IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Deleted - problem solved by advice previously given by @vortecjr in this thread.  Thanks!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi @vortecjr - I was wondering if there is a way to be informed when a software update is ready for the Rendus, short of just running the update and seeing if anything happens.  If not, would it be possible to set something up so that when new/changed files appear in the Sonicorbiter repository, those users who wish to receive an alert get one?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, firedog said:

Some of these companies have told me that since Linux isn't standardized and they can't be sure their implementation will work on various streamers with different versions of Linux, they don't want to be responsible for a device not working with a specific streamer and it's software. 
Even several companies whose products do work with Linux streamers don't make that part of their specs, as they say all they can say with confidence is that their product "should" work with a given Linux steamer. I've personally been told this by 2 well known DAC makers.

Linux to my mind is far more standardized than Windows, especially regarding USB audio. Frankly, this sounds more like a lack of Linux knowledge.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You could try an iFi Audio Nano iDSD LE Portable DAC which has analog output and volume control. 

https://amzn.to/2Xx4joT

There's just been a thread about a couple of cautions regarding this course:

- Buggy iFi firmware causes extremely frequent, irritating connection drops if it is used in a streaming scenario.

- Chances are pretty much nil iFi will ever fix this.

Don't know how much the Nano costs, or what mbain now uses, but my current setup (Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC, which replaced an iFi micro-iDSD) works very nicely with the microRendu, and I think sounds better in the same streaming situation (I send it DSD512).  The Pro-Ject is $400.

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I have an iFi Nano here and I'm not having any issues with it. However, I'm running older firmware and it's an older unit. I appreciate your post though.

It's something I'm not particularly happy to say, but then it seems as if the bug (the firmware that keeps the battery from overcharging also appears to have the unintended effect of cutting the USB connection) makes this unit ill suited to streaming music remotely.

I'm also not running the latest firmware, so the bug exists in at least multiple firmware versions, if not all.

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

From a full charge how long would you have to use it for it cut off?

Didn't happen like that. It would cut off when *not* charging, which was never in the middle of a song, but often during even short breaks in play, and nearly always during extended breaks (e.g., from one day to the next). This is while continuously connected to USB power.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

If the DAC is till listed in Apps / DAC Diagnostics then all you need to do is go App Switcher and press the output mode again.

When the connection dropped, the mR wouldn't "see" the iFi.

The connection between the mR and the Pro-Ject, on the other hand, has been rock solid for two weeks.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The iFi has a switch...would using it make a difference? My guess is that there are different hardware versions in the wild. 

I would always have it switched off when not in use, because otherwise the firmware would tell the battery to drain even though it was connected to USB power. So I actually did use the switch.  🙂

I liked the sound of the iFi a lot, and it was with reluctance I decided the hassle just wasn't worth it. But I actually think the Pro-Ject sounds better, at least as it's used in my system.

Of course the whole reason for the relative complexity of the charging firmware is that iFi positions the micro and nano as units that can be used both at home and as mobile DACs. My dad owned a hardware store way back when, and he used to say "You should never buy anything that does two things, because it won't do either of them well."  Should probably have listened to Dad.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:13 PM, mbain said:

Jud,

I have been following many of your posts for years and have always enjoyed your comments.  Thank you for offering information regarding potential solutions to my issue.  At the moment i am beginning to feel that the best solution might be to replace my non usb Audio Research Dac 8 with a different bus Dac.  I would move in this direction if I could be certain that the new usb dac would provide superior  sound quality compared to the AR DAC 8.  Any suggestions?  Was considering the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell as a starting point.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks, that's very kind.  I don't have experience with many DACs, so all I can tell you is what I think about DACs generally.. In order not to take this thread OT, I'll PM you.