IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

6 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

image.thumb.png.5a6be66769d378cc52ea0850913d3d88.png

strange disconnect between current and latest!

.sjb

MeToo, it seems to me as a minor update. How about the sound? I can’t judge, because just before upgrading I replaced my generic cat6 cable to the very nice sounding Supra Cat8, or is it just wishful thinking?

Listening to version 2.6 I hear a kind of ‘tick or pop’ between songs, but certainly not between every song. I will take further notice of this behaviour this evening and report back. I only play with Audirvana, latest version. It can be Audirvana too, I assume, not sure yet...

38 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I spent an hour or so with 2.6 last night and think there could be distinctly more bass and warmth than 2.5.  Obviously you can't go back and forth to verify, but that was the my first short session impression.  

Thanks!

On 22-3-2018 at 6:20 PM, jos said:

Listening to version 2.6 I hear a kind of ‘tick or pop’ between songs, but certainly not between every song. I will take further notice of this behaviour this evening and report back. I only play with Audirvana, latest version. It can be Audirvana too, I assume, not sure yet...

I didn't hear this problem anymore after reporting it, so no problem whatsoever. Perhaps just in a few specific files.

Version 2.6 is working fine. But I would advise to deliver MQA someday, because it wil be a huge selling point.

• 5 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, André Gosselin said:

Hi,

My mrendu currently connects to my router at 1GBit  speed. I am starting to experience connectivity problems, and would like to see if reducing the speed of the ethernet connection could solve the issue, or at least help me diagnose the problem cause. My question is thus: is it possible to force the mrendu to connect at 100mbs through a setting of some sort ? Unfortunately, my router does not allow setting the connect speed on its ethernet ports.

Any help greatly appreciated

André

I am quite sure you don’t have to reduce the signal-speed to solve this problem. I guess you have an interference problem of some kind.

4 minutes ago, jos said:

I am quite sure you don’t have to reduce the signal-speed to solve this problem. I guess you have an interference problem of some kind.

Also try to reduce the datastream, so no oversampling or upsampling. Some DAC’s can’t handle to much data, or they have upsampling inside, like my Chord Qutest DAC.

52 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

I know there are a few microRendu and ultraRendu user using it with the Chord Qutest DAC and LMS server.

Has anyone had issues playing DSD128 and DSD256?

i could play these with the same setup with the Chord 2Qute, but upgrading to the Qutest these files wont play. DSD64 works fine and even PCM at 384, but DSD128 and DSD256 appears to load the file but stays at 0 and wont actually play.

Any clues?

I have the ultraRendu with the Qutest too and with DSD64 everything is working fine, but normally I convert all me music files to ALAC and then put them in iTunes before syncing with A+. Sorry, I don't have 128 or 256 files to try it for you. I also never use upsampling, or so, because the Qutest is doing his own trick about upsampling, I have read. So I am not lot of help for you...(but just my experience).

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

We have not offered 2.5 cards in a while. The website states 2.6 and we will be switching to 2.7 this week. 2.6 can be updated to 2.7 via the web GUI. We may hold orders this week to ship out only 2.7.

The need to a 2.5 card update is mentioned in the update information. So, I think, that should be changed, or not?

8 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We have been making changes and adding some bug fixes to Sonicorbiter 2.7...please update your units again!

Done, without any problem! Is this for everyone? Then you should sent an email to all users, I guess.

I still have to save my MPD / DLNA Renderer Settings to make my utraRendu visible in A+.

You should mention this in your update mail, I think.

Thanks! Jos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gordec,

I have my ultraRendu connected to a Chord Qutest DAC and it seems to me a little better, but certainly not night and day. The reason for me to buy the ultraRendu was to get rid of my 8m USB cable, and I had a problem with my USB Regen feeding my new Qutest DAC. Perhaps you could ask Sonore to try one.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, mackh said:

Thanks again for the quick reply. 

I have tried refreshing the DAC status page with music playing and the DAC diagnostic report remains exactly the same. Is this a problem?

I don't have many DoP files, but I do have a few. I have just played a 'Blue Coast Collection' track by Keith Greeninger. This plays and displays on the Brooklyn+ DAC as 32bit/352.8kHz, and so I guess it is playing as it should be.

I am happy to pay for the 2.7 SD card to see if that makes a difference. I am based in the UK. Do I have to order this from the States or can I get it from a dealer in the UK?  

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ed66 said:

Jaaptina, you are absolutely right. I realized this after a few tries. 

I gotta say, at first when I heard the ultrarendu I didnt notice any sound improvement over direct usb. I guess I was expecting a huge difference. The funny thing is that after I listening to music through the ultrarendu for a few hours and then I listening to music over direct usb I found the sound without the ultrarendu soooooo boring and unexciting. So I believe I will definitely keep it. The only problem is that now Im wondering how much better the sound can get with a good power supply, I am currently using an ifi. I heard good things of the lps 1.2, CI Audio power supply and paul hynes sr4. Any thoughts?  

By the way, is there any way to get the ultrarendu to work with vlc player or any other video player? It would be a shame if this is not possible as we would be missing a lot when watching movies. 

In mine opinion the IFi is better then any LPS (less noise), as you can read elsewhere on this site. I changed my LPS for two iFi’s; one for my ultraRendu and one for my Chord Qutest and they soun fantastic in conjunction with two AC iPurfiers. And last but not least: you will save considerable money.

26 minutes ago, Ed66 said:

Thank you rickca, thats what I figured. 

I am loving the ultrarendu right now with the ifi, but then I go back to reading about other power supplies and it gets me thinking about any potential improvements in sq with them. Ill stick to the ifi for now then, my wallet will be happy I do ? 

By the way, this is the first time I read about the AC Ipurifiers. I googled them and apparently they are really good and they can be found locally. I will definitely look into them as they seem extremely promising. Thanks for letting me know about them :) 

Here you can find a review...https://audiobacon.net/2018/05/04/ifi-ac-ipurifier-the-active-power-smoother/

1 hour ago, diecaster said:

FYI: @Ed66

No, this is not correct. The iFi iPower is NOT better than any LPS. According to one test done here the iPower may have injected less noise back into the AC mains than some LPS units, but that has nothing to do with the noise passed along to the device being powered.

I would stay far away from the iPower if the best sound quality from the ultraRendu is the goal. The iPower sounds bad compared to a quality LPS. I actually prefer the Teddy Pardo LPS but I have not heard the new UltraCap 1.2. It certainly should be as good as the Paul Hynes and better than the CI Audio LPS. 

Perhaps this info will add something...https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/152143111-audio-myth-switching-power-supplies-are-noisy

Hifi News and Darko Audio are both recommending an iFi Power for my Chord Qutest., and not an very expensive LPS. Why should I spend much more for the UltraRendu and Chord Qutest? In my humble opinion an LPS is adding some warmth (or noise?) to the sound and that is appricated by some people. I have had an Sbooster, but like the clearness of the iFi ipower. The AC iPurifier in conjunction  is adding more smoothness to the sound, altough marginally.

11 hours ago, Ed66 said:

So many choices so little time/money. A few days ago I just read about the ultrarendu and I was like, its so expensive for the size. But after reading about the positive experiences of about 99% of the people with it I decided to give it a try and now I wont be able to live without it. Now Im getting into the world of power supplies and same thing, so small but so expensive, at least when compared to the ifi power supply. I guess Ill have to give a few a try and see which one I like. Although it will get expensive switching around as they rarely come up on canuck audio used here in Canada. But Ill definitely give the grounding trick a try. I hope I dont burn down my apartment in the process hahahaha. 

By the way, is there a big difference between the sbooster mk1 and mk2? That is the one power supply that is easily accessible here in Toronto. Also, I read in one of many sites that using a netgear 105 switch and cat 6 unshielded network cable helps a lot with the sound. So I bought that and Im not so sure I like the sound so much this way. Before I had the ur and computer connected directly to the wifi router and I was using cat 4 cables. I also realized that I had to connect the router to the switch anyways, otherwise the system wouldnt work. Live and learn I guess. 

I still have an Sbooster 5-6v for sale for 175 euro. A guy from Germany wants to buy it but I don’t hear from here anymore, so...

1 hour ago, jos said:

I still have an Sbooster 5-6v for sale for 175 euro. A guy from Germany wants to buy it but I don’t hear from here anymore, so...

It’s indeed for sale (MK1) and still with guarantee and in mint condition. ?

51 minutes ago, Ed66 said:

Thank you Jos. But I was able to find one used locally. It seems that sboosters are the only high end ps available locally here. 

You could also buy one from Sonore. I guess they are relatively new on the market, because I didn’t see them before. And LPS will be reviewed by this site, see...

https://twitteringmachines.com/in-barn-sonore-ultrarendu-ultradigital-small-green-computer-linear-power-supplies/

For Sbboster, look at...

Good luck!

7 hours ago, rlow said:

Ok I had thought about this. I may plug my mR into a switch connected directly to my router (and take along my Modi Multibit DAC).

I have had about the same problems making Roon visible too, but after installing reinstalling, upgrading and so on, it was suddenly working. Rebooting your router can help too.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Jud said:

I would always have it switched off when not in use, because otherwise the firmware would tell the battery to drain even though it was connected to USB power. So I actually did use the switch.  🙂

I liked the sound of the iFi a lot, and it was with reluctance I decided the hassle just wasn't worth it. But I actually think the Pro-Ject sounds better, at least as it's used in my system.

Of course the whole reason for the relative complexity of the charging firmware is that iFi positions the micro and nano as units that can be used both at home and as mobile DACs. My dad owned a hardware store way back when, and he used to say "You should never buy anything that does two things, because it won't do either of them well."  Should probably have listened to Dad.

I totally agree with Jud. I have had two pure DAC’s in my life (Arcam iRDAC and the Chord Qutest). Both work flawless. The latter (always on; no power switch)  in combination with the ultraRendu and Audirvana. It’s a splendid combination!