IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

You can try what Ted suggested above. You can also try swapping the Apple Time Capsule with a regular switch. One of these two is likely the issue. A direct connection to the router would really the best.

Thanks Jesus. Late last night I managed to get a direct connection back to the router box.

Regarding what Ted suggested, I went into the settings for the Google Fiber Box (router) and I could not see anywhere I could designate 10/100/1000 or just 1000, etc. But I know nothing about how these routers or networks actually work.

Let me listen for a while without the Time Capsule between the uR and the router, and see if that doesn't do the trick. If it doesn't, I'll be begging for more suggestions on how to isolate/fix the problem. Thank to all who pitched in!

hello, can i use a squeezebox touch with the microrendu? what would be the chain of compnents?

thanks,

drmike

Yes and now. They are both endpoints. So you can use both with Roon and some other SW supported by the SonicOrbiter Linux distro.

If you own a SBT, I would advice you to purchase the LPS-1 power supply. Later you can upgrade to MicroRendu if you like, but you may like to install Roon with Tidal hifi first if you not already have done.

An alternative to the SonicOrbiter is Roon new ROCK OS. But that most likely not supported Squeezelite, and the other applications SonicOrbiter supports.

You may ask Sonore or SMG it SonicTransporter i5 supports ROCK, which then give you the option to purchase SonicTransporter instead of a NUC.

You may tell us what you have and what you like to do, as your question is a bit unclear.

hello, can i use a squeezebox touch with the microrendu? what would be the chain of compnents?

thanks,

drmike

If I recall correctly the Logitech Touch and be used as a Logitech Media Server and thus you could potentially stream from it to a microRendu. In essence you would be using the Touch as a server/controller. However, the microRendu has Logitech Media Server built into it (you have to install it) so you don't need to have the Logitech Touch if you don't want to.

Thanks Jesus. Late last night I managed to get a direct connection back to the router box.

Regarding what Ted suggested, I went into the settings for the Google Fiber Box (router) and I could not see anywhere I could designate 10/100/1000 or just 1000, etc. But I know nothing about how these routers or networks actually work.

Let me listen for a while without the Time Capsule between the uR and the router, and see if that doesn't do the trick. If it doesn't, I'll be begging for more suggestions on how to isolate/fix the problem. Thank to all who pitched in!

What Ted was recommending was a different fiber hardware and not a settings.

thanks,

drmike

In the squeeze universe there are three types of devices:

server, player and controller.

The microRendu is just a player, the SBT can be all three.

The SBT can be used as a controller for the microRendu, ie set the player to be the name of the microRendu rather than the SBT and what happens on the screen is now showing and controlling what is happening on the microRendu rather than the player built in to the SBT.

The SBT can also be setup to be a stripped down LMS, it works but is slow and can't handle really large libraries. I personally would only use it if you are taking the SBT to the cabin in the woods, or in your car, or someplace else where you don't have another computer you can run LMS on.

Of course you can run an SBT and the microRendu in parallel, the SBT in one room and the microRendu in another, but it sounds like you are asking if there is a way to use them together.

John S.

i was wondering if i could use the SBT as a screen to see what the microRendu was doing. if that is possible would the SBT come after the mR?

thanks,

drmike

no, don't think that's possible -- the microrendu can only be accessed via a browser for set-up, status, etc.

the microrendu is a renderer -- it receives what music is set to it and sends it to a dac via usb. so by default, it is "last".

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
i was wondering if i could use the SBT as a screen to see what the microRendu was doing. if that is possible would the SBT come after the mR?

thanks,

drmike

Sure, it very easy to do. Both the microRendu and the SBT need to be connected to the same network (LAN) the microRendu has to be hard wired but the SBT can be either hardwired or use WiFi.

On the SBT go to the main menu and select Settings, then select Choose Player. This will show a list which will include the names of your SBT and microRendu. Select the microRendu and now the screen is controlling the microRendu. It works just like it normally does except that it is showing what is playing on the microRendu, and it lets you control what is happening on the microRendu.

You have to be careful when in this mode, the screen is talking to the microRendu NOT the internal player on the SBT. So what you see playing is NOT what is coming out of the audio jacks on the SBT, it is what is coming out of the DAC connected to the microRendu. Thus if you plug headphones into the SBT you will not hear what is on the screen. If you want to control the player in the SBT you need to back and choose the SBT player.

When the SBT is set to the microRendu you can still use an app on your phone (or other device) to control the microRendu, you can use either one, whichever you want to use. I frequently have an SBT right next to the microRendu so I can see at a glance what is playing on it, and can use it to control what is playing to the microRendu when I am standing right in front of the rack without having to dig my phone out. At my listening position I have an old phone permanently setup to be a controller.

The SBT does not connect directly to the microRendu, they both connect to the same network. If you want to use a hardwired connection for the SBT you will need an open Ethernet port on a switch or router to connect it to. It does NOT have to be the same switch the microRendu is connected to, just that it be on the same network.

In this mode the actual audio data is NOT going through the SBT, it is just a controller.

Note that this is all assuming that your microRendu is setup for squeezlite mode, which makes it look like a squeezebox player. If it is in some other mode the SBT will not see it.

I hope this makes sense.

John S.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bkaudio211 said:

My Squeezebox classic died (no wifi-ethernet) last week. I love LMS and the use of iPeng. My LMS software came with my purchase of my netgear pioneer nas. My question is will I still have use of LMS and iPeng if I purchase a microRendu? Where do I install squeezelite? 

Yes, totally. You set the mR in Squeezelite mode and it will work with iPeng and LMS exactly like an SB device. It has Squeezelite built in, it is one of several playback modes you can choose between.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the Microrendu?

I have been using mine with the UltraCap LPS-1 power supply and have recently noticed that the volume on my amp has to be turned up about 50% higher to get the same volume from music played through the Microrendu as I've enjoyed for months. Other sources produce sound at the same volume as before through the amp, so it's not an issue with the amp.

I've gone to sonicorbiter.com and set DAC to MAX volume, refreshed, rebooted, unplugged and reconnected the power supply but no change. Music sounds as great as ever, it just needs to be turned up much louder to get the same results as before.

I'm using JRiver and the setting for volume is 100%, so that doesn't appear to be the culprit.

Any ideas? Thank you 

8 hours ago, mttbsh said:

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the Microrendu?

I have been using mine with the UltraCap LPS-1 power supply and have recently noticed that the volume on my amp has to be turned up about 50% higher to get the same volume from music played through the Microrendu as I've enjoyed for months. Other sources produce sound at the same volume as before through the amp, so it's not an issue with the amp.

I've gone to sonicorbiter.com and set DAC to MAX volume, refreshed, rebooted, unplugged and reconnected the power supply but no change. Music sounds as great as ever, it just needs to be turned up much louder to get the same results as before.

I'm using JRiver and the setting for volume is 100%, so that doesn't appear to be the culprit.

Any ideas? Thank you 

Go to Settings / MPD/DLNA and press Save.

Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm that the Limits upper value matches the Front Left and Right Playback value (your values might be different): 

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 99
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 99 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 99 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

If they do not press the Set DAC to Max Value.  

i finally got my micro idsd setup today with the microrendu and roon .

..but it was difficult initially...i guess i'm not understanding something.

a few questions please..

(see screenshot below please)

1/when setting up the microrendu, for the ''audio device'' in the 1st dropdown

i chose my ifi micro idsd (as that is the DAC i'm using)..but oddly it  didn't work..

.instead it only worked when i chose 'usb'......?...

2/so a further question: what would i choose if i want to try my chord mojo or dragonfly red as alternate DACs, please?

3/also it is adviseable or not to use the ifi puirifier 2 with the micro idsd when using the microrendu?

i thought it'd read somewhere not advised to use thing else in the chain...

overall i'm having fun with this device and look forward to adding the iso regen

(I already have the ultracaps).

Roon is certainly fun to try the different services, too.

many thanks for any tips/advice/feedback.

april14MR.thumb.PNG.06d8f77b01b22304192ef6026aba3677.PNG

I can't get my jriver to work with my microrendu. I had it working once, then I switched back to USB output and now I can't get to work agiain. I keep getting the error that it will not play using Direct Sound with 44.1 kHz 2 channel format. Anyone have any set up instructions? I have it in DNLA output. 

15 hours ago, Cytomark said:

I can't get my jriver to work with my microrendu. I had it working once, then I switched back to USB output and now I can't get to work agiain. I keep getting the error that it will not play using Direct Sound with 44.1 kHz 2 channel format. Anyone have any set up instructions? I have it in DNLA output. 

You should only have a USB output. If you made a custom DAC I would delete it. Then go to Settings/ MPD/DLNA and press Save. The recommended JRiver setup can be found here:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26607-sonicorbiter-dlnampd-output-mode/ 

I was once able to get the urendu to work with JRiver 22 on my Windows 10 PC. went back to DAC for a comparison and now cannot get the rendu to work. I keep getting the error displayed in the images section. I have gone through all the instructions, Have multiple Google searches, all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas.

Capture rendu error.PNG

16 hours ago, Cytomark said:

I was once able to get the urendu to work with JRiver 22 on my Windows 10 PC. went back to DAC for a comparison and now cannot get the rendu to work. I keep getting the error displayed in the images section. I have gone through all the instructions, Have multiple Google searches, all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas.

Capture rendu error.PNG

That error has to do with JRiver trying to play the content locally and not streaming to the microRendu.