sockpit

Rendu Support Thread

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I have an iFi Nano here and I'm not having any issues with it. However, I'm running older firmware and it's an older unit. I appreciate your post though.

It's something I'm not particularly happy to say, but then it seems as if the bug (the firmware that keeps the battery from overcharging also appears to have the unintended effect of cutting the USB connection) makes this unit ill suited to streaming music remotely.

I'm also not running the latest firmware, so the bug exists in at least multiple firmware versions, if not all.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

31 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I have an iFi Nano here and I'm not having any issues with it. However, I'm running older firmware and it's an older unit. I appreciate your post though.

+1  likewise

53 minutes ago, Jud said:

It's something I'm not particularly happy to say, but then it seems as if the bug (the firmware that keeps the battery from overcharging also appears to have the unintended effect of cutting the USB connection) makes this unit ill suited to streaming music remotely.

I'm also not running the latest firmware, so the bug exists in at least multiple firmware versions, if not all.

From a full charge how long would you have to use it for it cut off?

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

From a full charge how long would you have to use it for it cut off?

Didn't happen like that. It would cut off when *not* charging, which was never in the middle of a song, but often during even short breaks in play, and nearly always during extended breaks (e.g., from one day to the next). This is while continuously connected to USB power.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 hours ago, Jud said:

Don't know how much the Nano costs, or what mbain now uses, but my current setup (Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC, which replaced an iFi micro-iDSD) works very nicely with the microRendu, and I think sounds better in the same streaming situation (I send it DSD512).  The Pro-Ject is $400.

Jud,

I have been following many of your posts for years and have always enjoyed your comments.  Thank you for offering information regarding potential solutions to my issue.  At the moment i am beginning to feel that the best solution might be to replace my non usb Audio Research Dac 8 with a different bus Dac.  I would move in this direction if I could be certain that the new usb dac would provide superior  sound quality compared to the AR DAC 8.  Any suggestions?  Was considering the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell as a starting point.

Thanks

Mark

mbain

21 hours ago, Jud said:

Didn't happen like that. It would cut off when *not* charging, which was never in the middle of a song, but often during even short breaks in play, and nearly always during extended breaks (e.g., from one day to the next). This is while continuously connected to USB power.

If the DAC is till listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics then all you need to do is go App Switcher and press the output mode again.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

If the DAC is till listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics then all you need to do is go App Switcher and press the output mode again.

When the connection dropped, the mR wouldn't "see" the iFi.

The connection between the mR and the Pro-Ject, on the other hand, has been rock solid for two weeks.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

When the connection dropped, the mR wouldn't "see" the iFi.

The connection between the mR and the Pro-Ject, on the other hand, has been rock solid for two weeks.

The iFi has a switch...would using it make a difference? My guess is that there are different hardware versions in the wild. 

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The iFi has a switch...would using it make a difference? My guess is that there are different hardware versions in the wild. 

I would always have it switched off when not in use, because otherwise the firmware would tell the battery to drain even though it was connected to USB power. So I actually did use the switch.  🙂

I liked the sound of the iFi a lot, and it was with reluctance I decided the hassle just wasn't worth it. But I actually think the Pro-Ject sounds better, at least as it's used in my system.

Of course the whole reason for the relative complexity of the charging firmware is that iFi positions the micro and nano as units that can be used both at home and as mobile DACs. My dad owned a hardware store way back when, and he used to say "You should never buy anything that does two things, because it won't do either of them well."  Should probably have listened to Dad.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:13 PM, mbain said:

Jud,

I have been following many of your posts for years and have always enjoyed your comments.  Thank you for offering information regarding potential solutions to my issue.  At the moment i am beginning to feel that the best solution might be to replace my non usb Audio Research Dac 8 with a different bus Dac.  I would move in this direction if I could be certain that the new usb dac would provide superior  sound quality compared to the AR DAC 8.  Any suggestions?  Was considering the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell as a starting point.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks, that's very kind.  I don't have experience with many DACs, so all I can tell you is what I think about DACs generally.. In order not to take this thread OT, I'll PM you.

My Sonicorbiter SE is no longer showing up as a network player when I go to sonicorbiter.com and thus not showing up in Roon as an endpoint. It hasn't shown up in Roon before but I've been able to fix by changing settings by accessing the GUI, but now that it's not even showing up on my network, can't do anything.

I've tried everything I can think of and have read a lot of possible solutions. I've restarted everything, unplugged everything. Done hard restarts. Reset my modem and router. Nothing has worked.

Any advice or help?

Thanks,

Will

12 hours ago, Jud said:

I would always have it switched off when not in use, because otherwise the firmware would tell the battery to drain even though it was connected to USB power. So I actually did use the switch.  🙂

I liked the sound of the iFi a lot, and it was with reluctance I decided the hassle just wasn't worth it. But I actually think the Pro-Ject sounds better, at least as it's used in my system.

Of course the whole reason for the relative complexity of the charging firmware is that iFi positions the micro and nano as units that can be used both at home and as mobile DACs. My dad owned a hardware store way back when, and he used to say "You should never buy anything that does two things, because it won't do either of them well."  Should probably have listened to Dad.

I totally agree with Jud. I have had two pure DAC’s in my life (Arcam iRDAC and the Chord Qutest). Both work flawless. The latter (always on; no power switch)  in combination with the ultraRendu and Audirvana. It’s a splendid combination!

On 4/20/2019 at 7:14 PM, willcampbell said:

My Sonicorbiter SE is no longer showing up as a network player when I go to sonicorbiter.com and thus not showing up in Roon as an endpoint. It hasn't shown up in Roon before but I've been able to fix by changing settings by accessing the GUI, but now that it's not even showing up on my network, can't do anything.

I've tried everything I can think of and have read a lot of possible solutions. I've restarted everything, unplugged everything. Done hard restarts. Reset my modem and router. Nothing has worked.

Any advice or help?

Thanks,

Will

Are there any lights on the unit working? 

not sure if i need to start a new thread or not so please excuse me i dont mean to step on existing threads.

I just purchased a urendu and connected it to a chordqutest DAC to stream my music from a synology nas.  Functionally, everything works but with DSD streaming i get pops and clicks (not at start of music but during playback). FLAC files play flawlessly. I have switched software from jriver to audinirvana which had no impact. I switched to a different DAC and it got worse. The rendu uses the TWL"Dongle"USBCable & an UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 power supply.

In jriver the rendu is setup only as a dlna server connected to the nas and the rendu  as an audiophile dac and the mode being original.

I have tried changing every setting within the rendu and jriver (also audinirvana) that i can to see if i can filter out the pops and clicks but to no avail. The quetest makes your list as a DAC the rendu can work with.  I have probably left out a bunch of necessary info but appreciate anyone asking the appropriate questions needed to fill in the missing info.

I have searched endlessly for someone with a similar problem but most are not using the rendu as a dlna server which simplifies the setup but reduces the flexibility to make tweaks.

Thanks in advance for any assistance to help. I have acquired a deep selection of SACD discs that have been ripped using the sonore software.  BTW i have tried these files on a portable DAP that plays DSF files and i think i can eliminate the source files as the problem.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:04 PM, vortecjr said:

Update the unit and reboot. Then uninstall the application and re-install the application. 

Just did whatever software update was available today. Again selected the Cambridge Audio 752BD in upnp bridge and it showed as a Squeezelite/box in Roon. Didn't do anything different but happy that it is working now. 

I guess you could add it to the list of supported upnp bridge devices. Roon also controls the 752s internal volume control.

I think I read there will be a big sonicorbitor software update soon. Was this it? Any info on what it will include? Chromecast?

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

8 hours ago, muslhead said:

not sure if i need to start a new thread or not so please excuse me i dont mean to step on existing threads.

I just purchased a urendu and connected it to a chordqutest DAC to stream my music from a synology nas.  Functionally, everything works but with DSD streaming i get pops and clicks (not at start of music but during playback). FLAC files play flawlessly. I have switched software from jriver to audinirvana which had no impact. I switched to a different DAC and it got worse. The rendu uses the TWL"Dongle"USBCable & an UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 power supply.

In jriver the rendu is setup only as a dlna server connected to the nas and the rendu  as an audiophile dac and the mode being original.

I have tried changing every setting within the rendu and jriver (also audinirvana) that i can to see if i can filter out the pops and clicks but to no avail. The quetest makes your list as a DAC the rendu can work with.  I have probably left out a bunch of necessary info but appreciate anyone asking the appropriate questions needed to fill in the missing info.

I have searched endlessly for someone with a similar problem but most are not using the rendu as a dlna server which simplifies the setup but reduces the flexibility to make tweaks.

Thanks in advance for any assistance to help. I have acquired a deep selection of SACD discs that have been ripped using the sonore software.  BTW i have tried these files on a portable DAP that plays DSF files and i think i can eliminate the source files as the problem.

What are the network connections from the router to the unit like. Also, post an image of the JRiver DLNA setup and an image of the Rendu Settings page. 

10 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

Just did whatever software update was available today. Again selected the Cambridge Audio 752BD in upnp bridge and it showed as a Squeezelite/box in Roon. Didn't do anything different but happy that it is working now. 

I guess you could add it to the list of supported upnp bridge devices. Roon also controls the 752s internal volume control.

I think I read there will be a big sonicorbitor software update soon. Was this it? Any info on what it will include? Chromecast?

What configuration works...LPCM or WAV?

6 hours ago, muslhead said:

Will post image shots when i get home

The ethernet is connected to a switch (about 10 ft away) which connects directly to the router which is about 10ft away from the switch. Nhe NAS is about 3 ft away from router. All cables are cat6.

How is your server connected to the router?

Just to make sure we are speaking of the same thing. The rendu (server?) is connected via a switch which connects to the router. The rendu is connected via a 10ft cat6 cable to the switch (dlink) and the delink has a ~10ft cat6 cable to the router. The NAS (connected via cat6)  is on the same switch as the rendu.

why i did a screenshot? thought it might be needed.

As is, it has no effect since i did nothing more than change the name.

Wasnt sure it had to match

23 minutes ago, muslhead said:

why i did a screenshot? thought it might be needed.

As is, it has no effect since i did nothing more than change the name.

Wasnt sure it had to match

In nearly all cases I've seen there is no reason to create a custom DAC and in fact it should not be done unless absolutely necessary as I recall.

I would certainly try deleting it and do not create a new one, it is unecessary in most cases and likely the source of your problems.

Also, the rendu is not a server, it is a renderer or what some might refer to as an endpoint.

The server is your source repository, i.e. where the files are housed, that could be a computer running server software, or it could be a NAS, or a dedicated server box that isn't a general use computer. However the Rendu isn't that, you shouldn't refer to it as a server, in your case JRiver is the server.

I would also suggest not using the JRiver "Audiophile 24-bit" DLNA server setting. I have several DSD compatible DACs, all of them play back without pops and clicks from the microRendu using JRiver's Generic DLNA server setting.

Apologies in advance if Sonore support had actually instructed you to create a custom DAC, I'm not sure of the circumstances by which that becomes necessary, just sure that in most cases it isn't and can actually cause problems in those instances.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

sonore did not instruct me to create the custom DAC. i tried it since it was not working properly.without it. we are forced to solve problems by trial and error in since the documentation is horrible for both the microrendu and jriver.

BTW it is NOT the cause of the problem since the problem was there before it was created.

The jriver wiki states to do what i did with the DAC. i tried using it with the generic but clearly did not have it set up correctly since i got no sound at all. IT is there contention that in dlna mode the software does nothing other than provide an interface and does nothing to the sound. if so, using their audiophile DAC setup makes the most sense

Unfortunately we are forced to use forums to solve problems due to lack of decent documentation. Posting hoping someone else has had the same problem and knows the fix or getting input back from the product designer

Before i posted here i spent dozens of hours searching and trying different things hoping to find a solution. I first tried Jriver who emphatically believe in DLNA mode it cannot be their problem instead, is the rendu.

Boy, that is terribly frustrating! I am sure they will get it worked out for you. 

In the meantime, are you able to set the DNLA to take DSD as DOP? That might temporarily solve your issue. Or at least give you a workaround until they get it fixed. 

I only use Roon, but I know the Roon Ready app on mine doesn't recognize native DSD input to a couple of my DACs. Since I don't have any DSD material above DSD128, which DOP can support, it isn't a big deal to me.  The same might work for you, at least for a little while.  

Sorry I don't have any answers to fix your problem.  

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein