IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of… Peter Gabriel’s So

Also, it appears I truly need that 12 hi res transfer to own the best version of this classic album, despite owning the original cd, and the SACD. I will now apparently be dropping the $100.00 or so on the 25th Anniversary box to get it........

JC 

"...the TBVO crown for Peter Gabriel’s So is resoundingly awarded to the ‘12 hi-res download."

Great article! But by the time I got to the punch line I'd lost track of the contenders. Perhaps due to a late night read.

I purchased the collection of 180 gram Vinyl 45RPM Half-Speed Remasters specifically to get access to the the Hi-Res Download Cards that were included. (Peter Gabriel 1, Peter Gabriel 2, Peter Gabriel 3, Peter Gabriel 4, So, Up, Us). I don't own a turntable.

Are those downloads the same as the TBVO crown quoted above?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. those LPs are available for sale if anyone's interested. They've never been played and I never got around to listing them anywhere.

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

2 hours ago, Johnny Moondog said:

"...the TBVO crown for Peter Gabriel’s So is resoundingly awarded to the ‘12 hi-res download."

Great article! But by the time I got to the punch line I'd lost track of the contenders. Perhaps due to a late night read.

I purchased the collection of 180 gram Vinyl 45RPM Half-Speed Remasters specifically to get access to the the Hi-Res Download Cards that were included. (Peter Gabriel 1, Peter Gabriel 2, Peter Gabriel 3, Peter Gabriel 4, So, Up, Us). I don't own a turntable.

Are those downloads the same as the TBVO crown quoted above?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. those LPs are available for sale if anyone's interested. They've never been played and I never got around to listing them anywhere.

The ‘16 download I mention is the one that camemwith the vinyl. 

Speaking of which, someone over at SHF told me they were sent that ‘16 24/96 download when they submitted the code from their 25th anniversary box. If that happens, make sure you email back Real World and say you want the 25th anniversary 24/48 download.

@JoshM - really, really great  ... not only really interessting and fun to read but also animated me to listen to a few Gabriel albums the last days again.

As far as the ranking of the albums I have a slightly different take. "Melt" and "Security" are classics of the past while "So" was directed to the future ... and still is somehow fresh, modern and inspiring even today. Which also has to do with the sound and the overall atmosphere and attitude of the album.

And yes, the 2012 48/24 version is absolutley gorgeous (but the original 1986 CD is still impressive).

For me personally the ranking would be:

1. So

2. Us

3. probably Ovo - for "Low Light", "Father, Son" and "Make Tomorrow" (with the incredibly touching voice of Paul Buchanan)

I love all his albums, though ... but I also listen to "Scratch" pretty rarely (once in 2 years or so?).

Fortunately we don't have to make a ranking 🙂

Many thanks for the article!

On 5/28/2019 at 10:38 PM, ted_b said:

I often use Tony's stick and the percussion at the last minute of Don't Give Up to set up one of my comparisons.

Bass. On this track he doesn't play the Stick.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

On 6/4/2019 at 4:51 PM, JoshM said:

Speaking of which, someone over at SHF told me they were sent that ‘16 24/96 download when they submitted the code from their 25th anniversary box. If that happens, make sure you email back Real World and say you want the 25th anniversary 24/48 download.

I emailed with Matt Osborne at Real World. He says there must have been a mix up with the files and that he’d make sure it gets fixed. He also said that anyone who got the ‘16 24/96 files should email Real World back and they’d make sure you get the 25th 24/48 files.
2 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

@JoshM - really, really great  ... not only really interessting and fun to read but also animated me to listen to a few Gabriel albums the last days again.

As far as the ranking of the albums I have a slightly different take. "Melt" and "Security" are classics of the past while "So" was directed to the future ... and still is somehow fresh, modern and inspiring even today. Which also has to do with the sound and the overall atmosphere and attitude of the album.

And yes, the 2012 48/24 version is absolutley gorgeous (but the original 1986 CD is still impressive).

1. So

2. Us

3. probably Ovo - for "Low Light", "Father, Son" and "Make Tomorrow" (with the incredibly touching voice of Paul Buchanan)

I love all his albums, though ... but I also listen to "Scratch" pretty rarely (once in 2 years or so?).

Fortunately we don't have to make a ranking 🙂

Many thanks for the article!

I didn’t even think of including Ovo, but you’re right that it has some of his best work on it. 

I think the issue with Scratch is that Gabriel is one of the perhaps rare artists whose work gets better (rather than more overcooked) the more he works on it. In hindsight, Fripp’s spontaneous methods just weren’t a good match. 

2 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

Very interesting, I always thought he had, but apparently it's overdubbed fretless. (Edit: At least the solo at the end.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:51 PM, JoshM said:

Thank you Josh.

I looked closely at the files on my archive drive, and was surprised to find two copies of So. Somehow I'd completely forgotten about this.

PG1 (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 04/01/15)
PG2 (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 04/01/15)
PG3 (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 04/09/15)
PG4 (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 04/02/15)
So (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 08/04/16)
So (FLAC 24/48, Remastered 2012, Date Created 10/15/12)
Up (WAVE 24/44, Date Created 08/04/16)
Us (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 08/04/16)

When I purchased the collection of 180 gram Vinyl  45RPM Half-Speed Remasters with Hi-Res Download Cards, the downloads resulted in .zip files that unpacked into WAVE files.

So I must have purchased the FLAC version of So independently, and probably before (?) the Vinyl Collection was made available.

Does that look like the correct one?

Thanks!

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

3 hours ago, JoshM said:

I think the issue with Scratch is that Gabriel is one of the perhaps rare artists whose work gets better (rather than more overcooked) the more he works on it. In hindsight, Fripp’s spontaneous methods just weren’t a good match. 

quite possible - good point!

6 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

1. So

2. Us

damn ... confused "Us" and "Up".

But also like "Us" a lot ... so who cares 😌

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

2 hours ago, Johnny Moondog said:

Thank you Josh.

I looked closely at the files on my archive drive, and was surprised to find two copies of So. Somehow I'd completely forgotten about this.

PG1 (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 04/01/15)
PG2 (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 04/01/15)
PG3 (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 04/09/15)
PG4 (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 04/02/15)
So (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 08/04/16)
So (FLAC 24/48, Remastered 2012, Date Created 10/15/12)
Up (WAVE 24/44, Date Created 08/04/16)
Us (WAVE 24/96, Date Created 08/04/16)

When I purchased the collection of 180 gram Vinyl  45RPM Half-Speed Remasters with Hi-Res Download Cards, the downloads resulted in .zip files that unpacked into WAVE files.

So I must have purchased the FLAC version of So independently, and probably before (?) the Vinyl Collection was made available.

Does that look like the correct one?

Thanks!

Yes, that’s the 25th hi-res. It was also sold briefly sold as a standalone download from a B&W site that no longer exists. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, nsxelent said:

Thanks Josh for the outstanding work!!  I really appreciate the technical comparisons of each version.  I have several different versions of this title, including a few vinyl rips, and the 2012 hi-res version is my favorite too.

Look forward to your next project.

It’s going to be the CSN “couch” album. Just interviewed the great Bill Halverson, the album’s eneginner, yesterday.

3 hours ago, JoshM said:

It’s going to be the CSN “couch” album. Just interviewed the great Bill Halverson, the album’s eneginner, yesterday.

Cool, I have several digital versions of this and the original vinyl. 
My original exposure to it was on an 8 track tape in the car of a friends older brother. It was basically the only thing he played anytime he drove us anywhere. I think I heard it hundreds of times that way....And I still like it. 

I'm sort of assuming you won't be including that 8 Track version in your  survey. :)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, firedog said:

Cool, I have several digital versions of this and the original vinyl. 
My original exposure to it was on an 8 track tape in the car of a friends older brother. It was basically the only thing he played anytime he drove us anywhere. I think I heard it hundreds of times that way....And I still like it. 

I'm sort of assuming you won't be including that 8 Track version in your  survey. :)

Believe it or not, I have fond memories of listening to it on an old 8 Track in my parents’ basement (usually while pretending to be Ghostbusters with my best friend) when I was a kid. Sadly, my audio memory isn’t quite that long in terms of a mastering comparison! 

I have a hard time here finding the best version of 'Security'. I have a couple of CDs and the sound seems lacking, rolled-off.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

10 hours ago, YashN said:

I have a hard time here finding the best version of 'Security'. I have a couple of CDs and the sound seems lacking, rolled-off.

My copy seems to be from Germany; Charisma, Virgin, PGCD4, 800 091-2, 1984 - no problems with this; massive sound, as good as it gets.

I got onto this because a friend of the family brought a copy to try out - he used it to "destroy" fancy rigs in hifi stores, where the salesman turned up the volume for the beginning track ... only to find :D ...

• 3 weeks later...

I too am wondering what is the best version of Security. I have the remaster CD from 2010 but wondering if the 24/96 download with the half speed album would top it. I really like this album and one of the more dynamic...I always want more/better. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

VERY impressive research!

However, I beg to disagree with some of the conclusions. The initial 1986 CD's sound quite different from each other (Austria, Europe, Japan etc.) and the difference is not only in the peak levels. The CD with peak levels of -2.40dB/0.758606 has the highest dynamic range as well - Mercy Street has a RMS of 20.97dB. While I am not a DR fetishist, coincidentally I find this to be the best sounding digital release of this album, including compared to the 24/48 2012 release, which is second best, IMO. On all other releases PG's voice sounds somewhat processed, muffled, forward or deeper into the mix. My favourite CD (-2.40dB/0.758606) is also the one that is closest to the original LP that I have. Yes, it may be perceived as a bit shrill, but the reason is in your research - the initially defective mic they used to record PG's voice.

This is the DR log of my proffered digital version:
foobar2000 1.4.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2019-09-19 08:18:04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Peter Gabriel / So
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR11 -2.40 dB -15.16 dB 5:40 01-Red Rain
DR11 -2.40 dB -15.75 dB 5:16 02-Sledgehammer
DR11 -2.40 dB -18.12 dB 6:33 03-Don't Give Up
DR12 -2.40 dB -17.82 dB 4:53 04-That Voice Again
DR12 -2.40 dB -17.76 dB 5:30 05-In Your Eyes
DR12 -3.27 dB -20.97 dB 6:21 06-Mercy Street
DR12 -2.40 dB -15.66 dB 4:29 07-Big Time
DR12 -2.40 dB -18.19 dB 3:22 08-We Do What We're Told milgram's 37
DR15 -2.40 dB -19.11 dB 4:19 09-This Is the Picture excellent birds

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, db2 said:

It looks like HDTracks has started selling a 24/96 download of So, saying it is the "2012" remaster.  Does anyone know if this is based on the 24/48 remaster praised here, with sound quality at least as good?

I believe these are the same as the 2016 vinyl download, not the 2012 25th download, but I want to double check before saying for certain. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...