IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

I fired up my system yesterday and nothing played. The dac diagnostics said no dac was found (even though attached and worked previously). I tried many combinations of rebooting/powering down/restarting the entire chain. Finally, the dac was discovered but still no sound. The diagnostic now said "no setup". I reset everything and went through the rebooting/restarting process again but nothing.

I powered down overnight and everything worked in the morning.

Now, I'm trying to change out the USB cable and UR doesn't discover the DAC. Tried the elaborate reboot process to no avail. Any ideas to get the sound flowing again?

i7ST (Roon, HQplayer) => UR => IsoRegen => Auralic Vega

1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

Please indulge me the recycling of what I posted in this thread a few months ago, as I have found that it is a useful routine when I experience issues like yours after a firmware update or residential power failure or on other occasions when my Rendu/DAC combination decides to go silent. 

(1).  Turn off power to the Rendu, the DAC, and the FMC/OM (if applicable). 

(2).  Repower in this order, one unit at a time: 

(a):  FMC/OM;

(b). DAC; and 

(c). Rendu. 

(3). When the DAC repowers, allow it to complete its full power-on routine. 

(4). When the Rendu starts to repower, make sure that default 44.1khz sample rate displays on your DAC, if you have a DAC that shows the rate. 

(5).  Allow the Rendu to complete its power-on cycle and then find its control interface on your phone/tablet/computer browser. 

(6).  Go to the Rendu interface's Apps tab.  Check DAC diagnostics to be sure that the first and third windows on the screen confirm that the startup handshake completed. If not, repeat steps (2) through (5) until the handshake completes.

(7).  Go to the Rendu interface's Settings tab.  Select the Rendu app that you use to control your music playback. Restart your controller software app by clicking on "save." Wait until the green status bar appears and confirms the software's restart is complete. 

(8).  If your server software can be restarted, do that.  (I use JRiver, located on my computer, so it's easy to restart it from my phone using remote access software.)  After the server software restart completes, make sure the Rendu shows as a client, if your server software can show you that. 

(9).  Restart your controller software app on your phone or tablet or your computer browser, whichever you use to play music through your Rendu. Make sure that both the server software and Rendu client are accessible from that your control app or browser. If not, try redoing steps (7) through (9). 

(10).  Choose your music and hit "play." Usually, you will hear something, but sometimes nothing will start to play or music will appear to play but be inaudible.  In that case, try redoing steps (2) through (9).

(11).  When all this fails, start again at step (1).  Eventually, it works, as you have noted, unless you have network issues that I can't address here. 

I don't want to make this sound worse than it is.  It takes under five minutes to run through and, soon enough, you get the steps memorized.  Streaming, at least in my experience, always is fraught with more peril than just putting a CD into a player, choosing the right input, and pressing "play" on the player.  The sound quality and jukebox capabilities of a streaming system make the effort to restart things worth the candle. 

Thanks for the excellent directions. In fact, this has been my tried and true recipe for some time. I must have tried 30 times without succession the past couple of days. Until I added another step: I left the power off on everything for an extended period ( once overnight and once for 4 hours). It worked both times. I'm not sure if it is random or not but I'm listening again. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

What are you guys streaming when it stops playing? local files, Tidal/Qobuz, hi-res/low-res, DSD?

I only play local files. When it stops during play, rebooting is usually enough to get me going again. In other cases, like changing USB cable or powering down, I often have to go through the process of restarting the entire system ( particular order, many tries etc).

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

What sample rate, bit rate, and format are the files? Playlist or one album at a time? Which output mode? 

I player AIFF and FLAC files through HQPlayer NAA. The sample rate is either 352k of 128DSD, 24 bit.  One album at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Chutt, I have never experienced this but it seems like a network issue. In any case, I have had several other quirky issues over the years .Most of them were solved by powering down both the dac and the UR. Sometimes it takes a couple of iterations.May not help but worth a try if you haven't already.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:33 AM, vortecjr said:

Try this in order:

1. Remove the power cable from the Rendu and the DAC.
2. Connect the power cable to the DAC and power it on.
3. Connect the power cable to the Rendu.
4. Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm the DAC is present.
5. Go to Settings / Roon Ready and press Save.
6. Go to Roon / Settings / Audio and enable the Rendu.

For Shairport replace 5 and 6 above with:

5. Go to Settings / Shairport and press Save.
6. Go to iTunes and select the Rendu as the Airplay device.