IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Mike:

There are still hundreds of people happily using their original UltraCap LPS-1 linear power supplies with microRendus and ultraRendus.  

To give slightly better technical performance (preventing high-source-impedance leakage currents from entering and passing through the UltraCap design), we suggest that you "energize"/charge your LPS-1 with the same internally ground-shunted SMPS that we ship with the UltraCap LPS-1.2.  It is available here for just $17

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uptone-branded-7-5v-4-8a-36w-smps-with-internal-ground-shunt

Thanks, Alex. Just ordered the piece. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 11/11/2019 at 2:35 PM, bobflood said:

This sounds like a power blip. Check your power supply and if you have an alternate, power it with that and see if the problem persists. I had the same issue on my mR and it turned out my LPS-1was failing so Alex at Uptone replaced it as mine was still under warranty at the time.

@bibflood Belated thanks for your advice.  You could be right...

The problem's got worse.  My mR drops out of Room approx every 15 mins - then, it restarts a minute of so later.  I can't stand it any more - completely ruins a listening session.  There seems to be two possible or likely culprits:

- my CI Audio 7v power supply, which has worked faultlessly for the past couple of years

- my mR 1.4 with 2.7 card.  

@vortecjr has suggested buying a new card. Obviously not a huge outlay but seems crazy to have to replace the card so soon.

The CI Audio PS seems more likely to be the issue.  I'll call them tomorrow to discuss. It's under their 5 year warranty so hopefully they'll back it.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

6 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks, Alex. Just ordered the piece. 

And sorry, all. Meant to post my question in the ultraRendu thread, not the opticalRendu one.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

10 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

@bibflood Belated thanks for your advice.  You could be right...

The problem's got worse.  My mR drops out of Room approx every 15 mins - then, it restarts a minute of so later.  I can't stand it any more - completely ruins a listening session.  There seems to be two possible or likely culprits:

- my CI Audio 7v power supply, which has worked faultlessly for the past couple of years

- my mR 1.4 with 2.7 card.  

@vortecjr has suggested buying a new card. Obviously not a huge outlay but seems crazy to have to replace the card so soon.

The CI Audio PS seems more likely to be the issue.  I'll call them tomorrow to discuss. It's under their 5 year warranty so hopefully they'll back it.

Let's add a third culprit.

Please log into your router and look for a setting named DHCP Lease. When you find this settings make the DHCP Lease time 8 days and press Save. This should be a global setting, but some routers might have a port specific settings you can tweak. Mine was set to 10 minutes and causing me periodic issues during testing today. After increasing the time all issues are now gone.

1967713789_ScreenShot2019-08-16at5_20_07PM.png.5f159a2858a5db9dc9afb66964091d87.png

Another thing you can try while you are in the router is to assign the Rendu a fixed IP address in your routers settings.

3 hours ago, Blackfiction said:

I ordered an ultrarendu in June 2018. After that I only pressed update to go from 2.6 to 2.7. I use the default squeezelite settings.

i believe he would like you to update your unit . . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
4 hours ago, Blackfiction said:

I ordered an ultrarendu in June 2018. After that I only pressed update to go from 2.6 to 2.7. I use the default squeezelite settings.

Please update the unit and then reboot. Then go to Settings / SqueezeLite and press save.  

I did that too. Haven't upgraded anything since 2.7 release. I didn't know there were updates at all. Is there a what's new list somewhere? 

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

1 hour ago, Matias said:

I did that too. Haven't upgraded anything since 2.7 release. I didn't know there were updates at all. Is there a what's new list somewhere? 

Everything between big releases are just regular maintenance and bug fixes. For support I like to update so we are on the same page. If you are not having issues you can decide if you want to update or not. 

13 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Let's add a third culprit.

Please log into your router and look for a setting named DHCP Lease. When you find this settings make the DHCP Lease time 8 days and press Save. This should be a global setting, but some routers might have a port specific settings you can tweak. Mine was set to 10 minutes and causing me periodic issues during testing today. After increasing the time all issues are now gone.

1967713789_ScreenShot2019-08-16at5_20_07PM.png.5f159a2858a5db9dc9afb66964091d87.png

Another thing you can try while you are in the router is to assign the Rendu a fixed IP address in your routers settings.

I eventually found my way to the router settings you mention....and found that it was set to 1440 minutes.  As this seems pretty lengthy I decided not to change it for the 8 day period you suggest.  

My plan is to simply try plugging in different ways until I identify where the issue lies.  I've got an iPower 9v that I'll try instead of the CI Audio.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

32 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I eventually found my way to the router settings you mention....and found that it was set to 1440 minutes.  As this seems pretty lengthy I decided not to change it for the 8 day period you suggest.  

My plan is to simply try plugging in different ways until I identify where the issue lies.  I've got an iPower 9v that I'll try instead of the CI Audio.

Okay. Good plan.

13 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

1440 minutes is one day -- i'd make it 8 days as suggested.  won't hurt anything to make that change.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, Blackfiction said:

Thanks, I did the update and saved the squeezelite settings. So far no problems and no music hickups.

I have listened to 2 albums and when I tried to start the next album, the ultrarendu was not seen by the LMS server. I did a reboot and the ultrarendu shows up. Everything is responsive except for the DAC diagnostics dialog. It won't shop up and after a while it shows an error 500 service unavailable error...

After another reboot the dacdialog shows but I get a timeout on the amixer. 

35 minutes ago, Blackfiction said:

I have listened to 2 albums and when I tried to start the next album, the ultrarendu was not seen by the LMS server. I did a reboot and the ultrarendu shows up. Everything is responsive except for the DAC diagnostics dialog. It won't shop up and after a while it shows an error 500 service unavailable error...

After another reboot the dacdialog shows but I get a timeout on the amixer. 

That means your DAC is frozen. Power cycle your DAC. Check the USB connector on the Rendu. Cheap USB cable or expensive USB cable?

On 12/9/2019 at 9:45 PM, vortecjr said:

Okay. Good plan.

I think the testing has reached a conclusion...

• Subbing in my spare iPower 9v instead of the CI Audio - exact same result.  Connection randomly lost after 15-30 mins. So the CI Audio 7v PS is clear.
  • Despite what I said, I went ahead and increased the DHCP lease to the equivalent of 8 days. Whatever....
  • Have tried a multitude of power outlets - with / without power conditioner.  Same result.

So that leaves the microRendu....just keeps losing connection.  

Should I replace the card?  Is that likely to fix it? Was there a warranty on the 2.7 card?

Not a happy camper.

PS I should mention that I often notice the mR cuts out when the heating thermostat kicks in.  I don't think it always happens at this time - but often.

4 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

I think the testing has reached a conclusion...

• Subbing in my spare iPower 9v instead of the CI Audio - exact same result.  Connection randomly lost after 15-30 mins. So the CI Audio 7v PS is clear.
  • Despite what I said, I went ahead and increased the DHCP lease to the equivalent of 8 days. Whatever....
  • Have tried a multitude of power outlets - with / without power conditioner.  Same result.

So that leaves the microRendu....just keeps losing connection.  

Should I replace the card?  Is that likely to fix it? Was there a warranty on the 2.7 card?

Not a happy camper.

PS I should mention that I often notice the mR cuts out when the heating thermostat kicks in.  I don't think it always happens at this time - but often.

You haven't commented on the USB connector on the unit. It should have a black tab in the middle. Does it look okay? Heat can be an issue, but at 7VDC it should run nice. Can you passively cool it as a test?

The SD card would be the next step, but I can't promise this will solve the issue.  

I also get DAC dropouts from time to time, like once every few hours or so.

Power cycling the DAC works. But it is annoying.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

I think I've nailed it - problem solved!  After reading John Swenson's advice about how to stop Etheregen's dropping off the network, I simply locked my microRendu's IP address in the router.  Et voila!

Funny how this has never occurred before, and then suddenly this happened.  But I'm delighted to get back to listening to music, instead of switching flippin' cables. 

9 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

I think I've nailed it - problem solved!  After reading John Swenson's advice about how to stop Etheregen's dropping off the network, I simply locked my microRendu's IP address in the router.  Et voila!

Funny how this has never occurred before, and then suddenly this happened.  But I'm delighted to get back to listening to music, instead of switching flippin' cables. 

Nice work...enjoy!