IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Do you have an update for us?

The update did not fix the issue for me. 

In my emails with JR, I described my setup, what I have tried thus far etc.. and was told to sit tight as it’s being looked at further.  I have performed all scenarios as instructed.

My rig

Hi, Is there any chance you could make a quick post when there is SonicOrbiter update, and include what has been changed, so as end users we have some idea of what has been fixed, upgraded, added or even deprecated.

Not asking for formal release notes (though those would be good for production software) but just an indication of what’s contained in an update. 

22 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Hi, Is there any chance you could make a quick post when there is SonicOrbiter update, and include what has been changed, so as end users we have some idea of what has been fixed, upgraded, added or even deprecated.

Not asking for formal release notes (though those would be good for production software) but just an indication of what’s contained in an update. 

A lot of what we do is bug fixes and app updates. Typically we roll them into a new release and let people know the highlights then.

20 hours ago, vortecjr said:

A lot of what we do is bug fixes and app updates. Typically we roll them into a new release and let people know the highlights then.

But don’t you catalogue bugs & report confirmed issues to be able to manage them, and then make upgrades to fix a set of reported bugs?

A list of the bugs an update addresses would be useful, accompanying the availability of the update on the release server.

Received my opticalRendu today which replaces my opticalModule and microRendu. There is a definite improvement in SQ but not huge.

I have been experiencing some drop-outs of a second or so every few minutes which is odd given that the oM & mR combo would only have a slight tick (fraction of second) every hour or so.

In my case, the oR is connected directly to my 10GB switch using 1GB SFP so no need for the oM. My music sever is connected to the same switch using 10GB SFP.

I can monitor my network traffic for my music server and saw that I would get a reduction in the download (receiving) of my music files from my NAS (located elsewhere on my network) which would translate into a reduction of the upload (sending) to the oR. To solve the issue, I used the priority setting on my Google Wifi router to up the priority of my music server which seems to have fixed the problem.

In the photo below, you can still see the decrease in the download (receiving) but no decrease in the upload (sending) with the higher priority. Before changing the priority, there would be distinct gaps (breaks) in both the up & down. No idea what is causing this behavior but seems to be working ok.

Ethernet.JPG.f538931277f9cf4274e73e9cc72f54a6.JPG

14 hours ago, ericuco said:

Received my opticalRendu today which replaces my opticalModule and microRendu. There is a definite improvement in SQ but not huge.

I have been experiencing some drop-outs of a second or so every few minutes which is odd given that the oM & mR combo would only have a slight tick (fraction of second) every hour or so.

In my case, the oR is connected directly to my 10GB switch using 1GB SFP so no need for the oM. My music sever is connected to the same switch using 10GB SFP.

I can monitor my network traffic for my music server and saw that I would get a reduction in the download (receiving) of my music files from my NAS (located elsewhere on my network) which would translate into a reduction of the upload (sending) to the oR. To solve the issue, I used the priority setting on my Google Wifi router to up the priority of my music server which seems to have fixed the problem.

In the photo below, you can still see the decrease in the download (receiving) but no decrease in the upload (sending) with the higher priority. Before changing the priority, there would be distinct gaps (breaks) in both the up & down. No idea what is causing this behavior but seems to be working ok.

Ethernet.JPG.f538931277f9cf4274e73e9cc72f54a6.JPG

How is the network between your music server and NAS? Is the NAS on the same 10G switch too?

Hardware buffer overflows can cause bandwidth stalls, so check the 802.3x flow control settings and status on your NICs and the switch.

Although I have one Seagate NAS that doesn't support 802.3x. Not much issue for me, because it is only used to store backups. My music "NAS" is my Xeon E5 Linux workstation with Samba, which does support 802.3x. I can get very consistent full 1 Gbps file access speed with it (~100 MiB/s).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I'm trying to troubleshoot my Optical module and OpticalRendu.

Everything appears to be hooked up right but  they’re not showing up on the network.  The OM has two green lights  left of the ethernet input that are lit up and there is a intermittently blinking yellow light to the right of the ethernet input.  The OR  is powered up but  has an orange LED lid in the back. This color does not change.  Both my OR and  i5 are also not showing up the network via the MySonicorbiter page.

I am hooked up from my providers modem to a switch via ethernet cable, I go out from the switch via ethernet cable to the OM.  Also I run an ethernet cable to my TP Wi-Fi router. I thought of using the TP WiF router as a switch as it does have  multiple ethernet outputs, but I’ve read their inferior to a higher quality dedicated switch.
Any help with what the the meaning of the display lights on the OM & OR  and some common issue problems or  ideas might be helpful. 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

My i5  is connected to a switch, from this switch  I feed both a Wi-Fi wireless router and a separate  Ethernet feed to the OM. 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

31 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Everything appears to be hooked up right but  they’re not showing up on the network.  The OM has two green lights  left of the ethernet input that are lit up and there is a intermittently blinking yellow light to the right of the ethernet input.  The OR  is powered up but  has an orange LED lid in the back. This color does not change.  Both my OR and  i5 are also not showing up the network via the MySonicorbiter page.

I am hooked up from my providers modem to a switch via ethernet cable, I go out from the switch via ethernet cable to the OM.  Also I run an ethernet cable to my TP Wi-Fi router. I thought of using the TP WiF router as a switch as it does have  multiple ethernet outputs, but I’ve read their inferior to a higher quality dedicated switch.
Any help with what the the meaning of the display lights on the OM & OR  and some common issue problems or  ideas might be helpful. 

An orange LED on the Rendu means the unit does not see the internet. The status LE only works on first boot so you may need to power cycle the Rendu if you are changing connections. The unit needs to see the internet to show up on www.sonicorbiter.com.  

The switch I’m using feeds my Wi-Fi router so I’m confused  about why the OM Is not working.   I have two solid green lights and a separate blinking yellow light on the OM, does that indicate the OM is working and has a signal going to it?  Could my  optical cable from the OM  be  defective or not working? 

10 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

The switch I’m using feeds my Wi-Fi router so I’m confused  about why the OM Is not working.   I have two solid green lights and a separate blinking yellow light on the OM, does that indicate the OM is working and has a signal going to it?  Could my  optical cable from the OM  be  defective or not working? 

It's strange that neither the Rendu or Transporter show up in www.sonicorbiter.com. Are you using a computer's browser which is in the same network to go to www.sonicorbiter.com?     

5 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Do you have a solid green and flashing orange led on the STi5 LAN port?

Sometimes I have to power off and back on via the STi5s power button before it will connect.

If this LAN port is not active, your STi5 will not show up on the MySonicorbiter page.

I have a uR connected via oMs to a switch, sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect at the LAN port on the uR to get a connection, even when the green and orange LEDs are active.

Also, sometimes when I do not see a device on the MySonicorbiter page, an Ethernet cable is not plugged all the way into a port.

Lastly, if you do not have a green light on the back of your Rendu, you won't get anywhere, make certain that your switch is gigabit.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

It would be helpful if product support manuals on line on or in the box packing described the led displays. 

Looking at the rear of the ST i5 its solid orange on the right side and yellow blinking left side of the LAN input. I did try and reboot the STi5  from the front switch, that did not help.

It’s helpful to know that the OR led should be green. I guess I had forgotten that as I had an UR prior to this. The switch is a TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged 10 Gigabit and it worked fine with the UR.  I’m trying to determine and work through which units and cables are the issue in the signal paths. The OM is displaying two solid green leds left of the Ethernet LAN input and one intermittent yellow led on the right. Do the two green leds indicate that it has a active connection and is functioning? What does the intermittent yellow led indicate?

My confusion here is that the switch has input signal and output signal at least its feeding my Wi-Fi router so I know the switch is working. I switched out all my ethernet cables to determine if any of them are defective and they are not.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:21 AM, Miska said:

How is the network between your music server and NAS? Is the NAS on the same 10G switch too?

Hardware buffer overflows can cause bandwidth stalls, so check the 802.3x flow control settings and status on your NICs and the switch.

Although I have one Seagate NAS that doesn't support 802.3x. Not much issue for me, because it is only used to store backups. My music "NAS" is my Xeon E5 Linux workstation with Samba, which does support 802.3x. I can get very consistent full 1 Gbps file access speed with it (~100 MiB/s).

Thanks @Miska

After I first reported the frequent stalls, everything seemed to sort itself out and I was only getting a stall (one second or so) about once an hour which was ok but not ideal.

As you suggested, I did move my NAS so it connects directly to the same 10G switch as my music server and oR and have not had any stalls. The 10G switch (QNAP QSW-804-4C) is unmanaged so no settings to check but it does support 802.3x flow control.

The little blip shown in the down load (receiving) to my music server that I showed in my original post turns out be track (file) changes. It occurs about 5 seconds before the new track begins (due to buffering?). At the time I was listening to a live album so it was hard to detect when a new actually track began (no break in the output between tracks).

1 hour ago, ericuco said:

The little blip shown in the down load (receiving) to my music server that I showed in my original post turns out be track (file) changes. It occurs about 5 seconds before the new track begins (due to buffering?).

That's normal, it takes OS a little bit to open and catch up with a new file.

5 hours ago, Vangelis said:

It would be helpful if product support manuals on line on or in the box packing described the led displays. 

Looking at the rear of the ST i5 its solid orange on the right side and yellow blinking left side of the LAN input. I did try and reboot the STi5  from the front switch, that did not help.

It’s helpful to know that the OR led should be green. I guess I had forgotten that as I had an UR prior to this. The switch is a TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged 10 Gigabit and it worked fine with the UR.  I’m trying to determine and work through which units and cables are the issue in the signal paths. The OM is displaying two solid green leds left of the Ethernet LAN input and one intermittent yellow led on the right. Do the two green leds indicate that it has a active connection and is functioning? What does the intermittent yellow led indicate?

My confusion here is that the switch has input signal and output signal at least its feeding my Wi-Fi router so I know the switch is working. I switched out all my ethernet cables to determine if any of them are defective and they are not.

the best way to see if the wifi router you installed works is to remove it and plug a computer via ethernet directly into your 5 port switch.  if you can see the UR, then the wifi router is the problem.

adding routers downstream can create issues, unless you disable the routing capability and reduce it to a simple switch.  if you don't, you'll run into firewall and ip address related issues. did you change the settings on your wi-fi router to make it compatible with the rest of your network?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
6 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Any chance you could provide a list of your various equipment which includes model numbers and the like?

You mention a "TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged 10 Gigabit" but in a quick search I can't find a 10GB switch from TRENDnet so I can't research what the switch does.

Also, what SFP's are you using? Brand & model number. In the fiber optic world, there are lots of different types of SFP's, etc. so you have to keep everything straight.

As @jcn3 mentions, you probably don't want two routers in your local network. I am assuming that the modem from your ISP is also serving as a router (maybe, maybe not). Again, knowing specifically the equipment we are dealing with would help.

The Switch is a TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged 10 Gigabit model TEG-S50g

The WiFi router is aAC1200. 

I using a 7 meter Ultra Spec Cables' OM1 (62.5/125) Fiber Optic SFP compliant Cable that Andrew at Small Green approved. It’s available from Amazon for $20.

My thought now is try ditching the switch and go modem ethernet>TP-Link Ethernet>OM SFP optical>OR.

I always heard that a switch providers another layer of isolation and the LAN/ethernet outputs even hardwired from WiFi router are not so good. I may be wrong about any issue about differences of router quality when everything is going Ethernet.

1 hour ago, Vangelis said:

I using a 7 meter Ultra Spec Cables' OM1 (62.5/125) Fiber Optic SFP compliant Cable that Andrew at Small Green approved. It’s available from Amazon for $20.

My thought now is try ditching the switch and go modem ethernet>TP-Link Ethernet>OM SFP optical>OR.

I always heard that a switch providers another layer of isolation and the LAN/ethernet outputs even hardwired from WiFi router are not so good. I may be wrong about any issue about differences of router quality when everything is going Ethernet.

so you put the switch before the wi-fi router and connected the UR to the switch?  if so, you can't do that.  you need a router between the modem and the switch to assign ip addresses . . .

as @ericuco said, we need to know exactly how you've got things hooked up.  you're a bit vague on the details.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
54 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

First off, ditch the wifi router for now. This assumes that the modem from your ISP is serving as your modem and router (and possibly wifi). If you have brand & model number that would be helpful.

Here is a schematic of how things should be connected. The top one is the most direct and assumes that your modem has at least two Gigabit Ethernet ports AND is near enough your server (computer) and the oM/oR. The bottom schematic includes your switch if your modem does not have two Gigabit Ethernet ports available.

BTW, the switch you have is a simple 1GB switch, not a 10GB switch.

1326663317_Networkschematic.jpg.a44b9db983db35a5cddb5d86c9905c01.jpg

2 hours ago, ericuco said:

First off, ditch the wifi router for now. This assumes that the modem from your ISP is serving as your modem and router (and possibly wifi). If you have brand & model number that would be helpful.

Here is a schematic of how things should be connected. The top one is the most direct and assumes that your modem has at least two Gigabit Ethernet ports AND is near enough your server (computer) and the oM/oR. The bottom schematic includes your switch if your modem does not have two Gigabit Ethernet ports available.

BTW, the switch you have is a simple 1GB switch, not a 10GB switch.

1326663317_Networkschematic.jpg.a44b9db983db35a5cddb5d86c9905c01.jpg

I would strongly recommend using the lower configuration in most cases. The switches built into modems are usually flaky at best. While you can get a really good switch with plenty of ports in a proper metal enclosure for about $200.

When I first got my opticalRendu installed, HQP on my Linux server was dropping the connection (server > fiber > switch > fiber > oR) to the opticalRendu (running HQP NAA) after a period of time (a few hours). In order to reestablish the connection, I needed to reboot the opticalRendu.

Previously, with my mRendu and more recently with my opticalModule & mRendu setup, this was never a problem so this new behavior with the opticalRendu was a bit disconcerting at first.

After a day or two, that all seemed to get sorted out in that the connection is no longer being dropped. I am guessing it had to do with my network in some manner.

@Miska any ideas why this might have happened based on your knowledge of network systems? Could it be something with the router getting updated to track a new device (opticalRendu)? Or perhaps my unmanaged "smart switch" learning about the new connection? I am hoping you have an answer to this in case others experience similar behavior.