IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

22 minutes ago, wilbur_the_goose said:

Thanks.   I've always had both DSP and digital volume control set to off.

On our end you just need to have bit perfect playback. 

On Roon look for 

MQA capabilities (drop down)
MQA core decoding (slider)

Drop down is where the user tells us what their dac can do. Based on the capabilities, Roon makes the "best" decision for every situation, i.e. lets the DAC do as much of the process as it can support given the user's settings.

The slider is a kill switch for anti-mqa people who just want to be super sure that we play mqa bit-perfect and undecoded no matter what. It doesn't have much use for normal people unless you maybe have a buggy DAC. I never recommend its use to anyone--anyone who needs should already know what to do with it.

22 minutes ago, mbain said:

No.

You have SonicOrbiter 2.7?

Have you powered down the Eitr, then power down the Rendu, then powered up the Eitr and Rendu in that order? 

Have you recently (bast few days) pressed the update button, waited for the Back to Main Menu link, and reboot the unit?

Have you tested the Eitr on a different computer to be sure it works?

Have you tried different USB cable (cheap USB cable)? 

Have you visually inspected the connector on the Rendu for damage? 

If all these check out then you need to email your vendor and request an RMA number so we can have a look at it.

7 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You have SonicOrbiter 2.7?

Have you powered down the Eitr, then power down the Rendu, then powered up the Eitr and Rendu in that order? 

Have you recently (bast few days) pressed the update button, waited for the Back to Main Menu link, and reboot the unit?

Have you tested the Eitr on a different computer to be sure it works?

Have you tried different USB cable (cheap USB cable)? 

Have you visually inspected the connector on the Rendu for damage? 

If all these check out then you need to email your vendor and request an RMA number so we can have a look at it.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.  I will try your suggestions and advise.

mbain

18 hours ago, mbain said:

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.  I will try your suggestions and advise.

Error in alsa-capabilities  (v0.9.1): play did not find a sound card

This is the message I get in Settings, custom DAC.  I have tried your suggestions without success to this point.

mbain

On 1/4/2019 at 10:04 PM, vortecjr said:

If it’s there, RoonReady is running, and Roon can’t see the unit then there is probably some strange network issue. 

Just to close off on my issue, and for the benefit of others - I was able to resolve my issue by resetting my router and each of my network switches - not sure if just the router reset would have solved it or not, but regardless, a few minutes later the microRendu showed up in Roon under Networked devices.

15 hours ago, rlow said:

Just to close off on my issue, and for the benefit of others - I was able to resolve my issue by resetting my router and each of my network switches - not sure if just the router reset would have solved it or not, but regardless, a few minutes later the microRendu showed up in Roon under Networked devices.

Nice catch and thanks for letting us know. 

On 1/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, vortecjr said:

Does the Eitr work on a regular computer?

I just now connected the Eitr to my iMac directly using the same usb cable i was using to connect to the Ultrarendu.  The Eitr appears as an audio device in the Audio MIDI Setup window.  This tells me the usb cable is not faulty.  What does it say re. The Eitr?

Mark

mbain

Well, today I stumbled upon the solution to my problem.  I am posting this fix for the benefit of those who, like me, are increasingly frustrated with glitches and malfunctions.  Over the last 7-10 days I have spent 30-40 hours of my time looking to solve the issue at hand, suspecting all the while that something I did or did not do was the culprit.  Initially I updated my Ultrarendu to Sonicorbiter 2.7.  According to the installation screen, all went well, the installation was successful and was followed by a reboot.  Then the problems began, no sound, the result of the Eitr/DAC combo not being recognized under settings/DAC diagnostics.  As I said, 30-40 hours later and thinking that the installation of 2.7 might be the issue in spite of messages indicating the installation went well, I reinstalled 2.7 for the 5th time to lo and behold find the Eitr/DAC combo visualized.  I also spent $20.00 dollars purchasing a new 2.7 memory card that I apparently no longer need. I came very close to forgetting computer based audio in favor of audio solutions that are more stable, tried and true, after all, for most of us the hobby is about the music not so much getting the equipment to work.   I hope my experience helps someone down the line.  

mbain

I have been using my ultraRendu for nearly a year with a stable dynamic IP address. Recently the IP address has been changing on a random basis and driving me nuts. The unit is fully up to date and nothing else has changed within my network. I guess the next step is to assign a static IP address but I was wondering if anyone had ideas as to what might be going on? Why the sudden change? When I look at the status of the uR on my router, sometimes it shows "active" and sometimes "inactive," not sure if that means anything.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Hi @vortecjr - I was wondering if there is a way to be informed when a software update is ready for the Rendus, short of just running the update and seeing if anything happens.  If not, would it be possible to set something up so that when new/changed files appear in the Sonicorbiter repository, those users who wish to receive an alert get one?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 1/11/2019 at 7:15 PM, Jud said:

Hi @vortecjr - I was wondering if there is a way to be informed when a software update is ready for the Rendus, short of just running the update and seeing if anything happens.  If not, would it be possible to set something up so that when new/changed files appear in the Sonicorbiter repository, those users who wish to receive an alert get one?

There is nothing at the moment. Everything between official numbered releases is just periodic updates, new features, or preparation for future releases. When we have enough stuff we call it a new number. From time to time I will talk about new updates or fixes here if we are working on something specific.  

On 7/28/2018 at 11:42 AM, tonitoman said:

Thanks.

Got it to work... After 4 hours of research. Sounded Amazing. Decided to it to my main room.  clicked the power down. reinstalled the setup... Now the DAC is not recognized anymore.

I get:

Error in alsa-capabilities (v0.9.1): aplay did not find any soundcard.

Would you have any clue for a fix?

Regards

I have the same issue.  It has shown up a few times before but sufficient rebototig and power cycling got past it.  Now I seem stuck.

It's an ultraRendu on version 2.7 feeding a PS Audio Gain Cell Dac via USB.  The uR shows up to iTunes fine which will send music to it but with the above error no music is being played.

DAC Diagnostics shows no audio device found.

Custom Dac shows the identical error as tonitomn.  Most annoying.

11 hours ago, jrg said:

I have the same issue.  It has shown up a few times before but sufficient rebototig and power cycling got past it.  Now I seem stuck.

It's an ultraRendu on version 2.7 feeding a PS Audio Gain Cell Dac via USB.  The uR shows up to iTunes fine which will send music to it but with the above error no music is being played.

DAC Diagnostics shows no audio device found.

Custom Dac shows the identical error as tonitomn.  Most annoying.

To verify if the Rendu sees yours DAC go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. If the DAC is not listed you may have to remove and reconnect the USB cable, then refresh the page. If your DAC is still not listed try power cycling the DAC followed by power cycling the Rendu and then go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. 

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

To verify if the Rendu sees yours DAC go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. If the DAC is not listed you may have to remove and reconnect the USB cable, then refresh the page. If your DAC is still not listed try power cycling the DAC followed by power cycling the Rendu and then go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics. 

I would note that my DAC (and maybe a few others??) doesn't show as connected in the DAC Diagnostics page when it is in standby mode.  As soon as the DAC is fully powered up it is instantly recognized and will then show as connected on the DAC Diagnostics page.  Similarly, if my whole system is completely powered down (for instance if I'm on vacation), when I power back up, for the uRendu to initially "see" the DAC it's necessary to have the DAC fully powered on before power is applied to the uRendu.

I was able to get it working again.  What I did differently this time was not just turn off the DAC via the (bluetooth) remote but also via the rear panel switch (equivalent to pulling the power plug).  then I powered it back up (with the eltraRendu powered off but USB attached), then I powered up the rendu and now I see the usual dac drag info 

PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S16_LE
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: SPECIAL DSD_U32_BE

Taking a wild ass guess, I'd speculate that after the DAC has gone off line and then back on you have to tell the usb sound driver to reconfigure itself and you can't do that (do a  echo 1 > /sys/class/sound/card/reconfig) if any apps are using the driver.  In any case I think this is something the ultraRendu should deal with.  That does not exactly fit the data that I got past this by fully powering off the DAC, so I'm not putting to much faith in my guess, but like I said I think this should all be manageable by the ultrRendu.

I updated to sw 2.7 (from 2.5) just last night when I ran into this problem again.

In the update process there were a  2 or 3 error lines in the log relating to shairpoint or sound cards (which i thought I had saved but alas looks like I did not).  After than I went through update process again but it didn't do much since its was already at 2.7 .

okay. The update would not cause this though. In fact there is some code to help with things like waking up from sleep mode. Anyway, it’s a DAC firmware issue IMO. I can also tell you a lot of other devices do not behave this way. we are keeping an eye on it, but there is not much we can do. PS Audio could take an interest and work with Linux developers as well. 

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

okay. The update would not cause this though. In fact there is some code to help with things like waking up from sleep mode. Anyway, it’s a DAC firmware issue IMO. I can also tell you a lot of other devices do not behave this way. we are keeping an eye on it, but there is not much we can do. PS Audio could take an interest and work with Linux developers as well. 

Its certainly possible that this issue (whatever exactly it is, see point below) it might well be solvable with a firmware update from PS Audio but alas the Gain-Cell-DAC does not offer field/user firmware updates.  Their focus is certainly on Mac and Windows, which is too bad.   If all OS's perfectly implemented the USB sound profile that wouldn't matter, but alas its an imperfect world.

Just to make this thread complete, my Gain-Cell-DAC firmware version is CPU: 1.1.0.38  FPGA: 1.04

I would expect however that such things could be worked around by sw on the ultraRendu as well.   I would love to see PS Audio engage to wok on the issue (or such issues). Its also true that throwing the issue over the fence to the other end of the cable, no matter which end you are on, does not provide much help to customers.  

Just to further confuse things:   Once I realized that I needed to fully power off the DAC to get something to reset to get past this,  now I can not mange to get back to the error state (despite having seen it under both version 27 and 27 on the uR).  If the DAC is fully powered off the uR does not see it as expected.  But as long as the DAC is partially or fully powered up it appears visible to uR no matter what sort of rebooting has occurred in the meantime on the uR side.   This is no particularly surprising, I've run into plenty of such things in my sw carreer, but they are notoriously difficult to get to the root cause.

So until it happens again, I that's it from me.  Back to being a  happy camper.

I've pinged PS-Audio support on the issue as well.

I recently purchased a Signature Rendu SE and Sonictransporter AP I7. I just set up today with my Benchmark DAC 3. I'm using Roon. The Sonictransporter seems to be working fine as the Roon core. The Signature Rendu shows up in Roon as an output device. However, whenever I play a song in Roon, it just skips to the next song in less than a second (without playing anything) and the next song, and so on. It basically runs through a whole album or playlist in seconds without playing any audio. 

I then tried switching the output device of Roon to the built in speakers of my Mac (I use this Mac for control). The music plays just fine this way. So, I'm inclined to think that the Sonictransporter is working fine as the Roon core. 

I had previously been using a Mac Mini as my Roon Core and player. I had my DAC connected directly to the Mac Mini via USB and it played fine. So, it seems like my DAC is fine.

Perhaps there is some issue in the communication of the Signature Rendu and my DAC? I ran the DAC diagnostics in Sonicorbiter, and have attached a screenshot in case it is helpful.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

DAC diagnostics.png