sockpit

Rendu Support Thread

Rate this topic

On 9/15/2019 at 12:21 AM, TubeLover said:

I'm suddenly having a very strange issue, for the first time, with what appears to be either the Microrendu or, at the very least the extremely useful Shairport software. Here is what is happening. I was using the system to listen to the WFMT stream of "The Midnight Special" program earlier this week. That stream sometimes has an occasional odd problem, and at first, I thought it must just be that. During the musical selections they play on a given weeks show, sometimes at the beginning of a song, sometimes in the middle, or sometimes all that way through a song (though that is rare) the music becomes distorted, to varying degrees, and occasionally suddenly actually sped up. 

Last night, the same thing happened on a completely unrelated music stream from Music From The Hearts Of Space. Clearly, it was not tied to whatever was being streamed. There were also two different iPad's involved, so that eliminates an individual iPad or their Airplay software/interface. It also happened, on the one occasion, while using an integrated amp, and on the second occasion, on a headphone amp. That seems to leave only the MicroRendu or "possibly" the Shairport software? 

I tried power failing the MicroRendu, rebooting it, restarting Shairport, nothing changes the fact that it still appears at times during a 2-3 hour streaming listening session. My software on the MicroRendu is also up to date. Any thoughts, assistance or recommendations on how to address this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JC 

Things have only gotten worse of late. Despite one two hour streaming session the other night without a single instance of distortion, the last two nights have been worse than ever, and for longer periods, disrupting any ability to listen to music with high pitched screeching, speeding up, and even occasionally slowing down. It has literally rendered me unable to listen. However, a major clue might have shown it's face, for the first time ever, last night. Twice, while listening via my system (using Shairplay and the MicroRendu) the sound just suddenly switched over to my iPads speaker. Once, it completely switched over, once it was playing distorted streaming music on both the iPad's speaker and the system. In each instance, I saw this message appear on my iPad when I tried to get the stream to revert back by re-selecting the MicroRendu. "The MicroRendu is unavailable someone else is using it"! What can that possibly mean?????

JC

I normally don't have to use the internet radio option in ROON to listen to MPR as I have a receiver, but I can and it is ridiculously simple.

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 2.19.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 2.21.37 PM.png

No electron left behind...

On 9/15/2019 at 12:21 AM, TubeLover said:

ing the MicroRendu, rebooting it, restarting Shairport, nothing changes the fact that it still appears at times during a 2-3 hour streaming listening session. My software on the MicroRendu is also up to date. Any thoughts, assistance or recommendations on how to address this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason, thanks for the WFMT tip!  I would much rather use Roon anyway. Now, hopefully my most recent information will help uncover the overall issue.

JC

23 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

What can that possibly mean?????

I bet it means you have more than one app, or even more than one device connected or trying to be connected to the same AirPlay (Shairport) endpoint at the same time.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Just now, MikeyFresh said:

I bet it means you have more than one app, or even more than one device connected or trying to be connected to the same AirPlay (Shairport) endpoint at the same time.

I agree with this. Try turning off any unnecessary iPads and control points for Shairplay and see if that does anything.

No electron left behind...

I can think of many alternative options what it could be...

• DHCP lease for IP expiring and for some reason doesn't get renewed
  • For some reason TCP connection timing out (but this shouldn't need reboot, just reconnection)
  • EEE support (aka 802.3az) in switch thinking the link becoming dead and switching the port off (I have one Huawei router that has this issue, if EEE is enabled on HPE switch where it is connected, it gets thrown out as dead connection, every other device in the house works fine with EEE though, so it's some Huawei hardware problem)
  • Or it could be the switch finally establishing properly path to the device (switches have per-port MAC tables they learn, to know where packets should be destined to)

TCP connection may also time out due to DHCP lease expiring or the renewal giving another address (shouldn't happen).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I agree with this. Try turning off any unnecessary iPads and control points for Shairplay and see if that does anything.

Good idea. I did make certain that the other iPad was turned off, but have still had a few episodes of distortion tonight.My UltraRendu has literally never been set to use Shairplay, so that couldn't be the issue. Back to the drawing board, it would seem.  :(

JC

Newest report is that over the past two days,  I cannot get any music to play on the upstairs/MicroRendu system when I try using Shairplay now. And this occurs despite repeatedly resetting the MicroRendu for Shairplay, and then rebooting it each time. This whole situation just keeps getting worse :(

As soon as possible, I am going to relocate the downstairs UltraRendu and it's power supply upstairs to see what happens at that point. I have only held off doing it thus far because a really painful hip injury is making it extremely hard to even bend over, much less get down onto the floor and reach (and then get back up again) to disconnect the UltraRendu and power supply from where they are located under the bottom shelf of my audio furniture. I'll report back about what I find. 

At this point, I simply need to find some way to identify what the problem is. My plan was to move to an OpticalRendu system for the main system downstairs, and use the UltraRendu and LPS 1,2 power supply upstairs somewhere around year end, or January. Until I know what the current issue is, I don't know whether that strategy still makes sense, or whether I need to consider moving to other hardware, which I would much rather not do.

JC

I fired up my system yesterday and nothing played. The dac diagnostics said no dac was found (even though attached and worked previously). I tried many combinations of rebooting/powering down/restarting the entire chain. Finally, the dac was discovered but still no sound. The diagnostic now said "no setup". I reset everything and went through the rebooting/restarting process again but nothing.

I powered down overnight and everything worked in the morning.

Now, I'm trying to change out the USB cable and UR doesn't discover the DAC. Tried the elaborate reboot process to no avail. Any ideas to get the sound flowing again?

i7ST (Roon, HQplayer) => UR => IsoRegen => Auralic Vega

I already took that out of the chain to help isolate the problem. No difference so still searching for something else. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, mtcs said:

I already took that out of the chain to help isolate the problem. No difference so still searching for something else. Thanks.

Please indulge me the recycling of what I posted in this thread a few months ago, as I have found that it is a useful routine when I experience issues like yours after a firmware update or residential power failure or on other occasions when my Rendu/DAC combination decides to go silent. 

(1).  Turn off power to the Rendu, the DAC, and the FMC/OM (if applicable). 

(2).  Repower in this order, one unit at a time: 

(a):  FMC/OM;

(b). DAC; and 

(c). Rendu. 

(3). When the DAC repowers, allow it to complete its full power-on routine. 

(4). When the Rendu starts to repower, make sure that default 44.1khz sample rate displays on your DAC, if you have a DAC that shows the rate. 

(5).  Allow the Rendu to complete its power-on cycle and then find its control interface on your phone/tablet/computer browser. 

(6).  Go to the Rendu interface's Apps tab.  Check DAC diagnostics to be sure that the first and third windows on the screen confirm that the startup handshake completed. If not, repeat steps (2) through (5) until the handshake completes.

(7).  Go to the Rendu interface's Settings tab.  Select the Rendu app that you use to control your music playback. Restart your controller software app by clicking on "save." Wait until the green status bar appears and confirms the software's restart is complete. 

(8).  If your server software can be restarted, do that.  (I use JRiver, located on my computer, so it's easy to restart it from my phone using remote access software.)  After the server software restart completes, make sure the Rendu shows as a client, if your server software can show you that. 

(9).  Restart your controller software app on your phone or tablet or your computer browser, whichever you use to play music through your Rendu. Make sure that both the server software and Rendu client are accessible from that your control app or browser. If not, try redoing steps (7) through (9). 

(10).  Choose your music and hit "play." Usually, you will hear something, but sometimes nothing will start to play or music will appear to play but be inaudible.  In that case, try redoing steps (2) through (9).

(11).  When all this fails, start again at step (1).  Eventually, it works, as you have noted, unless you have network issues that I can't address here. 

I don't want to make this sound worse than it is.  It takes under five minutes to run through and, soon enough, you get the steps memorized.  Streaming, at least in my experience, always is fraught with more peril than just putting a CD into a player, choosing the right input, and pressing "play" on the player.  The sound quality and jukebox capabilities of a streaming system make the effort to restart things worth the candle. 

4 hours ago, mtcs said:

I fired up my system yesterday and nothing played. The dac diagnostics said no dac was found (even though attached and worked previously). I tried many combinations of rebooting/powering down/restarting the entire chain. Finally, the dac was discovered but still no sound. The diagnostic now said "no setup". I reset everything and went through the rebooting/restarting process again but nothing.

I powered down overnight and everything worked in the morning.

Now, I'm trying to change out the USB cable and UR doesn't discover the DAC. Tried the elaborate reboot process to no avail. Any ideas to get the sound flowing again?

i7ST (Roon, HQplayer) => UR => IsoRegen => Auralic Vega

Try this in order with Roon only:

1. Remove the power cable from the Rendu and the DAC.
2. Connect the power cable to the DAC and power it on.
3. Connect the power cable to the Rendu.
4. Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm the DAC is present.
5. Go to Settings / Roon Ready and press Save.
6. Go to Roon / Settings / Audio and enable the Rendu.

1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

Please indulge me the recycling of what I posted in this thread a few months ago, as I have found that it is a useful routine when I experience issues like yours after a firmware update or residential power failure or on other occasions when my Rendu/DAC combination decides to go silent. 

(1).  Turn off power to the Rendu, the DAC, and the FMC/OM (if applicable). 

(2).  Repower in this order, one unit at a time: 

(a):  FMC/OM;

(b). DAC; and 

(c). Rendu. 

(3). When the DAC repowers, allow it to complete its full power-on routine. 

(4). When the Rendu starts to repower, make sure that default 44.1khz sample rate displays on your DAC, if you have a DAC that shows the rate. 

(5).  Allow the Rendu to complete its power-on cycle and then find its control interface on your phone/tablet/computer browser. 

(6).  Go to the Rendu interface's Apps tab.  Check DAC diagnostics to be sure that the first and third windows on the screen confirm that the startup handshake completed. If not, repeat steps (2) through (5) until the handshake completes.

(7).  Go to the Rendu interface's Settings tab.  Select the Rendu app that you use to control your music playback. Restart your controller software app by clicking on "save." Wait until the green status bar appears and confirms the software's restart is complete. 

(8).  If your server software can be restarted, do that.  (I use JRiver, located on my computer, so it's easy to restart it from my phone using remote access software.)  After the server software restart completes, make sure the Rendu shows as a client, if your server software can show you that. 

(9).  Restart your controller software app on your phone or tablet or your computer browser, whichever you use to play music through your Rendu. Make sure that both the server software and Rendu client are accessible from that your control app or browser. If not, try redoing steps (7) through (9). 

(10).  Choose your music and hit "play." Usually, you will hear something, but sometimes nothing will start to play or music will appear to play but be inaudible.  In that case, try redoing steps (2) through (9).

(11).  When all this fails, start again at step (1).  Eventually, it works, as you have noted, unless you have network issues that I can't address here. 

I don't want to make this sound worse than it is.  It takes under five minutes to run through and, soon enough, you get the steps memorized.  Streaming, at least in my experience, always is fraught with more peril than just putting a CD into a player, choosing the right input, and pressing "play" on the player.  The sound quality and jukebox capabilities of a streaming system make the effort to restart things worth the candle. 

Thanks for the excellent directions. In fact, this has been my tried and true recipe for some time. I must have tried 30 times without succession the past couple of days. Until I added another step: I left the power off on everything for an extended period ( once overnight and once for 4 hours). It worked both times. I'm not sure if it is random or not but I'm listening again. Thanks for the help.

Jesus' and your posts remind me that, when I get really frustrated by having to go through this cycle, I both restart the router and unplug both the Rendu and DAC.  The two devices don't have to be unplugged for more than a few moments before being plugged back in.  Those extra steps sometimes take care of the playback issues.

I have found that for some circumstances where the DAC, or ultraDigital in my case, is not appearing in the diagnostics screen that simply unplugging the USB cable from the Rendu and reconnecting solves the problem. I have yet to find one sequence that will solve connectivity problems 100% of the time. Honestly, I dread having to restart my uR.

Roon (NUC/ROCK), Sonore ultraRendu, Sonore ultraDigital, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, RealTraps acoustic treatments

6 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

I have found that for some circumstances where the DAC, or ultraDigital in my case, is not appearing in the diagnostics screen that simply unplugging the USB cable from the Rendu and reconnecting solves the problem. I have yet to find one sequence that will solve connectivity problems 100% of the time. Honestly, I dread having to restart my uR.

This hasn't ever solved my problem, although I sometimes have had good luck swapping in a $3 USB will get things going. I then can swap my regular cable back in. (And, yes, the cable manufacturer has assured me that my regular cable is fully USB 2.0 compliant, so my issues aren't caused by using a wonky audiophile non-spec cable.) 

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

What are you guys streaming when it stops playing? local files, Tidal/Qobuz, hi-res/low-res, DSD?

I only play local files. When it stops during play, rebooting is usually enough to get me going again. In other cases, like changing USB cable or powering down, I often have to go through the process of restarting the entire system ( particular order, many tries etc).

30 minutes ago, mtcs said:

I only play local files. When it stops during play, rebooting is usually enough to get me going again. In other cases, like changing USB cable or powering down, I often have to go through the process of restarting the entire system ( particular order, many tries etc).

What sample rate, bit rate, and format are the files? Playlist or one album at a time? Which output mode? 

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

What are you guys streaming when it stops playing? local files, Tidal/Qobuz, hi-res/low-res, DSD?

I only play files stored on a NAS over the network, mostly using MPD/DLNA but sometimes LMS.  They can be anything from low bitrate mp3 (as low as 128 mbps) to DSD.  Recently, I have been focusing on high res PCM and DSD files, though.  I also enjoy using the system as a jukebox, bouncing from album to album or shuffling a playlist rather than listening to a single album all the way through.

My system rarely conks out while playing files.  Once a listening session starts, it usually lasts until I shut off the music. 

The system most often conks out after being powered but idle for awhile, in which case saving the MPD/DLNA or LMS app again in “settings” sometimes gets it back on track.  (When I can’t get music to play audibly after the system has been idle, even though the control software says it is playing, I sometimes, but not nearly always, note that the DAC displays an incorrect sampling rate.). 

Most often, though, it happens after I have run the update routine in Apps (whether or not I reboot after finding no changes were made), after a power failure or shut-off (we are remodeling here), or if I am changing something in my system that makes it prudent to shut off the Rendu. In those cases, I run my routine set out above.  Usually, I can get a restart after no more than two or three times through my checklist.

These are the routine issues.  As you may recall from correspondence after I bought the SE, I had some DAC issues (handshaking, XMOS 24-44/88 bug) that manifested similarly.  Those seem to have been resolved by a DAC firmware update.  

9 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

My system rarely conks out while playing files.  Once a listening session starts, it usually lasts until I shut off the music. 

The system most often conks out after being powered but idle for awhile, in which case saving the MPD/DLNA or LMS app again in “settings” sometimes gets it back on track.  

His issue is different and thus I need his feedback. 

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

His issue is different and thus I need his feedback. 

Sorry.  When you referred to "you guys, " I thought that included me.