IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Got my MR today here in Oslo. It will replace my SBT with EDO. Just need a quick advice. What is the best setup/configuration for the MR ? NAA is someting very new to me as an example.

Roon running on a Qnap TS-453-Pro, to the SBT. (Music files are on an external 2008R2, but is planned to be moved to Qnap). Using iPad to control. No USB DAC, so it will be connected to hiFace Evo SPDIF converter, with external clock.

I later may find out that this setup will not work, as I guess the hiFace need ASIO or some Kernel driver to work, but this can be discussed in an other post or even a separate thread with MR connected to USB/SPDIF converters if I run into trouble. I know Berkely works just fine.

I have a W7 HTPC, where I can run Roon. I may look into HQ-Player later, but I have no DSD files, nor a DSD DAC. And will probably never have. My DAC do 192/24. I use Tidal a lot, as I find the Tidal SQ better than my rips done correctly by EAC. Have some files bought from HD-Tracs.

Will HQ-Player in theory benefit me ? How ? Up-sample PCM to 96 or 192 ? (We assume for now my HTPC has the horsepower).

If I use HQ-Player, will I then have to use a different UI than Roon on my iPad ?

If i switch to HQ-Player, what is then the recommended setup for MR ?

Is the general advice to run Roon and HQ-Player on different HW, assuming you still would have enough power to just run both in one machine.

Is Linux or Windows (or OSX) the preferred OS when HQ-Player is part of the setup ?

If I have understood things correctly the HQ-Player needs a UI, so it can't be run headless. Since I'm running iPad, does this mean I have to use RDT / VLC to enjoy HQ-Player.

HQ-Player questions and integration with Roon I can continue in the thread where this is discussed, so just answer those items on a very basic level.

Maye there exist some sort of best practice or user guide (for dummies) for all these things I'm asking ?

Or maybe someone would like to do one ?

Thanks David.

I think you have made it quite clear for me. I like the possibillity to set it and forget it :)

Yes have iPad Air 2.

I will keep Roon om my Qnap. And install HQPlayer on my HTPC.

I will ask more if needed in the HQPlayer thread.

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and I'm thinking of switching my all in one player-dac-preamp setup to a microrendu-dac-preamp, so apologies if I'm asking questions already covered in the 16 pages. It seems that most people use microrendu with a PC/Mac/server, but I want to know if it can be used entirely without that as follows with only a NAS/DLNA server (currently miniDLNA but could change) and a control point running on Android (iphone/pad could also be an option):

- Can I setup and stream from Tidal using only microrendu and a control point?

- Can I do the same with Spotify?

- Anyone using microrendu with MiniDLNA running directly on NAS, or another DLNA server on NAS?

If all the above is possible, can I do all the setup without any PC/Mac and if so how?

I have a Qnap TS-453-Pro. With Roon installed. Works great with Tidal and local rips.

Control point is iPad. (Or my iPhone)

I think even a Qnap HS-251 will work. I have a friend that will test this in a couple of week.

I think Spotify is nothing to consider at all ?

Then just buy a ChromeCast Audio, use it toslink output to you DAC.

Could you explain what you have of equipment ? Have Tidal Hifi ?

Any plan of using HQ-Player ? Or Roon ?

Also you may consider a NUC or Mac Mini if not yet have a NAS.

You may all ready have a PC, why not just start with that and use RDT from your control point what ever you are planning to use as control point.

How do you do things today ? Maybe you goal is to go headless ?

• 3 months later...

I most likely have convinced my friend to go for the MR. However he has the same DAC as me, (yes my fault:) ), and he also need an USB/SPDIF converter.

We found some reasonable priced Bel Canto m.Link.

Will the Bel Canto work with the MicroRendu ?

Alterativily how about the Musical Fidelity VLink 192 USB/SPDIF ?

This might be what Jesus is talking about: Singxer F-1 XMOS XU208 USB Digital Interface 384K Coaxial I2S DSD256 With case | eBay.

It's GREAT.

When used with the microRendu powered by a good power supply (UpTone LPS-1, in this case), I prefer it to the Berkeley Alpha USB and one of Singxer's other converters (the SU-1).

Thanks for putting me in that direction. Does there exist 2 versions of the F-1 ?

I've noticed some state upgraded version on eBay.

Very interesting you prefer the F-1 over the SU-1. Maybe that power add noice ?

I have MicroRendu and LPS-1 :)

• 3 weeks later...
I just reconnected my DAC (Schiit Bifrost Multibit) directly to my PC with an external USB hub and do not detect any difference between the direct connection and the microrendu. I'm pretty disappointed that I don't hear any difference considering all of the high praise that this unit has received with regards to sound quality.

Can you explain how you connected the MicroRendu and which mode, and why you use an USB hub ?

Using Roon, Tidal, HQPlayer ? Music on the same PC ?

I use foobar wasapi event with the Schiit Bifrost directly connected.

And Foobar (2000) when you route the signal via the switch also ?

MicroRendu as UPnP ?

Not that it matters at all, but why do you USB hub between your PC and DAC, and why is it not present when your DAC is fed by the MicroRendu ?

I don't have much to add. Agree with firedog. Hopefully your nephew can guide you :)

And no of cause use it does make any sense to use an USB hub between the MicroRendu and DAC.

I notice others also had pops, but if they got rid of it, I don't know. I suggest you search the different treads.

i personally use Roon installed on a Qnap, and HQPlayer on a PC. (Only PCM). And a Tidal hifi subscription.

All these SW are available on trail, and maybe you find time to test some of them.

i hope you by time find the MicroRendu was worth the investment. It seems you have a lot of other nice equipment (that I'm not familiar with at all).

Maybe it can be as simple as the USB cable or the Ethernet cable. (Or no USB cable). Maybe you have other computers available. There are so many different things to try.

Have fun.

I had already been convinced that my SB Touch couldn't compete with the newer offerings and ordered ''the other'' less expensive streamer. As it turns out it's back ordered and if it doesn't become available soon I'll probably order the mR.

BTW My initial decision was based primarily on budget restrictions.

You may be wrong about the SBT.

How about feed it with the LPS-1 ? You may also add FMC's (use a 10/100 version) and let the LPS-1 power one of them. Most likely there is enough juice left in the LPS-1...

Then later you can order the MicroRendu, which in any case would need the LPS-1 in order to perform at its best. Also if you haven't tried Roon and HQPlayer yet, there most likely be something there to lift your SQ.

In general I think good power (read power conditioner) can almost lift any gear to new heights. So also with the LPS-1, where you should be fine with the offered MeanWell to $15.

If I'm wrong about the SBT it's because a bunch of people have convinced me that the mR is much better. I already have a CIAudio PSU powering the Touch. While it may not be at the same level as the LPS-1 I'm sure it's better than the stock switcher.

In any case the LPS-1 is also B/O and won't be available for another month.

No, you're not wrong. I switched from SBT to mR myself. But it was after adding the LPS-1, it revealed it's full potential.

I have a Yggy with both the microRendu and and USB attached hard drive (via a sonicTransporter). I have been unable to get the signal to the Yggy. Andrew, at SmallGreenComputer has helped, and he recommended that I try a DDC (USB to SPDIF). This still did not help. Suggestions are welcome.

Probably a stupid question;

Did Yggdrasil USB ever worked ? I mean how did it make sound before ?

Using Roon or ? What ?

I never see the microRendu and the Yggy with Roon, only the sonicTransporter. On the sonicorbiter page, they are both there. Andrew from Smallgreencomputer has tried to help but no outut to the Yggy yet.

What switch are you using ? Are they all on same switch ?

I'm not familiar with the sonic transporter, but can you ping the MicroRendu from it. I don't know if that is possible.

But I expect you can ping everything from you PC ?

I guess you have a PC. You could install Roon on the PC, and test from there ?

The Yggy works with USB via JRiver.

How does it sound? I like it, my musician friends like it. I bought the Ragnorak six months after buying the Yggy, I think that says something. The two together produce remarkable music, the low volume performance is remarkable, sonics that, to these ears, that usually happen only at much louder volumes.

Then I guess adding the MicroRendu as DNLA in that setup also work ?

• 3 weeks later...
Adding the Cisco switch between my router and microRendu did improve the sound quality, to my surprise. I was just hoping it wouldn't degrade the sound quality since I wanted an extra port. The switch being fed by a JS-2. Overkill, but it was nearby and one of its outputs was unused.

Not overkill. I tested a FMC with a seperate LPS-1, and the SQ got better than with an Y-split between the MicroRendu and the FMC. (Had 2 LPS-1).

Using good power on your switch, may be the main reason for what you hear.

You may also try adding an EMO EN-70HD.

+1

I am amazed at how good this sounds (LPS-1 powering microRendu and another LPS-1 powering downstream FMC).

Yes, the secret to good sound goes through good power. The LPS-1 make a very huge difference wherever you place it. I also tested the LPS-1 on a Squeezebox Touch. Unbelievable uplift in SQ.

Much more than just adding the MicroRendu with an iFi power.

I was thinking of trying an EMO EN-70HD. I was thinking that this would be a simpler way of increasing ethernet isolation than optical ethernet. However I just sold my DAC yesterday and my Ayre QX-5 won't be delivered for a month or two so experiments will have to wait.

I have the EN-70HD, and next weekend, I will borrow my friends LPS-1 for testing if the investment of a EN-70HD can leave out the investment a second a LPS-1 powering my FMC.

I probably also do some other tests. Among them compare Qnap vs SonicTransporter. (Unfortunately not with internal storage).

I will be using Blue Jeans cat 6 cables.

I'm planning to post the results in the LPS-1 thread, or maybe even make one or several new threads. There are so many variables, so I need to think a bit how to do and how many tests to do.

Not to mention music to choose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I am very interested in adding the microRendu into my system. I have a modified Mac Mini with a liner power supply. My hard drive is attached to my Mac Mini by firewire and is also running on liner power supply. I have a DSD only DAC so everything is being up sampled in ROON. My question is: Is there anyway to attach the microRendu directly to my Mac Mini? I am trying to avoid buying a switch that will also need a liner power supply. I also don't want to add more electronics into the chain if possible. Whats the most cost effective best way to set up? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Maybe you find some inspiration here :

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/novel-way-massively-improve-sq-sms-200-and-microrendu-31110/

Thanks for the link. Not looking like an ideal solution right now. Looks like if I add the MicroRendu. I would need a power supply for the MicroRendu and a switch with a power supply. Might be better off investing in an all in one server then.

The MicroRendu needs power. So will a server. If you where thinking of the SonicTransporter i5 or the new i7, you still would need the MicroRendu or a similar device.

The new i7 has dual network interfaces, so you do not need a switch.

What kind if linear power supply do you have ?