IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

I just received my uRendu. I am trying to setup my network and I'm having some issues (I've never setup a network before).

My Xfinity cable modem is in a different room. My music room has no wired ethernet connection.

My setup: 2011 MacBook Pro (Yosemite) > Blue Jeans Cat 6a > plugged into WAN port on Apple Airport Extreme > Blue Jeans Cat 6a > microRendu >usb.....

I just purchased the AirPort Extreme for the sole purpose of using it with the microRendu. I also purchased Roon to use the uRendu in that mode.

I ran the AirPort Utility to setup/configure my Extreme and that appeared to be successful. However, I am getting a flashing amber light on the Airport Extreme (no access to internet), even though I am getting wireless service on my MacBook Pro. My I am unsure of my next steps to properly configure my Extreme for use with my uRendu.

I believe I've read that people with my situation (no ethernet connection in the music room) with an Airport Express would use "client mode". However, looking around the menus, my Extreme does not appear to have a client mode option.

Could anyone please provide step by step instructions to help me get my Airport Extreme configured correctly so that i can then move on to getting the microRendu setup (for example am I using the Extreme to "extend a wireless network" or "create a wireless network")?

Thanks,

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

@Blake - Does your Xfinity cable modem also provide Wifi to your home, or do you have a wireless router connected to it?

If you can let us know the brand/model of the router you are using ( or if part of the Xfinity Cable modem than the model # ) then it should be relatively tight forward to help you setup the Apple Extreme ( you are correct, unlike an Apple Express there is no client mode ).

Do you have another Apple Extreme providing primary Wifi access, if yes the you would configure the new one to extend a wireless network.

baddog, sockpit: We do have WiFi already set up in our house through Xfinity. The unit is a Cisco XB3 (with Xfinity logos on it) WiFi/Modem/Router. It provides WiFi throughout our house. It is the only router in the house (other than the Apple Extreme I just purchased).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

If I understand your setup (which isn't dissimilar to mine at home), I think you want to "Extend a wireless network" and don't plug anything into the WAN port on the AirPort Extreme. Just plug the microRendu and your MBP into the LAN ports.

--David

Hi David: That may be the problem then- I initially plugged both Ethernet cables into LAN ports, but then in the AirPort Utility device setup procedure, it directed me to plug one of the cables into the WAN port, so I connected the cable coming out of my MBP into the WAN port.

Should I return this Extreme and get the AirPort Express?

Our WiFi coverage in the house from the Xfinity unit is just fine, even with multiple people on it at the same time so I am not really looking to change the WiFi setup.

I just need the device for my uRendu.

EDIT: Yes, this is the latest Extreme (802.11ac)

After thinking about it a bit more....

The Extreme is rather large and ideally I'd prefer a smaller device. If I return the Express, should I get the Apple AirPort Express Base Station (MC414LL/A) 802.11n, or, should I get the older/smaller AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)?

Or, does it not really make any difference given that it will simply be used for the uRendu?

EDIT: Sorry, missed baddog and orgel comments while posting. It sounds like the Express 802.11n is the way to go then so I avoid the negative impact?

David, baddog, Mike, sockpit: My sincere thanks for all the help. That's why I love CA.

Because the large size of the Extreme is a negative, and the fact that I don't have any other needs for the device in my music room, I am going with the Express.

For the gigabit Ethernet switch, I will get the one linked by David. In order to use this switch, do I just install an Ethernet cable between the switch and my Express? If so, I guess I need to purchase another Blue Jeans Cat 6a cable.

That's a nice Netgear switch and I do like Netgear products, but for this application you might also wish to consider the TRENDnet TEG-S50g switch....I have that switch connected to an Airport Express.

Thanks for the head's up Mikey. That is a good idea regarding the iPower so that makes the TrendNet unit preferable. Speaking of power, do you have any ideas for a different power source for the Express?

In terms of the Airport Express, based strictly on looking at photos and comparing with my office AirPort Extreme, I think the Express has an internal PS. So if you want to use an upgraded PS, you'd want to look at third-party alternatives to the Airport Extreme.

--David

David, you might be right. I thought I read that the Express uses a wallwart (someone in a uRendu thread had mentioned that was an advantage of the Express over the Extreme, namely, the ability to use after market power supplies), but I can't seem to find that post at the moment.

And that brings up a final thought for @Blake, do you need a switch at all? If all you wish to connect to the Airport Express via Ethernet is the mRendu, connect it directly and skip the switch entirely until such time as you need additional Ethernet ports in that room.

I *think* the issue is that the Airport Express only has 1 LAN port (and 1 WAN port), as noted above by orgel (David). I believe I need two LAN ports to use the Airport Express with the uRendu in "Client Mode". Thus the need for the switch. At least I hope I have that right.

If you setup the Airport Express by setting it in client mode to connect to your existing wireless network, and you only need one ethernet connection ( to the microRendu ) then that would be all the hardware required.

I believe that is how @sockpit has his microRendu configured with his Airport Express.

My chain will be: MBP > Ethernet cable > Airport Express > Ethernet cable > microRendu

So wouldn't I need 2 LAN ports for Client Mode? I was thinking WAN ports can't be used for Client Mode, at least not with the Express.

I didn't realize @Blake only needs one LAN connection in that room.

I will be using Roon Mode.

Option A: MBP (wireless-no cable) > Airport Express > Ethernet cable > microRendu

Option B: MBP > Ethernet Cable > Airport Express > Ethernet cable > microRendu

I thought Jesus had concerns about the reliability of Option A for hi-rez music and recommended Option B as the superior/more reliable solution?

My plan is to use Option B, and for that setup, don't I need two LAN ports?

Problem: No Sound

microRendu: the light on the microRendu is orange and blinking, sometimes rapidly.

Setup: Comcast/Modem/Router > BJC Cat6a ethernet cable > Airport Extreme...... connected wireless to Airport Express > BJC Cat6a ethernet cable > microRendu > usb cable > Berkeley Alpha USB converter > LH Labs Geek Pulse Xfi DAC.

Other: I am using Roon Mode. My Express is set to "Extend Wireless Network". I have good wireless internet connection, I have solid green lights on the Extreme and Express. Express has Airplay Enabled and I have also tried it with Airplay not enabled.

I am using a MacBook Pro to control, and I selected the Apple Express as the playback device from my MBP System Preferences (and changed the Roon settings for system playback through the microRendu). I get no sound at all.

If I change the MBP's System Preferences to play from the MBP's internal speakers (and switch Roon settings to play from my computer) everything works, I can play songs on Roon, etc. and I have sound. Once I switch back to the Express as the playback device, I get no sound.

Any ideas?

From Roon on your computer go to Settings/Audio. Under Networked enable RoonReady - Sonore microRendu. If you do not see RoonReady - Sonore microRendu from the list in Roon you have a network issue that needs to be resolved before you can continue.

In my Audio settings on Roon, microRendu is shown and I've enabled it. Also, on the Roon main music playback screen, at the bottom it lists my Zone 1 name and a it has a picture of the microRendu next to my Zone 1 name.

Success! Jesus, I fixed the no sound issue. It was a recognition problem. Sometimes it takes many restarts and connecting/disconnecting downstream components and cables for the system to recognize a change in playback output.

Did you wind up using an Ethernet switch, or just run straight out of an AE to the mRendu?

My setup is: Comcast/Cisco Wireless Router/Modem > BJC Cat 6a > Airport Extreme (these devices are in a different room that is fairly close to my dedicated music room).

the Extreme is wirelessly connected to my Airport Express (I selected "Extend a Wireless Network" on the Express), which is connected with a BJC Cat 6a cable to my microRendu.

Because the wireless between the Extreme and the Express is working it looks like I won't need the switcher. I bought the one you recommended but didn't end up opening the box because wireless works, but it is cheap so I may keep it around in case I need it in the future.

• 1 month later...
All I know is that in practice I heard no improvement after the expense and hassle of running BJ Cat 6 into my listening room.

Cheers.

Sorry about the expense and hassle, but selfishly, I am relieved that you found no improvement. I've wondered about the issue of sound quality of wired vs. wireless and I really did not want to run Ethernet cable to my listening room to improve the sound quality, which is already damn good.

I can rest easy now and simply enjoy my wireless Airport Express solution.

I'm doing basically the same - I have an Airport Extreme (not Express) at each end of the connection, and a 3' (generic) Ethernet cable running to the mRendu.

No dropouts and sound is great!

NOTE: I originally used an Airport Express at the mRendu end and actually wound up having some dropouts when streaming DSD256 / 512. Switching to an Extreme eliminated that. I'd try your Express first rather than buying a new Extreme if you don't need it.

Thanks John. I have an Extreme connected to my main router/modem for the house, and then the Extreme wirelessly connects to my Express. No dropouts or other issues, so I'm a happy camper.

I have an ultraRendu.

I downloaded Linn SongCast, but SongCast does not show as an ouput option when I select the App Switcher.  SongCast is installed on my computer.

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

It's on by default with the MPD/DLNA output mode. It's not a very good solution though.

The plan is to be able to listen to the audio of uploaded music videos on YouTube.  I think I recall reading that with Song Cast and rendu, the video and audio may not sync up, which doesn't bother me.  Is there a better option to do this than Song Cast?

• 1 month later...

Hi Jesus,

My Ultrarendu seems to have lost power.  It has been working perfectly for a long time.   I keep it powered on 24/7 with an Uptone LPS 1.2.  I went to listen today and the LED on the Ultrarendu will not light up.

The LPS 1.2 is working fine.  Thoughts?

27 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Power the Rendu with the LPS-1’s charger and see what happens?

Good call.  The Ultrarendu powered up using the LPS-1.2 charger.  The problem could be my aftermarket DC power cable not getting power from the LPS 1.2 to the Ultrarendu.  My stock DC power cable is at the office so I will check on Monday.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I updated my software to 2.8, rebooted, but the version still shows as 2.7.  I tried multiple times.  Any suggestions?

When I go to the sonic orbiter page, my UltraRendu shows up, just fine.  I then click on the "Manage" button but they it says "the site can't be reached".  

I tried plugging the UltraRendu off and on, but the problem persists.

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The units shows up on the sonicorbiter website for a while, but if the unit is not booting up then eventually it will be removed from the list. It sounds like the unit is not booting up and you may need a new SD card. Pick one up from our website under software. 

Thanks, I ordered the card yesterday.

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

You may need to reboot your router/modem as well. 

Tried that as well.  As of this morning, my UltraRendu does not even show up in sonic orbiter. Hopefully the new card will sort things out.

UPDATE:  Just worked my way around the rack and the light on the UltraRendu is red, not green.

5 hours ago, MrDerrick said:

Blake,

Are you cycling the power off and back on or disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable?

Every now and then I have to disconnect and reconnect the Ethernet cable for my Rendus to show up.

Also, in your internet connection properties, are your settings allowing network devices to be "discoverable"? 

If the LED on the rear panel is not green, you more than likely not connected and are a no go.

You have to purchase 2.8 on a new mini SD card to upgrade the software.

The UltaRendu has been powered off, rebooted and ethernet cable plugged and unplugged.  All other devices on the network are working (Melco N1/A2).  The light is red.