IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

As per the other thread, first I fixed the IP address of the ultraRendu, let's see if this fixes. If not then we will see about the ISO Regen. If I remember correctly removing the ISO Regen from the chain did not solve the dropouts.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

On 12/13/2019 at 8:43 AM, Matias said:

As per the other thread, first I fixed the IP address of the ultraRendu, let's see if this fixes. If not then we will see about the ISO Regen. If I remember correctly removing the ISO Regen from the chain did not solve the dropouts.

I understood the dropout to mean a loss during playback. If you meant it drops from the network then fixing the IP makes more sense. 

On 12/12/2019 at 2:54 PM, vortecjr said:

You can send it in or you can purchase a new SD card as a test. Please contact your dealer for assistance if you want the unit checked out. 

Could you please provide the sequence that has the most chance of being successful in creating a good link between UR and DAC?

Power cycle DAC, UR, restart squeezelite...what would be the best sequence?

Also, does 2.8 bring any new topics that improve stability? Because otherwise I need to pay for 2.7 and again for 2.8.

It seems like after many reboots and power cycles sometimes I can get a connection and everything up to 24bit 96khz is playing. However, when selecting for example 24bit 192khz, no sound plays and I need to start over again...

22 hours ago, Blackfiction said:

Could you please provide the sequence that has the most chance of being successful in creating a good link between UR and DAC?

Power cycle DAC, UR, restart squeezelite...what would be the best sequence?

Also, does 2.8 bring any new topics that improve stability? Because otherwise I need to pay for 2.7 and again for 2.8.

It seems like after many reboots and power cycles sometimes I can get a connection and everything up to 24bit 96khz is playing. However, when selecting for example 24bit 192khz, no sound plays and I need to start over again...

Try this in order:

1. Remove the power cable from the Rendu and the DAC.
2. Connect the power cable to the DAC and power it on.
3. Connect the power cable to the Rendu.
4. Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm the DAC is present.
5. Go to Settings / Roon Ready and press Save.
6. Go to Roon / Settings / Audio and enable the Rendu.  

On 12/16/2019 at 12:28 PM, vortecjr said:

Try this in order:

1. Remove the power cable from the Rendu and the DAC.
2. Connect the power cable to the DAC and power it on.
3. Connect the power cable to the Rendu.
4. Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm the DAC is present.
5. Go to Settings / Roon Ready and press Save.
6. Go to Roon / Settings / Audio and enable the Rendu.  

Hi, I have tried the above several times and the connection is made almost every time. However, everything higher than 24bit 96khz will not play and when I try, the dac connection is lost. I have hooked up the DAC to my laptop and verified that 24bit 192khz was playing ok via laptop. So, I think there is something with the rendu. Do you have an idea what would be best? Wait for 2.8 or is the problem hardware related?

9 minutes ago, Blackfiction said:

Hi, I have tried the above several times and the connection is made almost every time. However, everything higher than 24bit 96khz will not play and when I try, the dac connection is lost. I have hooked up the DAC to my laptop and verified that 24bit 192khz was playing ok via laptop. So, I think there is something with the rendu. Do you have an idea what would be best? Wait for 2.8 or is the problem hardware related?

Post an image of Apps DAC Diagnostics.

1 hour ago, Blackfiction said:

Hi, I have added some logs files from my server. Hope that helps...

server.log (1).zip 571 kB · 0 downloads server.log.zip 562.54 kB · 0 downloads

I see a bunch of server side issues. You should contact LMS to decipher the logs.   

On 12/13/2019 at 10:43 AM, Matias said:

I also fixed the IP address of the server and even the access point. Let's see if that helps. Only my cell phone, using JRemote2 to control JRiver, still has its IP given by DHCP.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

On 12/18/2019 at 1:15 PM, vortecjr said:

That looks normal. We need to check server side settings next.

I have done a clean LMS install and the problem is still there. :( I have attached a better log file indicating that playing the Ray Charles file (24bit 96khz) plays fine while the Stan Getz file (24bit 192khz) is giving me silence and a unresponsive player...

Any thoughts given the new log file?

server.log

5 hours ago, Blackfiction said:

I have done a clean LMS install and the problem is still there. :( I have attached a better log file indicating that playing the Ray Charles file (24bit 96khz) plays fine while the Stan Getz file (24bit 192khz) is giving me silence and a unresponsive player...

Any thoughts given the new log file?

server.log 13.92 kB · 1 download

I don’t see the errors from before. What does DAC Diagnostics show during 192 playback for the Momentary Frequency. FYI you to refresh the page to update the information. Post a link to the DACs manual.

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I don’t see the errors from before. What does DAC Diagnostics show during 192 playback for the Momentary Frequency. FYI you to refresh the page to update the information. Post a link to the DACs manual.

As soon as I play a song that is >24bit 96khz the player becomes unresponsive and I can not access the DAC diagnostics anymore. It is giving me a Error 500 service unavailable.

DAC manual:

https://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/300302_becnhmark_dac2_hgc_manual.pdf

On the LMS forum they said that it is probably due to the squeezelite player (UR) and they wonder if it is possible to turn on logging on the squeezelite player. But I do not know whether that is possible...

27 minutes ago, Blackfiction said:

As soon as I play a song that is >24bit 96khz the player becomes unresponsive and I can not access the DAC diagnostics anymore. It is giving me a Error 500 service unavailable.

DAC manual:

https://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/300302_becnhmark_dac2_hgc_manual.pdf

On the LMS forum they said that it is probably due to the squeezelite player (UR) and they wonder if it is possible to turn on logging on the squeezelite player. But I do not know whether that is possible...

According to the manual there are two USB protocols on that DAC:

Asynchronous USB 2.0
The USB interface supports DSD and 192 kHz, 24-bit PCM. The DAC2 HGC generates the conversion clocks and totally eliminates the USB interface as a source of jitter. No drivers are required for Apple operating systems. Drivers are provided for Windows operating systems.

and
Native Asynchronous USB 1.1
The DAC2 HGC has a driverless USB 1.1 mode that supports 96 kHz, 24-bit PCM with all operating systems. This mode provides quick and easy connection to a wide variety of computers and tablets.

It seems to me that your unit is in Native Asynchronous USB 1.1 mode. Try to change it to Asynchronous USB 2.0 mode. 

Please tell the LMS forum if the are not part of the solution they are part of the problem:)

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Please tell the LMS forum if the are not part of the solution they are part of the problem:)

As classy as it was hilarious.  Well played! 👍🤣

Front ends:

Digital: Sonore ultraRendu or SOtM 200 ultra Trifecta --> LKS MH-D004

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC --> Rogue Triton

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

According to the manual there are two USB protocols on that DAC:

Asynchronous USB 2.0
The USB interface supports DSD and 192 kHz, 24-bit PCM. The DAC2 HGC generates the conversion clocks and totally eliminates the USB interface as a source of jitter. No drivers are required for Apple operating systems. Drivers are provided for Windows operating systems.

and
Native Asynchronous USB 1.1
The DAC2 HGC has a driverless USB 1.1 mode that supports 96 kHz, 24-bit PCM with all operating systems. This mode provides quick and easy connection to a wide variety of computers and tablets.

It seems to me that your unit is in Native Asynchronous USB 1.1 mode. Try to change it to Asynchronous USB 2.0 mode. 

Yes, I made sure that the DAC is in usb 2.0 mode. When connected the DAC diagnostics show 

Benchmark DAC2 Benchmark DAC2 USB Audio 2.0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Also, I connected my laptop with a usb cable to the DAC and played a 24bit 192khz. Another test I did was placing my squeezebox touch with EDO (=support up to 192khz) in the chain. So, squeezebox touch connected to LMS and the DAC. The squeezebox touch played the 24bit 192khz file just fine.

I did not tell the LMS forum yet, :)

36 minutes ago, Blackfiction said:

Yes, I made sure that the DAC is in usb 2.0 mode. When connected the DAC diagnostics show 

Benchmark DAC2 Benchmark DAC2 USB Audio 2.0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Also, I connected my laptop with a usb cable to the DAC and played a 24bit 192khz. Another test I did was placing my squeezebox touch with EDO (=support up to 192khz) in the chain. So, squeezebox touch connected to LMS and the DAC. The squeezebox touch played the 24bit 192khz file just fine.

I did not tell the LMS forum yet, :)

You are correct. We are running out of obvious solutions. I’m going to reach out to Rory at Benchmark and you reach out to their tech support. They may have to get involved to sort this out.

I’m curious if Roon can stream higher sample rates. Can you test this? With Roon you can test with RoonReady and SqueezeLite and this could narrow things down further. 

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The test I proposed with Roon and RoonReady and SqueezeLite. If that does not work Benchmark will need to explain why it does not work on Linux. 

I installed Roon on trial and tested with squeezelite on the UR. 320kb mp3 played ok. Changing to a 24bit 192khz immediatly loses the Roon zone and shows the Error 500 on dac diagnostics.

With Roon and roonready on the UR both the 320kb and the 24bit 192khz files play. 

1 hour ago, Blackfiction said:

I installed Roon on trial and tested with squeezelite on the UR. 320kb mp3 played ok. Changing to a 24bit 192khz immediatly loses the Roon zone and shows the Error 500 on dac diagnostics.

With Roon and roonready on the UR both the 320kb and the 24bit 192khz files play. 

What about with the Rendu in RoonReady mode?