IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of… Peter Gabriel’s So

12 hours ago, fas42 said:

Interesting that So is regarded like this - to my ears this is far less interesting than album IV; the latter is a remarkable creative triumph, that still blows me away every time I listen to it; before and after albums have nowhere near the impact, for me.

I like So a lot. But yes, I agree with you 100% - IV/Security is more interesting, more impactful, and just better all around in my book. Different strokes I guess.

6 hours ago, JoshM said:

I actually was already planning on asking people to rank their favorite Gabriel solo albums in the comments. As much as I love So, it’s not my favorite album of his, either. I chose it because it’s his most iconic album and the mastering story/complexity was most interesting.

My ranking (subject to change, especially in the second half) is:

1) Melt

2) Security

3) So

4) Up

5) Car

5) Us

6) Scratch

I’m leaving out Scratch My Back and New Blood, since they’re not albums of new material, and adding them in would make things more complicated. I could draw So into a near-tie with Secruity for the number two spot, and I could also easily flip Car and Us. Scratch is definitely last for me, though, and Melt is definitely first. (I also think Up is incredibly underrated.)

Nice list! Security was the first Gabriel album I owned, so that might have something to do with my rankings, but at any rate, here's my list by preference - although #2-4 are very close in my book (albeit very different):

1. Security
  2. Melt
  3. So
  4. Car
  5. Up
  6. Us