sockpit

Rendu Support Thread

Rate this topic

Hello,

I have a MicroRendu that shows the Ethernet port lights for about three seconds then nothing. The unit will not boot. I tried it with both the iFi and LPS power supplies. The micro SD card is correctly installed as well. Any idea what could cause the unit not to power up? It has been working flawlessly until today. 

Thank You in advance for your help.

I'm betting corrupt sd card. I'd reflash the sd card and reconfigure the microrendu.

source:  intel nuc8i5 (audiolinux, roon core) > intel nuc6i5 (win10, ao, fidelizer pro, dirac live, roon) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  bryston bha-1 > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

On 10/29/2017 at 6:38 PM, Everestaudio said:

Hello,

I have a MicroRendu that shows the Ethernet port lights for about three seconds then nothing. The unit will not boot. I tried it with both the iFi and LPS power supplies. The micro SD card is correctly installed as well. Any idea what could cause the unit not to power up? It has been working flawlessly until today. 

Thank You in advance for your help.

I could be the SD card. Email us so we can arrange an RMA.

Can anyone give me a quick explanation on how you play files from my hard drive on the MicroRendu?  I have a MicroRendu on loan from a friend and he uses Roon.  Roon works fine for but I want to know how you play music files using some other method than Roon.  I presently have Roon on a Mac Mini and the Rendu on the same network. If you could point me to some instructions it would be greatly appreciated.  I have already been to the sonicorbiter website to read what they have to say but whatever I'm supposed to do is just going over my head somehow.  Thanks!

BTW, I have almost every other piece of playback software you can imagine.  Amarra, A+, Pure Music, Decibel, Bit Perfect, JRiver, etc.

Hytek

I don’t know how best to look for support on this issue. This thread or a fresh one, so here goes anyway. 

I have the uRendu set up for about 2 weeks and 3 times in these 2 weeks it has disappeared from the networt, not available as Roon endpoint and does not show up on the Sonicorbiter page. 

All other endpoints RPi, Bluesound are stable. All are hard-wired Ethernet. 

The only way way to regain connection is to power cycle. 

First of all this is annoying but secondly I’m afraid the constant power-cycling will eventually fry the SD card. 

Any suggestions?

thanks,

.sjb

BF613531-8727-4D6A-8199-6D5906333262.png

2 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

I don’t know how best to look for support on this issue. This thread or a fresh one, so here goes anyway. 

I have the uRendu set up for about 2 weeks and 3 times in these 2 weeks it has disappeared from the networt, not available as Roon endpoint and does not show up on the Sonicorbiter page. 

All other endpoints RPi, Bluesound are stable. All are hard-wired Ethernet. 

The only way way to regain connection is to power cycle. 

First of all this is annoying but secondly I’m afraid the constant power-cycling will eventually fry the SD card. 

Any suggestions?

thanks,

.sjb

BF613531-8727-4D6A-8199-6D5906333262.png

Hi John,

I have the same issue issue with a microRendu 1.4

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

I can be a router signing you off during periods of no network traffic. It could be the unit is getting really hot as well. If you keep your DAC on you might want to turn it off to reduce the current load on the unit when not in use. 

On 11/3/2017 at 12:21 AM, hytechrednek said:

Can anyone give me a quick explanation on how you play files from my hard drive on the MicroRendu?  I have a MicroRendu on loan from a friend and he uses Roon.  Roon works fine for but I want to know how you play music files using some other method than Roon.  I presently have Roon on a Mac Mini and the Rendu on the same network. If you could point me to some instructions it would be greatly appreciated.  I have already been to the sonicorbiter website to read what they have to say but whatever I'm supposed to do is just going over my head somehow.  Thanks!

BTW, I have almost every other piece of playback software you can imagine.  Amarra, A+, Pure Music, Decibel, Bit Perfect, JRiver, etc.

You can set the output mode of the unit to MPD/DLNA and use it in conjunction with JRiver. This link has information on the configuration for JRiver:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26607-sonicorbiter-dlnampd-output-mode/

13 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I can be a router signing you off during periods of no network traffic. It could be the unit is getting really hot as well. If you keep your DAC on you might want to turn it off to reduce the current load on the unit when not in use. 

I’ll try putting the DAC on standby and see if this cures the issue. 

It is the most used endpoint so I would consider the router would affect the others first if this were the issue. 

Thanks

John. 

.sjb

My mR has recently developed a problem.  It randomly stops playing - typically after about 15-20 mins.  Doesn't matter if it's streaming Tidal or playing FLAC's from my MBP (SSD). It doesn't lose connection, it simply stops playing the track - sometimes right in the middle.  I can't reliably say that this occurs with any particular action or event.  It seems entirely spontaneous.

Initially I thought the problem was Roon, but then found the same issue with Audirvana.  Obviously, I've re-installed the mR and all associated connected devices multiple times, carefully following directions.  No joy.  

When I take out my mR and connect the MBP directly to my Schiit Eitr - voila, no problem.  Except of course the sound quality takes a major turn south.  So the problem is evidently the microRendu.

Hopefully someone can help me sort this out.  My mR is a 1.3, powered by IFI iPower.

Just to reiterate, this problem just started out of the blue, after about 2 months with my current setup.  This week I turned everything off for a few days as I was away from home.  Since then I've had this problem.

Tidal / MacBook PRO --> Netgear Orbi --> AQ Vodka --> microRendu 1.4 / CI Audio LPS -->Roon --> USPCB --> Schiit Eitr --> AQ Coffee --> Hegel HD25 --> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ GO-4--> Kudos Super 20's

On 11/1/2017 at 1:58 PM, lgp said:

The DAC never showed up in DAC Diagnostics but it did after this procedure:

1. Replaced my USB cable with an inexpensive usb cable for printers. Nothing happened.
  2. Inserted a coax cable from my Oppo player to my DAC and everything ok.
  3. Connected the DAC to my MacBook via printer usb cable and the DAC was working fine.
  4. Reinserted the cable to microRendu and the DAC was not showing up.
  5. Rebooted the microRendu via Web GUI and (out of nowhere!) is showed up in DAC Diagnostics!
  6. Replaced the chip printer usb cable with my more expensive cable and everything is still fine!

So now I'm finally sitting and listening to music again but the frustration is quite high but luckily 101 Eastbound by Fourplay is soothing :)

So what can I do to get the microRendu run more stable? Is upgrade the only solution? Or maybe I should upgrade for other reasons?

Something very similar happened to me.  I was having random drop-outs for a few days.  I did almost exactly the same thing as you and it seems like I'm back in business. :rolleyes: No idea what started the problem, but it may have stemmed from when I was testing different networks on my router.  There will be no more testing of that type so *hopefully* microRendu will behave in future.  Funnily enough, I also celebrated with a bit of....um...Fourplay.  Esprit de Four in my case.

Tidal / MacBook PRO --> Netgear Orbi --> AQ Vodka --> microRendu 1.4 / CI Audio LPS -->Roon --> USPCB --> Schiit Eitr --> AQ Coffee --> Hegel HD25 --> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ GO-4--> Kudos Super 20's

Obvious, but check all the connections and make sure they are solid; sometimes they look okay but contact isn’t good.

Second, it may be a network issue. Do you have another router to try? Or a network switch you can obtain/borrow to add in between the server+ mR and router? Either of those might stabilize your setup. I had similar problems till I added a switch.

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, Everestaudio said:

Sent an email a few days ago requesting RMA. Have not heard back. I also purchased an UltraRendu so I can get back to listening sooner.

I have not seen the email. Email me direct at [email protected]

6 hours ago, firedog said:

Obvious, but check all the connections and make sure they are solid; sometimes they look okay but contact isn’t good.

Second, it may be a network issue. Do you have another router to try? Or a network switch you can obtain/borrow to add in between the server+ mR and router? Either of those might stabilize your setup. I had similar problems till I added a switch.

Thanks, it seems to have miraculously corrected itself.  I can't honestly pinpoint what cured it other than all kinds of reconnecting, rebooting and reinstalling. I do have 2 networks (one for the TV) and this may have been the source of the problem.  Seems OK now.  The only remaining issue I have is that my mR only plays up to 24/96 files.  As soon as I switch upsampling above 96 it kills the sound.  It's only slightly annoying as I'm not a fan of upsampling beyond 24/96. But I'm curious as to why it won't work.

7 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

Thanks, it seems to have miraculously corrected itself.  I can't honestly pinpoint what cured it other than all kinds of reconnecting, rebooting and reinstalling. I do have 2 networks (one for the TV) and this may have been the source of the problem.  Seems OK now.  The only remaining issue I have is that my mR only plays up to 24/96 files.  As soon as I switch upsampling above 96 it kills the sound.  It's only slightly annoying as I'm not a fan of upsampling beyond 24/96. But I'm curious as to why it won't work.

What mode are you using the mR in? If it won't play  back anything above 24/96, their is probably a settings issue somewhere in your setup. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, firedog said:

What mode are you using the mR in? If it won't play  back anything above 24/96, their is probably a settings issue somewhere in your setup. 

I use Roon and Audirvana.  It that what you are referring to as the mode?  Either player cuts off when set above 96.

I had a similar issue when I first installed the ultrarendu and it drove me nuts, it would play everything fine up to 176kHz and those would cut off within a few seconds of playback. In the end it turned out that my switch was not set to "Flow Control" which did not optimize throughput, once I corrected this setting at the switch everything works now perfect.

7 minutes ago, thijazi said:

I had a similar issue when I first installed the ultrarendu and it drove me nuts, it would play everything fine up to 176kHz and those would cut off within a few seconds of playback. In the end it turned out that my switch was not set to "Flow Control" which did not optimize throughput, once I corrected this setting at the switch everything works now perfect.

Thanks for your info - can you let me know where to find the "flow control switch"?  Is that somewhere in mysonicorbiter.com ?

I'm not aware of microRendu having such a switch.

It is actually a setting on my switch and not the ultrarendu.. I use a TP-Link switch at my home, and it is a managed switch which means I can login and play around with the parameters... I suggest you get a cheap managed switch and test this.. Most of them come with the flow control options in their settings.

It drove me nuts before I found out what the fix was... 

Hello,

I have the original, first gen microRendu (silver unit).

Today, received the version 2.5 microsd card in mail.

Powered down the unit with 2.3 card in it.

Unplugged all cables, removed 2.3 card, and inserted 2.5 card, carefully, to ensure the spring, clicking sound is heard when card is seated.

Powered it back on.  Noticed the RJ45 led lights go off for few seconds, comes back.

Waited few minutes.

Tried to access the unit using same URL, and i am not able to.  Times out.

http://192.168.90.194/

This site can’t be reached

192.168.90.194 took too long to respond.

Shoot... so powered it down, removed the card.  And reinserted 2.3 card.  Powered it back on.

And the unit is once again accessible from the Web GUI.

Powered it back down, removed cables.  Replaced with 2.5 card.  Powered it back on.

Still unable to access the unit.

What could be going on here?

Do i just have bad card shipped?

How long should i wait after 2.5 card is inserted, and unit powered on with network cable attached?

I have sent e-mail to Sonore folks, but i thought i would check in with the forum to see if anyone seen such symptom with 2.5 card.

Thanks much.