IGNORED

Gustard U16 popping and cracking noises

anroj

Question

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me. I purchased an Audio-GD R8 to play with my Gustard U16. After getting no playback with firmware version 1.61, I asked Kingwa, from Audio-GD, and others on the head-fi forum, what firmware works with the R8 and they suggested v1.4PSA. That was working fine until last night when I started getting loud cracking and popping noises. I use I2S from the Gustard U16 to the R8. I tried taking the U16 out of the chain and feeding my DAC directly via USB cable from my Intel NUC and did not experience any noise. Is this a known issue between the Gustard U16 and the Audio-GD DACs via I2S, and is there a fix? I have seen others comment that Gustard is not issuing new firmware updates so I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing the issue I'm having and if they have found a solution.

2 answers to this question

I reached out to Kingwa yesterday and he seems to think that it is an issue with the U16 firmware. I did a bit of experimenting tonight and I get the noise when playing back at DSD512. I don't get the cracks and pops at DSD256. I am also able to play DSD512 via the USB input, so the issue definitely lies with the U16.