IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of… Peter Gabriel’s So

Great article.... I have never done the technical analysis as shown above but would definitely agree with the conclusion.  Most importantly it is a fantastic album...

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

Interesting that So is regarded like this - to my ears this is far less interesting than album IV; the latter is a remarkable creative triumph, that still blows me away every time I listen to it; before and after albums have nowhere near the impact, for me.

23 hours ago, ted_b said:

I often use Tony's stick and the percussion at the last minute of Don't Give Up to set up one of my comparisons.

Yep.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 hours ago, barrows said:

perhaps petitioning PG via his FaceBook page for releasing the download to HDTracks or similar is a good idea?

Or similar - the thing I've found with HDTracks is that unlike pretty much every other download site I've ever dealt with, it's a tremendous hassle getting them to allow you to download your purchase again if something was wrong with it (including on their end) the first time.

PG's Real World label used to offer downloads (got some great stuff that way, including a terrific Blind Boys of Alabama Christmas album - they don't seem to be on the label now), but no more.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 hours ago, fas42 said:

Interesting that So is regarded like this - to my ears this is far less interesting than album IV; the latter is a remarkable creative triumph, that still blows me away every time I listen to it; before and after albums have nowhere near the impact, for me.

I like So a lot. But yes, I agree with you 100% - IV/Security is more interesting, more impactful, and just better all around in my book. Different strokes I guess.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:38 PM, ted_b said:

I've seen PG 8 or so times, the first being the Lamb tour with Genesis back in Cleveland.  I think both his tours and his albums peaked at Melt, but that's like saying the Beatles peaked at Revolver.  :)  The remaining catalog is still a treasure.  I go back and forth between the 24/48 and the SACD rip (DSF).  I am interested to hear Josh's comments (or anyone else who has both).  I often use Tony's stick and the percussion at the last minute of Don't Give Up to set up one of my comparisons.  The dsf rip seems to have a blacker background, the 2448 a warmer tone.  Both are great IMHO, especially given that my Holo treats each format differently.

So do I the bass notes are gorgeous. I have both the SACD and the 24/48. 

When I did a ranking, I ranked the SACD first but will reassess with my system as is now