly close as my system “fires” across the narrow dimension of my listening room. 

image.jpg

George

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

I only have my Martin-Logan ESLs at only about 20 degrees

George, your camera tilt looks to be (-)20 degrees. Speakers merely look like 35 or so. But a bit hard to see and no big deal to begin with. It is about the camera. :)

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

but I set fairly close

Sit. And on estimate the speakers beam right towards you. But that is a bit of guessing.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

George, your camera tilt looks to be (-)20 degrees. Speakers merely look like 35 or so. But a bit hard to see and no big deal to begin with. It is about the camera. :)

Well, I took it with the same iPad that I am using to respond to this thread. I had to hold it above my head and behind me in my listening chair which is a quite contorted camera position.🤪

Sit. And on estimate the speakers beam right towards you. But that is a bit of guessing.

Yes, Sit. But they aren’t pointing  directly at me but they are optimum from an imaging point of view.

Is this point of view straighter? :)

BTW, the grillwork behind the equipment stand is not a heater. It’s the closet where the hot water heater (a tankless on-demand unit) is housed.

image.jpg

George

9 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

the same iPad that I am using to respond to this thread. I had to hold it above my head and behind me

This will be a new discotheque trend !

And then text something. 

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

18 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Well, I took it with the same iPad that I am using to respond to this thread. I had to hold it above my head and behind me in my listening chair

Then it is not 20 degree. The distance from speaker to speaker is about 1.2 the height of the ML. From the angle of your picture, it looks like you are also sitting around the same distance. It looks like 60 degrees to me. 

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

we -should- toss a blanket over the screen

I never have, but I am a bad audiophile

I've never been able to discern a difference with a blanket over the screen, but then the screen is closer to the wall than the speakers and I suspect the bass just goes around.

I did get tired of looking at my reflection in the shiny surface though, so now I put on a "fireplace" loop. It does seem to warm the room.😁 In the hot weather I put on an aquarium!