IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Technical problem concerning Sonore UltraRendu and UpTone Ultracap LPS-1

(This is posted in both forums simultaneously to get help from both ends.)
While listening to music the UltraRendu fell dead, no LED or other sign of life. The LPS-1 showed a green LED.
Restarting the LPS-1 (through red and orange to green) by unplugging and replugging, the UltraRendu came to life, showed red LED and blinked green and orange LEDs at the LAN port – and fell dead again after three seconds or so, the LPS-1 blinks red two or three times, the UltraRendu starts again, same cycle happens for up to four times or so, then the LPS-1 blinks red up to five times before going back to green and the UltraRendu remains dark.
Sometimes the UltraRendu seems to have stabilized until I try to set the DAC to maximum volume in the Sonicorbiter software and the UltraRendu dies then.

When I replug the LPS-1 everything starts again and so on.

This has happened once before and after 15 tries or so everything worked flawlessly for about a month but now the problem seems permanent.

When I use the Meanwell power supply alone without LPS-1 it goes into the same cycle for two or three times and works finally without a problem (except it´s sound).

Is this a known problem?
Is the LPS-1 just broke?
What can I do?

1 hour ago, vunthom said:

Technical problem concerning Sonore UltraRendu and UpTone Ultracap LPS-1

(This is posted in both forums simultaneously to get help from both ends.)
While listening to music the UltraRendu fell dead, no LED or other sign of life. The LPS-1 showed a green LED.
Restarting the LPS-1 (through red and orange to green) by unplugging and replugging, the UltraRendu came to life, showed red LED and blinked green and orange LEDs at the LAN port – and fell dead again after three seconds or so, the LPS-1 blinks red two or three times, the UltraRendu starts again, same cycle happens for up to four times or so, then the LPS-1 blinks red up to five times before going back to green and the UltraRendu remains dark.
Sometimes the UltraRendu seems to have stabilized until I try to set the DAC to maximum volume in the Sonicorbiter software and the UltraRendu dies then.

When I replug the LPS-1 everything starts again and so on.

This has happened once before and after 15 tries or so everything worked flawlessly for about a month but now the problem seems permanent.

When I use the Meanwell power supply alone without LPS-1 it goes into the same cycle for two or three times and works finally without a problem (except it´s sound).

Is this a known problem?
Is the LPS-1 just broke?
What can I do?

What is connected to the ultraRendu? The LPS-1 only powers the ultraRendu?

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

What is connected to the ultraRendu? The LPS-1 only powers the ultraRendu?

There is a USB audio converter module by Artistic Fidelity (probably powerde via USB from the UltraRendu) connected which generates a fiber optical transferred USB signal (3 fiber leads) into a separately powered DDC (Artistic Fidelity "afi + USB") which converts the USB to an AES/EBU data stream into my Lampizator Golden Gate.

I can ask the designer for specifics, probably tomorrow.

Do you think the LPS-1 is having too much draw via USB out of the UltraRendu?

I also posted this under music servers (forgot Sonore had a forum).

I run HQP with Roon on a Microrendu to a Lampi usb dac. Everything has been working fine. Tonight, however, when I tried to play music i could not get anything to play. I rebooted my MR. I rebooted my dac. I made sure the MR was set to HQP. I tried playing music just with Roon. Finally, I discovered in the MR ui under dac diagnostics that the MR is not seeing my dac. So, i made sure all the connection from MR to dac were solid, puled in and out. Still nothing.

I even updated both HQP and MR.

Any ideas? Very frustrating.

I have the exact same problems, some times. I also use the Lampi DAC and I am assuming this has something to do with the DAC USB module and not the Rendu?

Like you I have tried to switch and restart all the units including the DAC/Server. etc. there is no immediate, magic bullet solution, Hence I am also eagerly waiting for someone to trouble shoot this....

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

• 3 weeks later...

OK I sold my microRendu 1.4 and got an ultraRendu and I can't remember everything about how to set things up.

Using BubbleUPnP on Android, I can stream Qobuz just fine.  What I can't remember is how do I play the music on my Windows 10 Pro machine.  I've installed MinimServer and 64-bit Java on that machine.  How does BubbleUPnP discover that instance of MinimServer?  I thought there was some automatic discovery wizard ... or do I need to configure something on BubbleUPnP?

I'm using BubbleUPnP Server on the ultraRendu.  When I go to the Media Servers tab, I don't see MinimServer.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, left channel said:

When I select "Power Down" from the ultraRendu System menu, my ultraRendu just goes to sleep instead of turning off completely. Is this expected behavior? Sending the same command to my microJukebox (same OS,  very different computer inside) results in a full shutdown. 

Yes. I think the microJukebox is Vortexbox though.

On 12/20/2017 at 5:18 PM, rickca said:

OK I sold my microRendu 1.4 and got an ultraRendu and I can't remember everything about how to set things up.

Using BubbleUPnP on Android, I can stream Qobuz just fine.  What I can't remember is how do I play the music on my Windows 10 Pro machine.  I've installed MinimServer and 64-bit Java on that machine.  How does BubbleUPnP discover that instance of MinimServer?  I thought there was some automatic discovery wizard ... or do I need to configure something on BubbleUPnP?

I'm using BubbleUPnP Server on the ultraRendu.  When I go to the Media Servers tab, I don't see MinimServer.

Where you able to sort this out?

38 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Where you able to sort this out?

Yeah, thanks.  I can usually troubleshoot my way out of software and networking problems.  It's working now.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 12/20/2017 at 4:31 PM, vortecjr said:

Yes. I think the microJukebox is Vortexbox though.

Thanks, I don't doubt they are very different behind the nearly-identical user-friendly GUIs.

I've also been struggling with other "sleep" issues while testing the ultraRendu with two DACs. I will email you directly about those as at least one of those situations may be unique.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

16 hours ago, left channel said:

Thanks, I don't doubt they are very different behind the nearly-identical user-friendly GUIs.

I've also been struggling with other "sleep" issues while testing the ultraRendu with two DACs. I will email you directly about those as at least one of those situations may be unique.

To be clear our unit doesn't go to sleep:) If your DAC does that is a different issue...

7 hours ago, vortecjr said:

To be clear our unit doesn't go to sleep:) If your DAC does that is a different issue...

Yes that's the problem. When this DAC thinks the ultraRendu is asleep, it also goes to sleep. Then they get into a cross-my-arms-and-ignore-you loop that requires a shutdown, disconnection, restart, and reconnection before DAC Diagnostics will see the DAC. Getting Squeezelite started again may require yet another round of restarting/reconnecting.

I can simulate the same problem with another DAC by manually turning it off and on. Then a restart is required to get the ultraRendu to see it again. But the "smarter" DAC goes in and out of sleep based on what it receives from the microRendu (mostly or always during startup I think), and once they are in that condition if I leave them connected it will persist through many restarts.

The DAC I'm struggling with is a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital. I'd be willing to send it to you for testing if you think there is anything you can do about this.

Thanks! I ran the update and it may have improved the situation. USB power output from the ultraRendu rises and falls during startup. I still see the Pro-Ject go in-and-out of sleep while the ultraRendu is starting up, but now the DAC is ending in a wake state instead of a sleep state. Maybe we've gotten past this, which would be good because getting Pro-Ject to work on this would probably be difficult. I will keep testing.