IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Hello!

I just got my first UltraRendu in the mail today, and hooked it up using my LPS1.2 power supply.  I'm having some problems accessing the UltraRendu UI. 

- Doesn't appear to work on Mac OS X Mojave (10.14). When I type http://sonicorbiter.com into the browser, it gets to the UI, but shows no devices there to manage.

- When browsing the UI from my iPad and Windows 7 box, it works fine -- The UltraRendu shows up to manage

- All devices are on the same network

- I disabled the Mac firewall, and it still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

46 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

So you know the IP address then. Why not type that into your Safari on Mac?

Where is your DHCP server located ?

Probably a good idea to assign a fixed IP address. 

Using the IP address directly works fine as well. However, it should work fully using the hostname, and doesn't.  I'm not sure if Apple changed something again in their mdns implementation for Mojave, or why else this would not work.

Just now, R1200CL said:

Where can you add hostname ? Is that a new feature of SonicOrbiter ?

What I mean is that you are supposed to be able to browse to http://sonicorbiter.com from a browser on your LAN (which does work).  From there, you are supposed to be able to see the network devices it discovers.  In my case, seeing the discovered devices from that page only works on iOS and Windows, but not Mac OSX Mojave.

40 minutes ago, joey_corleone said:

What I mean is that you are supposed to be able to browse to http://sonicorbiter.com from a browser on your LAN (which does work).  From there, you are supposed to be able to see the network devices it discovers.  In my case, seeing the discovered devices from that page only works on iOS and Windows, but not Mac OSX Mojave.

Well, in any case it’s a Apple issue and not Sonore ?

Well, I figured it out, sort of. The computer I was talking about has two NICs, one is hard wired for work on a totally different network. One is wireless and on the same network as the Sonore. When I unplug the hard wire connection, it works! 

My my guess is that it is because my default gateway is out the hard wired side, and I bet the UI uses multicast DNS to do the discovery. The multicast DNS query is probably going out the hard wired side and is never seen. Oh well, at least now I know it isn’t a Mac or Sonore problem 

(also in lps-1.2 uptone forum)

To start, I have been a happy owner of an lps-1.2 powering my ultraRendu.

However, my DAC sounds best with aes/ebu input (by far) so I added a D-D converter to get aes/ebu,

moved the lps-1.2 to the DDC and put my old lps-1 on the ultraRendu............and then forgot about it.

For some reason, I felt it was time to order a second lps-1.2 to power the ultraRendu and wow, it only took one

track to convince me this was long overdue.  Listening to Joan Baez sing "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" showed instantly the improvements, improving vocal depth (her voice moved forward out of the mix and had more micro-detail) with no trace of harshness (Baez' voice pierces my eardrums when not done right, so this is one of my definitive tests tracks for that reason) and separates instruments more clearly. 

This whole power thing (along with grounding?) is so much more important than I would have thought a few years ago.

The change the lps-1.2 made to the ultraRendu with the DDC feeding the DAC was much greater than the improvement to the ultraRendu feeding the DAC via usb (i.e. making the system 'higher resolution' by feeding the DAC aes/ebu allowed the ultraRendu to shine even brighter with a better power supply).

Then I moved the old lps-1 to a tp-link  optical-ethernet converter and compared this to a direct ethernet feed from my router.

No question again, adding the optical feed was clearly worse, which was totally unexpected since optical feed for 50 feet should be quieter than a 50ft run of cat6 cable and there are multiple re-clockings between the ethernet and the DAC (ultraRendu and DDC to aes/ebu).  Huh???????

On the Rendu series we are not reclocking. We are using better oscillators and feeding them and other important circuits on the board with high quality power regulators. For example the USB utilizes a HUB chip so it's being feed the signal from the oscillators and receiving clean power. Your DDC might be reclocking depending on it's design, but those oscillators are different than ours and performing a different function.   

On 10/31/2018 at 7:18 AM, cat6man said:

Listening to Joan Baez sing "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" showed instantly the improvements, improving vocal depth (her voice moved forward out of the mix and had more micro-detail) with no trace of harshness (Baez' voice pierces my eardrums when not done right, so this is one of my definitive tests tracks for that reason) and separates instruments more clearly. 

I am going with expectation bias.....

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

On the Rendu series we are not reclocking. We are using better oscillators and feeding them and other important circuits on the board with high quality power regulators. For example the USB utilizes a HUB chip so it's being feed the signal from the oscillators and receiving clean power. Your DDC might be reclocking depending on it's design, but those oscillators are different than ours and performing a different function.   

I could have chosen my words more carefully.  From the ethernet input, you provide the first USB clock from your 'better oscillators' fed by 'high quality power regulators', presumably reading the data out of a buffer with the 'better oscillator'.  My DDC reclocks the usb input to provide an aes/ebu output with its own 'high quality clocks'.  So the latter is a re-clock while the uRendu is providing the initial clock, I believe.

I just on't understand the mechanism whereby phase noise on the ethernet input gets through to the oscillators further downstream and isn't absorbed by the buffers and clocking out the data with clean clocks.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:22 PM, cat6man said:

I could have chosen my words more carefully.  From the ethernet input, you provide the first USB clock from your 'better oscillators' fed by 'high quality power regulators', presumably reading the data out of a buffer with the 'better oscillator'.  My DDC reclocks the usb input to provide an aes/ebu output with its own 'high quality clocks'.  So the latter is a re-clock while the uRendu is providing the initial clock, I believe.

I just on't understand the mechanism whereby phase noise on the ethernet input gets through to the oscillators further downstream and isn't absorbed by the buffers and clocking out the data with clean clocks.

We are not providing the first clock because your router, any switches, your computer, etc, all have clocks in them. The Rendu series uses a single oscillator, but some devices on your network have one or more oscillators in them. Your DDC device is going to have an oscillator on the USB receiver and then probably two audio oscillators from there. 

The mechanism you asked about is not fully understood. John S has tests planned and has built some equipment, but I don't think the real research has not begun.      

Hi,

I have been successfully running a microRendu (ver 2.2) for some time in conjunction with a Gustard U12 (USB to sPdif) and Chord Hugo DAC and using BubbleUPnP server on the Rendu for access to Tidal and the Lumin open source control app. I have had a few problems with the Hugo recently and decided to purchase a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ to replace it  and also to allow me to test MQA files.

I decided to bring the Rendu and BubbleUPnP software up to date so upgraded Bubble UPnP server on the Rendu to version 0.9-update 30, and upgraded the Rendu software to the version 2.3 that was offered to me. I was then offered 2.7 and attempted to upgrade to that but although the upgrade appeared to work, the version displayed when I go into the 'manage' page still displays 2.3.

My problem now is that although I can still find and connect to 'manage my microRendu' using the usual web page, when I go into the Bubble UPnP server app to set up an open home renderer, Bubble UPnP no longer appears to recognise the Rendu as an available renderer. It finds two other streamers I use in other systems on my network(a Linn Klimax and a Naim Muso) and can stream to them, but because it doesn't recognise the Rendu as an available renderer I can no longer stream to it.

Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thanks       

28 minutes ago, mackh said:

Hi,

I have been successfully running a microRendu (ver 2.2) for some time in conjunction with a Gustard U12 (USB to sPdif) and Chord Hugo DAC and using BubbleUPnP server on the Rendu for access to Tidal and the Lumin open source control app. I have had a few problems with the Hugo recently and decided to purchase a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ to replace it  and also to allow me to test MQA files.

I decided to bring the Rendu and BubbleUPnP software up to date so upgraded Bubble UPnP server on the Rendu to version 0.9-update 30, and upgraded the Rendu software to the version 2.3 that was offered to me. I was then offered 2.7 and attempted to upgrade to that but although the upgrade appeared to work, the version displayed when I go into the 'manage' page still displays 2.3.

My problem now is that although I can still find and connect to 'manage my microRendu' using the usual web page, when I go into the Bubble UPnP server app to set up an open home renderer, Bubble UPnP no longer appears to recognise the Rendu as an available renderer. It finds two other streamers I use in other systems on my network(a Linn Klimax and a Naim Muso) and can stream to them, but because it doesn't recognise the Rendu as an available renderer I can no longer stream to it.

Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thanks       

I think this is your problem:

After a SonicOrbiter Update:

1. Reboot
  2. Settings > MPD/DLNA > Save Changes

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Thanks very much rodrigaj.

That has resolved my problem. The microRendu now appears as an available renderer again. I'd probably never have worked that out for myself. 

A couple of questions though:

1. Is there any reason why I am unable to update SonicOrbiter from version 2.3 to 2.7 (which appears as an available update for me)?

2. Probably covered here, but it appears that I cannot pass a bit perfect MQA stream from Tidal to my MQA enabled DAC using bubbleUPnP server (which I use to get access to Tidal on this system) and a Lumin app on my iPad. Is there an issue with bubbleUPnP and MQA, and if so, is there a way around it?

22 minutes ago, mackh said:

1. Is there any reason why I am unable to update SonicOrbiter from version 2.3 to 2.7 (which appears as an available update for me)?

You need to order a new microSD card from Sonore for $20 to get to 2.7.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

23 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Call out to Lynx Hilo customers who also have a Rendu.

We are looking to add support for this product and a need a beta tester.

Great to hear, Jesus, thank you! Can't wait to have this up and running on my Hilo. Of course, I'm happy to participate in whatever we need to do to get this going as well. Should be ordering my Barefoot MiniMain12 speakers at the end of this week or beginning of next week, so very much looking forward to completing my digital front end and being able to see what all the excitement is about with the ultraRendu!