IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I was frustrated because it seemed weird that I would need an Internet connection for local playback, but if it’s just an IP address that makes much more sense, and I’m sure I can figure it out. 

(In other news, I have a second amp coming today so I can try monoblocking my system, and just by pure chance both my kids are home from school today. Arghh...)

11 hours ago, zachawry said:

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I was frustrated because it seemed weird that I would need an Internet connection for local playback, but if it’s just an IP address that makes much more sense, and I’m sure I can figure it out. 

(In other news, I have a second amp coming today so I can try monoblocking my system, and just by pure chance both my kids are home from school today. Arghh...)

The internet assists in locating the unit on your network. You would need the internet if you were to stream from an internet based music service like Tidal or Qobuz. You would also need the internet for any updates.   

On 12/23/2019 at 7:36 PM, vortecjr said:

Thank you. I can’t recall having to do that before. Enjoy! 

Unfortunately the problem is here again...

Same as before, files above 24bit/96khz will not play. The roon trick did not work this time and the squeezelite settings are already at sample format 32. I also tried to set a 1000ms delay. Any idea what I can try?

2 hours ago, Blackfiction said:

Same as before, files above 24bit/96khz will not play. The roon trick did not work this time and the squeezelite settings are already at sample format 32. I also tried to set a 1000ms delay. Any idea what I can try?

No...it's very odd behavior. 

1 hour ago, Blackfiction said:

Posted a bit too early. The roon trick did work. It seems that the UR/DAC combo needs to play a 24bit/192khz file and when it does I can switch back to squeezelite. Problem is that it is quite a hassle. Is there some sort of fix one can think of?

7 hours ago, Blackfiction said:

Posted a bit too early. The roon trick did work. It seems that the UR/DAC combo needs to play a 24bit/192khz file and when it does I can switch back to squeezelite. Problem is that it is quite a hassle. Is there some sort of fix one can think of?

I don’t think this is your issue if you have a Benchmark DAC, but it sounds as though you have explored almost everything else.  

When I first got my Signature Rendu SE, I found that I had a crash and needed to restart devices and apps if I mixed different bitrates and sample rates while playing.  (As I use a lot of playlists and the shuffle function often, this became a big deal.)  

I raised the issue in these forums and was informed that XMOS DACs could cause this problem with USB connections if the DAC manufacturer did not update firmware to apply a fix. I raised this issue to the manufacturer of my DAC and it updated my DAC soon after.  The problem has not recurred.

I don’t know if your DAC is XMOS and if you are using USB rather than converting to another input, but you might want to look into this if your DAC possibly could have this problem.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

There is definitely an XMOS bug on a few devices and the manufacturer would need to update the device firmware to fix it.

This is an interesting observation that came in from a customer last night. I would be interested in your feedback if you can test along these lines.
I swapped out the USB cable to a basic USB cable provided with a Benchmark DAC that I own. This eliminated the problem. However, the problem persists when I go back to my Sablon audio USB cable and Lampizator USB cable. As far as I know, both of these cables do not have a power connection. The Lampizator USB cable was actually made to work with their DACs.

Hi,

Running ultraRendu on 2.7 via LPS 1.2.   Last night electrical storm created brief power reset.   Everything came back up, but I am unable to get Squeezelite app to restart.   It seems that no matter what I do, it remains "Stopped". I run LMS and it feeds other players just fine.  Here's what I've done:

1. Rebooted uR

2. Powered LPS 1.2 down then restarted

3. Restarted Squeezelite.  Lots of times.

4. Using application switcher, chose other apps.  Can get everyone EXCEPT Squeezelite to become "Active"

5. Deleted Squeezelite app

6. Reinstalled.  First time got unhappy messages.  Tried again and it appeared.

7. Tried again to restart Squeezelite.  Will not become active.

What next?

Thanks,

Ralph

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 2.27.23 PM.png

Hi. I received helpful replies a week or so ago about how to use my ultraRendu without connecting it to a router with an Internet connection. I used this page for instructions on how to create a bridge: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

(Before I said I was using a Mac, but I'm actually using Win 10 on Bootcamp on my Mac Mini.) 

To describe my setup: 

*Computer connected to Internet over Wifi. 

*Computer connected over Ethernet to router with no Internet connection.

*UltraRendu connected over Ethernet to this router. 

*Bridge created in Win 10. 

My computer can now access the Internet fine (before creating the bridge, it couldn't when connected to the router), but my computer still cannot see the UltraRendu. 

I'm so close, but there is something I'm missing. Any idea what? 

Thanks very much. 

On 1/11/2020 at 3:42 PM, E-Stat said:

Hi,

Running ultraRendu on 2.7 via LPS 1.2.   Last night electrical storm created brief power reset.   Everything came back up, but I am unable to get Squeezelite app to restart.   It seems that no matter what I do, it remains "Stopped". I run LMS and it feeds other players just fine.  Here's what I've done:

1. Rebooted uR

2. Powered LPS 1.2 down then restarted

3. Restarted Squeezelite.  Lots of times.

4. Using application switcher, chose other apps.  Can get everyone EXCEPT Squeezelite to become "Active"

5. Deleted Squeezelite app

6. Reinstalled.  First time got unhappy messages.  Tried again and it appeared.

7. Tried again to restart Squeezelite.  Will not become active.

What next?

Thanks,

Ralph

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 2.27.23 PM.png

Your DAC has to be listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics for streaming to commence. Power cycle your DAC and the Rendu in that order an then check Apps / DAC Diagnostics.

I made some changes to my system and I'm having problems getting things going. System is NUC running Roon Server->ultraRendu->Aqua La Voce S3. Roon appears to be playing but the time is not moving. Following is my DAC diagnostics:

aqua aqua USB Audio 384 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S16_LE
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: SPECIAL
Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)
amixer: Mixer hw:0 load error: Connection timed out

I've tried rebooting the server, rebooting the ultraRendu, updating ultraRendu software, powering down the DAC, switching to HQPlayer as output. I'm not sure what else to do. Any advice?

7 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Your DAC has to be listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics for streaming to commence. Power cycle your DAC and the Rendu in that order an then check Apps / DAC Diagnostics.

Understand.  All worked for weeks following the Audio Research DAC8 getting a new USB card without the need to any additional configuration.  

I re-installed 2.7 and Squeezelite and continually got "no sound card" messages during those steps.   When I view configuration, there are no audio drivers available.  I can get Roon Ready to become active.   Also attached are messages from re-installing Squeezelite where "invalid card number" and "no soundcards found" appears multiple times.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 11.02.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 11.08.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 11.08.41 AM.png

10 hours ago, vgrubb said:

I made some changes to my system and I'm having problems getting things going. System is NUC running Roon Server->ultraRendu->Aqua La Voce S3. Roon appears to be playing but the time is not moving. Following is my DAC diagnostics:

aqua aqua USB Audio 384 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S16_LE
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: SPECIAL

Status: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)

amixer: Mixer hw:0 load error: Connection timed out

I've tried rebooting the server, rebooting the ultraRendu, updating ultraRendu software, powering down the DAC, switching to HQPlayer as output. I'm not sure what else to do. Any advice?

I replied to your email. 

5 hours ago, E-Stat said:

Understand.  All worked for weeks following the Audio Research DAC8 getting a new USB card without the need to any additional configuration.  

I re-installed 2.7 and Squeezelite and continually got "no sound card" messages during those steps.   When I view configuration, there are no audio drivers available.  I can get Roon Ready to become active.   Also attached are messages from re-installing Squeezelite where "invalid card number" and "no soundcards found" appears multiple times.

Post an image of Apps / DAC Diagnostics.

6 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Post an image of Apps / DAC Diagnostics.

"No audio devices found."

Just like the "No soundcards found" message following re-installing SL. 

Is "invalid card number, invalid card number, invalid card number" a normally expected message?

Hi, looking for some advice please...

House had a power failure and now I can't get my microRendu going. Not found on network, and no led lights on/blinking at the ethernet port. It's powered by an IFI iPower, which I confirmed is working, microRendu also gets warm. Ttried an other ethernet cable too but still the same.

Could it be a hardware failure in the microRendu or an OS issue?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, gadbois said:

Hi, looking for some advice please...

House had a power failure and now I can't get my microRendu going. Not found on network, and no led lights on/blinking at the ethernet port. It's powered by an IFI iPower, which I confirmed is working, microRendu also gets warm. Ttried an other ethernet cable too but still the same.

Could it be a hardware failure in the microRendu or an OS issue?

Thank you!

Sounds like you might need a new SD card.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Have you checked the DAC with your computer?

Just tried out with RPi player.  Problem does appear to be DAC related.  

Thanks for your assistance.  Just seemed odd that I would get so many error messages upon re-installing 2.7 and SL.

5 hours ago, E-Stat said:

Just tried out with RPi player.  Problem does appear to be DAC related.  

Thanks for your assistance.  Just seemed odd that I would get so many error messages upon re-installing 2.7 and SL.

Okay. Just hit me up again if it won't play when the issue with the DAC has been resolved. My guess is that it's fine.  

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Dazed and Confused said:

I've recently re-subscribed to Qobuz on a one month trial basis, but when I login via microrendu and Linn Kinsky I get "unable to load content". I have no issue accessing my Tidal account via the same method. Are you able to help? Many thanks

We have not recommended Kinsky in a while because it's no longer under development. Have a look at this post for a good alternative:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/29102-sonicorbiter-the-operating-system/?do=findComment&comment=1026100

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had experience using the Signature SE with DSD512?

I have been enjoying my Signature with the MSB Select DAC for the last year.

Recently I upgraded to MSB’s ProUSB input which supports DSD512. While everything works fine up to DSD256 or PCM768, at DSD512 there is music+static noise. MSB folks were very patient and helpful and sent me a second pretested set of ProUSB interface.

My setup is:

Mac 2018 i7 6 core > Etheregen ip switch > Signature SE > MSB ProUsb > MSB Select DAC via optical link

Signature is updated to 2.8 firmware.

I’ve tried changing ip switches, USB cables, sending Native DSD512 files directly from Roon, and from HQPlayer. All give the same static noise.

Any help appreciated 

Thanks

Geoff

3 hours ago, Geoff368 said:

Signature is updated to 2.8 firmware.

I’ve tried changing ip switches, USB cables, sending Native DSD512 files directly from Roon, and from HQPlayer. All give the same static noise.

I also had trouble playing native DSD26 and DSD512 files (stuttering, skips, noise), not on a Signature Rendu SE like you, but on a ultrarendu. Maybe the workarounds I tried may be of some help you.

First, the problems appeared following a switch to SonicOrbiter 2.8. Everything played fine with 2.7. Perhaps you could try reinstalling 2.7 on your rendu and see what happens.

Second, I found that after reinstalling 2.8 on my rendu and lowering the speed of my ethernet interface on the file server from 1GBit to 100Mbits, all DSD files played correctly, without any noise or hiccups. My server is a NUCi5 running Win10. You are using a Mac, but I guess you can effet such a change there too. Anyway, it is worth a try.

I know @barrowslistens to a lot of DSD music on his SignatureRendu setup. I am sure he could have ideas too about your issues.

Please keep me informed

Best regards