IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

22 hours ago, jcn3 said:

@muslhead -- i think you need to take a step back.  you've got people here that are trying to help.  it's not the products that are the issue -- they're good and they both work.  a lot of people use jriver as a dlna server and a rendu as a renderer/endpoint.  the issue is some setting(s) that need to be adjusted -- it's just a matter of which ones.

i think the best place to start is with eliminating the custom dac settings as was mentioned above -- there is definitely a history of that causing issues.

the second thing i would do, is go into jriver and change the jriver dlna settings.  in your current settings (from your screen shot) under audio > format, you're outputting everything at 24/192 (your setting says "PCM 24-bit") -- i would change that to "original".  that way you're eliminating the possibility that your jriver server is contributing to the issue (it'll just be passing the file on at it's original sample rate and frequency).

don't worry, you'll get there.

I am confused by something. As I see the posted JRiver screenshot settings for the JRiver DLNA server, there should be no issue streaming native DSD.  The "original" format is selected and the 24/192 setting is grayed out.  The only time that setting is NOT grayed out is when you have selected an option other than "original" in the "format" picklist. 

This is the same setting that I use and, after some setup issues with my DAC that I mistakenly took to be Rendu issues because they only appeared when I added the Rendu, it is highly stable and noise-free.  My DAC reports that all signals are being processed in their native resolutions, through 384khz PCM and DSD256. 

Based on my own experience, I would rule out JRiver as the culprit here.  That said, as you can see from this very post, there sometimes are synergy issues between streamers and DACs that do need to be sorted out. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Melvin said:

A bit of frustration this evening .. the music just stopped playing in the middle of a John Coltrane album I was enjoying. Tried everything to no avail. I'm tired (busy week). Will attempt to sort it out tomorrow, unless I'm still tired. At least I have an alternative in the mean time. Did I mention being tired?

As a Trane fan, I feel your pain.

ThIs used to happen to me fairly often.  My routine for restarting music was to power off the DAC, power off the rendu, restart the DAC, restart the rendu, check that the rendu interface sees the DAC again, go into rendu settings, and re-save the DLNA or Squeezelite app settings as the case may be.  It's a pain, but it usually has worked.

When it has not, I sometimes have to unplug my DAC and rendu from power or reboot my switch, but that is pretty rare.

Maybe you did all this stuff and it didn't take.  In that case, do it again.  At some point, you should have music again.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, Melvin said:

Well, last night I did everything twice (including restarting the network) and, after the second time, I powered-down the mR for the rest of the evening. This morning I powered-up the system, checked to make sure the mR was seeing the DAC, selected more Coltrane, and ... MUSIC

Glad it worked out! 

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

No playback to Kii Control. I moved my system from direct to the server USB out to the Kii Control and connected the Signature Rendu as both a Roon Endpoint and a Squeezlite.  Neither will play.  Moved the USB cable back to the server and it still plays fine.

There is no progress on the track playback and after about 5 seconds it goes to the next track.

(Note I also tried LMS and SQ on the Rendu and no playback)

1835968231_ScreenShot2019-07-01at10_09_19PM.thumb.png.558e808ffc5a6329cb914aa1cb1a96f8.png

I am going to try powering the Rendu off and back on with the Kii Speakers on. In case there is some setup problem.  

Bob

I probably should leave this to JR but, when I have the same failure to recognize the DAC fully, I have to power down both the DAC and the rendu, repower the DAC first, and then restart the rendu.  That suggests to me that the kii DAC needs to be powered on first and only then the rendu restarted.  Unplugging and plugging both back in before the restarts also is a good idea.

15 minutes ago, bobfa said:

(Thought it was USB cable for a while...)

Don't dismiss that possibility.  I sometimes have had to switch to a $2 throwaway cable to make the connection as part of a reboot and then, once things are up and running, hot swap in my "audiophile" cable.  I have been told that some audio USB cables depart from the official USB spec for the sake of improved sound quality.

1 hour ago, Lifer said:

Everytime I drop the internet connection to my Sonore Signature Rendu SE and replug it I go through hell trying to get the device to be seen by MySonicorbiter.  I play with the connections, I restart the Rendu, I restart the dac, I eventually get it going again but it takes 10 to 20 minutes of fussing with the damned thing.  What if anything am I doing wrong?  Nothing else on my network or in my system causes me this grief.

Lifer, I have had the same issues when I recycle the modem or router or run an OS update on the Signature Rendu SE itself.  My current routine, using JRiver (with DLNA) or LMS as the controller software, is to do this after the recycle completes:

(1).  Turn off power to Signature Rendu DAC, and FMC/OM (if applicable). 

(2).  Repower in this order, one unit at a time: 

(a):  FMC/OM;

(b). DAC; and 

(c). Rendu. 

When DAC repowers, allow it to complete its full power on routine.  When Rendu repowers, make sure that default 44.1khz sample rate displays, if your DAC shows the rate. 

(3).  Allow Rendu to complete power on cycle and then find interface on your phone/tablet/computer browser. 

(4).  Check DAC diagnostics to be sure that the first and third windows confirm handshake completed. 

(5).  Go to Rendu settings tab.  Restart your controller software by clicking on "save." Wait until green status bar appears and confirms restart is complete. 

(6).  If your server software can be started, do so.  (I use JRiver, located on my computer, so it's easy to restart it from my phone using remote access software.). After restart completes, make sure the Rendu shows as a client, if your server software can show you that. 

(7).  Restart your controller software on your phone or tablet, if that is how you address the Rendu. Make sure that both server and Rendu client are accessible from that software.  

(8).  Choose your music and hit "play.". Usually, you hear something, but sometimes nothing will play or music will appear to play but be inaudible.  In that case, try redoing steps (5) through (8).

(9).  When all this fails, start again at step (1).  Eventually, it works, as you have noted. 

The days of shoving a CD into the player, making sure you have the right input, hitting "play," and hearing music immediately are over if you have gone to a streaming system.  Why do we do it?  Because it sounds amazing when it's humming.  Despite my fairly frequent frustration with getting all the pieces to play nicely with one another (and I have a decent amateur's understanding of networking), my system has never sounded better, even compared to when I had more expensive amplification and a top-of-the-line SACD player. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jcn3 said:

i think what he meant was that instead of assigning the static ip address on the device, assign the ip address on the router -- essentially a permanent lease to the opticalrendu.

Isn’t that the only way to do it with these devices?  I haven't figured out how to set a static IP address in their settings, so always have had to reserve their addresses in the router settings. If there is a way to do this at the device itself, I would love to know.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Melvin said:

The summer heat has passed here in the northeast and over the weekend I reconfigured my system from the cool-running solid state components to my warm-as-toast tubed ones (amp & DAC). I’ve run into a bit of an issue which I don’t remember having to deal with previously. The DAC, with it’s tube output stage, needs to be turned off after listening. When I fire up the DAC and amp again the mRendu needs to be rebooted before I’ll hear music. It sees the DAC every time but fails to play. So, I tried an Eitr in front of the DAC and kept the Eitr powered on. Same thing .. no music .. the mRendu must be rebooted even though the mRendu sees the Eitr. Am I missing something? Again, I don’t recall this being an issue previously and, in fact, I rarely had need to reboot. Thoughts? Much appreciated.

FWIW, I have solid state DACs and, if I ever have to power down either of them, I always have to power cycle my Rendus and re-save the MPD/DLNA app in "settings" after powering on the DACs or I won't hear anything. 

That's true whether or not the Rendus' control software says that it sees the DACs.  (Usually it doesn't at that point, but it sometimes does.)

I simply view the DAC and Rendu recycling necessity and software re-saving as expected behavior and part of the use routine with these products. 

• 2 months later...
56 minutes ago, mtcs said:

I already took that out of the chain to help isolate the problem. No difference so still searching for something else. Thanks.

Please indulge me the recycling of what I posted in this thread a few months ago, as I have found that it is a useful routine when I experience issues like yours after a firmware update or residential power failure or on other occasions when my Rendu/DAC combination decides to go silent. 

(1).  Turn off power to the Rendu, the DAC, and the FMC/OM (if applicable). 

(2).  Repower in this order, one unit at a time: 

(a):  FMC/OM;

(b). DAC; and 

(c). Rendu. 

(3). When the DAC repowers, allow it to complete its full power-on routine. 

(4). When the Rendu starts to repower, make sure that default 44.1khz sample rate displays on your DAC, if you have a DAC that shows the rate. 

(5).  Allow the Rendu to complete its power-on cycle and then find its control interface on your phone/tablet/computer browser. 

(6).  Go to the Rendu interface's Apps tab.  Check DAC diagnostics to be sure that the first and third windows on the screen confirm that the startup handshake completed. If not, repeat steps (2) through (5) until the handshake completes.

(7).  Go to the Rendu interface's Settings tab.  Select the Rendu app that you use to control your music playback. Restart your controller software app by clicking on "save." Wait until the green status bar appears and confirms the software's restart is complete. 

(8).  If your server software can be restarted, do that.  (I use JRiver, located on my computer, so it's easy to restart it from my phone using remote access software.)  After the server software restart completes, make sure the Rendu shows as a client, if your server software can show you that. 

(9).  Restart your controller software app on your phone or tablet or your computer browser, whichever you use to play music through your Rendu. Make sure that both the server software and Rendu client are accessible from that your control app or browser. If not, try redoing steps (7) through (9). 

(10).  Choose your music and hit "play." Usually, you will hear something, but sometimes nothing will start to play or music will appear to play but be inaudible.  In that case, try redoing steps (2) through (9).

(11).  When all this fails, start again at step (1).  Eventually, it works, as you have noted, unless you have network issues that I can't address here. 

I don't want to make this sound worse than it is.  It takes under five minutes to run through and, soon enough, you get the steps memorized.  Streaming, at least in my experience, always is fraught with more peril than just putting a CD into a player, choosing the right input, and pressing "play" on the player.  The sound quality and jukebox capabilities of a streaming system make the effort to restart things worth the candle. 

Jesus' and your posts remind me that, when I get really frustrated by having to go through this cycle, I both restart the router and unplug both the Rendu and DAC.  The two devices don't have to be unplugged for more than a few moments before being plugged back in.  Those extra steps sometimes take care of the playback issues.

6 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

I have found that for some circumstances where the DAC, or ultraDigital in my case, is not appearing in the diagnostics screen that simply unplugging the USB cable from the Rendu and reconnecting solves the problem. I have yet to find one sequence that will solve connectivity problems 100% of the time. Honestly, I dread having to restart my uR.

This hasn't ever solved my problem, although I sometimes have had good luck swapping in a $3 USB will get things going. I then can swap my regular cable back in. (And, yes, the cable manufacturer has assured me that my regular cable is fully USB 2.0 compliant, so my issues aren't caused by using a wonky audiophile non-spec cable.) 

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

What are you guys streaming when it stops playing? local files, Tidal/Qobuz, hi-res/low-res, DSD?

I only play files stored on a NAS over the network, mostly using MPD/DLNA but sometimes LMS.  They can be anything from low bitrate mp3 (as low as 128 mbps) to DSD.  Recently, I have been focusing on high res PCM and DSD files, though.  I also enjoy using the system as a jukebox, bouncing from album to album or shuffling a playlist rather than listening to a single album all the way through.

My system rarely conks out while playing files.  Once a listening session starts, it usually lasts until I shut off the music. 

The system most often conks out after being powered but idle for awhile, in which case saving the MPD/DLNA or LMS app again in “settings” sometimes gets it back on track.  (When I can’t get music to play audibly after the system has been idle, even though the control software says it is playing, I sometimes, but not nearly always, note that the DAC displays an incorrect sampling rate.). 

Most often, though, it happens after I have run the update routine in Apps (whether or not I reboot after finding no changes were made), after a power failure or shut-off (we are remodeling here), or if I am changing something in my system that makes it prudent to shut off the Rendu. In those cases, I run my routine set out above.  Usually, I can get a restart after no more than two or three times through my checklist.

These are the routine issues.  As you may recall from correspondence after I bought the SE, I had some DAC issues (handshaking, XMOS 24-44/88 bug) that manifested similarly.  Those seem to have been resolved by a DAC firmware update.  

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

His issue is different and thus I need his feedback. 

Sorry.  When you referred to "you guys, " I thought that included me. 

• 1 month later...

Is it better to run a new ultraRendu with the Uptone LPS-1 (not 1.2) that I used with my old microRendu 1.4 (at 7v) or with a W4S LPS (only at 9v)? 

I gather that Sonore no longer recommends the LPS-1 for use with any Sonore product, but I had no issues at all with the microRendu for the several years that I used it with this LPS.  I generally think that running towards the bottom of the voltage range usually is a better idea than at the top, so that favors the LPS-1, but don't want to use a product that the manufacturer doesn't think is a good idea.  

Are either of these viable long term power supplies or is it smarter to bite the financial bullet and buy a more recent 7v model? 

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Mike:

There are still hundreds of people happily using their original UltraCap LPS-1 linear power supplies with microRendus and ultraRendus.  

To give slightly better technical performance (preventing high-source-impedance leakage currents from entering and passing through the UltraCap design), we suggest that you "energize"/charge your LPS-1 with the same internally ground-shunted SMPS that we ship with the UltraCap LPS-1.2.  It is available here for just $17

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uptone-branded-7-5v-4-8a-36w-smps-with-internal-ground-shunt

Thanks, Alex. Just ordered the piece. 

6 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks, Alex. Just ordered the piece. 

And sorry, all. Meant to post my question in the ultraRendu thread, not the opticalRendu one.

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Blackfiction said:

Posted a bit too early. The roon trick did work. It seems that the UR/DAC combo needs to play a 24bit/192khz file and when it does I can switch back to squeezelite. Problem is that it is quite a hassle. Is there some sort of fix one can think of?

I don’t think this is your issue if you have a Benchmark DAC, but it sounds as though you have explored almost everything else.  

When I first got my Signature Rendu SE, I found that I had a crash and needed to restart devices and apps if I mixed different bitrates and sample rates while playing.  (As I use a lot of playlists and the shuffle function often, this became a big deal.)  

I raised the issue in these forums and was informed that XMOS DACs could cause this problem with USB connections if the DAC manufacturer did not update firmware to apply a fix. I raised this issue to the manufacturer of my DAC and it updated my DAC soon after.  The problem has not recurred.

I don’t know if your DAC is XMOS and if you are using USB rather than converting to another input, but you might want to look into this if your DAC possibly could have this problem.

• 2 months later...

How is the distribution of the SE 2.8 cards going?  Should I just go ahead and order one online? 

12 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Mike if you bough a Signature Rendu SE or Signature Rendu SE optical directly from Sonore and have not heard from us you should email us. If you bought your units from another dealer you should email them.

I received mine today, actually.  Upgrade went without a hitch. Thanks to Adrian for getting it to me.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Nice...enjoy!

I spoke too early.  I ran a firmware update, as Adrian’s note suggested, the routine completed, I rebooted, and .... nothing.  I can’t access the unit at all, using MySonicOrbiter or directly.  It’s bricked.

Back to 2.7?

Nothing, quite literally.

After updating, I rebooted from the OS and got the 45 second countdown.  That ran out the clock and the screen froze.  

Then, I hard rebooted from the power switch.  When I tried to bring up the unit on sonicorbiter, I got the attached screenshot.

I then disconnected and reconnected the power cable and hard rebooted again.  Same sonicorbiter page.  

It’s a brick.

I remember this happening to others before the SD cards were pulled temporarily.  I assumed that I would not have this issue with a card received today, especially since I had no similar issues with my two ultraRendus when I updated them. 

580E8023-B6CC-44DF-8588-EA2B9D20633B.png

26 minutes ago, barrows said:

Mike, please note that disconnecting the power cable is never necessary with the Signature: turning off the back panel switch completely shuts down all power to the main board.

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem.  I have never had single Signature have this problem here (end up "bricked"), even with early releases of 2.8, so i ama a little curious as to what could be the problem.

If you are interested in trying again, I would suggest doing this:

With the Signature powered down from the back panel switch, insert the 2.8 card again.

Now power up from the back panel switch, and watch the rear panel LED as it boots.

The LED should start out Red, then it should go Orange, and finally become Green.

If/when you get a green LED on the back panel, open sonicorbiter.com and the Signature should be present.

When you did the software update and then re-booted, the sonicorbiter web page timed out before the Signature was fully booted, this is actually common, and the fix is just to be a little patient and wait until the LED on the back panel shows green, and then refresh the sonicorbiter web page.  I do not know why sonicorbiter.com times out before the re-boot is complete, but this is common.  I would suggest getting in the habit of looking at the back panel LED to understand the status of the Signature.  If you have more time now, i will be around online for a bit here to help.

Forgot to mention that the light on the back has been red since the update.

I just removed and reinserted the card and turned on the power.  Back in a minute to let you know whether it returned to green.

We are back in business here.  Reinserting the card was all that I had to do to get the unit recognized in the browser and saving the dlna app was all that I had to do to get music up and running.  Thanks for your help.

27 minutes ago, dmagnus1 said:

Just prior to my prior post, I was able to go to the mR by clicking "Manage", and went into Apps and DAC Diagnostics, and I was not able to see my Exogal Comet Plus there - I believe the message was to attach a USB DAC. The Comet is ON and is in working order - I am able to play my streaming TV audio feed through the DAC without difficulty, so I know the DAC is functional. The mR is connect by USB cable to the Comet, as always. I unplugged/replugged the mR to reboot it and did not see a change.

When my Rendu doesn’t see my otherwise-functioning DAC, I disconnect both from power, then power up the DAC, then power up the Rendu, then go into the Rendu’s settings and “save” my playback software settings.  That specific sequence usually works.  

Also, try a $2 USB cable instead of an audiophile one if that sequence doesn’t work.  My setup prefers those cables sometimes.  You can hotswap in the better cable once you are up and running.  

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I think my microRendu 1.4 has had it.  This evening it 'consumed' a Sonicorbiter card - which simply went deep into the slot as if the spring loaded part on the inside wasn't there. It's impossible to remove.

The reason for removing the card in the first place, originated from me wanting to change my DAC.  This obviously meant I needed to set the new DAC up in the app.  But when I went to Sonicorbiter.com it appeared that my mR was frozen or locked on screen - see below.  Clicking "Manage" would not open the Menu as normal - I tried many times.  Eventually I even went into my server and deleted the mR from my list of managed devices.  But still the screen was locked like this.

So the next move was to replace my 2.8 card with the 2.7 I had kept safely.  I took the 2.8 out, absolutely like normal - and then the 2.7 went in and simply disappeared. I guess the only other thing I can do now would be to unscrew the mR and take it apart, to see if there's anything I can do to save this product.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? The sad part is that it was working beautifully - sounding great.  

Thanks for any advice.

1396973673_ScreenShot2020-05-12at11_45_10PM.thumb.png.ea22b4248fbec3ceafa11af4023cd97e.png

I haven't experienced the problems that led you to want to try the previous SD card, but I definitely have had rendus swallow up SD cards.  When inserting them, one's aim has to be truer than is my old guy vision.

The card is easy enough to retrieve if you have the right magnetized tip screwdriver. (I got mine at Home Depot.)   Just unscrew the two tiny screws on the faceplate, shake out the "lost" card, reinsert it into the reader slot, and screw the faceplate back into place.