IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

Hi Jesus,

I am having a problem updating my microRendu. It is stopping after 1 of 3 and not continuing. I have powered it down and rebooted twice but it still stops at 1 of 3. This is new behavior. I have not had this problem before. My sonicTransporter updated without a problem today. It did all the updates and I got the final completion message and rebooted it without issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Congrats on the awards and happy holidays!

Hi Jesus,

I am having a problem updating my microRendu. It is stopping after 1 of 3 and not continuing. I have powered it down and rebooted twice but it still stops at 1 of 3. This is new behavior. I have not had this problem before. My sonicTransporter updated without a problem today. It did all the updates and I got the final completion message and rebooted it without issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

I don't know if this helps but I thought I would have you look at it and make sure all is well here.

DAC description: Bel Canto uLinkUSB Audio 2.0 2646:0002

Diagnostic information for this DAC

Bel Canto uLink Bel Canto uLinkUSB Audio 2.0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 1

Packet Size = 63

Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x5.8330)

Feedback Format = 16.16

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000

Data packet interval: 125 usaccess: RW_INTERLEAVED

format: S32_LE

subformat: STD

channels: 2

rate: 44100 (44100/1)

period_size: 441

buffer_size: 1764Simple mixer control 'Bel Canto uLinkClock Selector Playback Swit',0

Capabilities: pswitch

Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

Mono:

Front Left: Playback [on]

Front Right: Playback [on]

Simple mixer control 'Bel Canto uLinkClock Selector Playback Swit',1

Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined

Playback channels: Mono

Mono: Playback [on]

Simple mixer control 'Bel Canto uLinkClock Selector Playback Volu',0

Capabilities: volume

Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right

Limits: 0 - 127

Front Left: 127 [100%]

Front Right: 127 [100%]

Simple mixer control 'Bel Canto uLinkClock Selector Playback Volu',1

Capabilities: volume volume-joined

Playback channels: Mono

Capture channels: Mono

Limits: 0 - 127

Mono: 127 [100%]

logo.png

Copyright © 2008 - 2016 Small Green Computer, LLC. All rights reserved.

Hi Jesus,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi,

Just tried it again and this time it did all three but on the back to main menu link it hung up and I had to power down and reboot to regain control. I have also had problems with the reboot link where it has to powered down and rebooted.

Bob

The most I have seen is the you have to press the Back to Main Menu link twice.

Thanks, The problem was my LPS-1. Under any heavy operation like updating or rebooting, the red light would blink indicating a temporary power loss and of course the microRendu would then freeze. When I went back to my CIAudio 9V linear supply everything works fine. I will let Alex know.

Thanks,

Bob

For others reading this:

To be clear, the issue is not the LPS-1 per se. It appears that the 3rd-party "energizing"/charging supply Bob chose--to feed the LPS-1--was not up to the task. For more detailed information on the matter, please refer to this post.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/ultracap%99-linear-power-supply-1-troubleshooting-system-grounding-etc-30196/index3.html#post612723

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Sorry Alex,

I should have been more clear in my post here that the problem was not the LPS-1 per se but in the CIAudio Linear 9V/2A supply that I was using as a charger. I don't think that I was fully aware of that when I posted here in response to Jesus but I should have come back here and updated but did not think of it.

Sorry for any confusion.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

Another ominous misbehavior tonight.  My mR 1.4 just cut out for about 30 secs.  Lost it connection.  Then found it again by itself. This is new and frankly it’s disheartening.  Once upon a time we bought equipment fully expecting it to last (many) years.  Hopefully we haven’t yet reached the point where 2 years is all that’s expected. 

This sounds like a power blip. Check your power supply and if you have an alternate, power it with that and see if the problem persists. I had the same issue on my mR and it turned out my LPS-1was failing so Alex at Uptone replaced it as mine was still under warranty at the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

Latest issue with my microRendu 1.4 has just announced itself.  This has happened 3 times now.

Background is that my mR has the 2.8 card and generally works fine, sounds very good.

Starting yesterday...for no apparent reason....after several hours normal playing...simply switching from one album to another on Roon....the mR stops working.

Everything on Roon looks normal.  Everything on Sonicorbiter looks normal.  The mR is still visible and the DAC is identified as usual in App/Diagnostics. Repeat, everything looks normal.

Except the start/stop button on Roon has no affect. Opening and closing Roon...no affect.

The only way to 'fix' the problem seems to be to unplug the mR - and then restart it.  But the length of time between these fixes is getting shorter.

Here we go again....anyone got a suggestion?

This is just a guess as I do not have access to your network. This sounds like a network/router and/or switch issue. Implementing Flow Control might help but it takes a switch right before the mRendu that has that ability and it also has to be implemented at the server end as well. This would require someone with some skill in this area. If you know anyone in your area that would be the best bet. There are also several settings in the router that could be the problem. Again, someone with network skills would be the person you want.

On 3/27/2020 at 9:30 AM, Sebastian T. said:

I've just purchased an Ultrarendu and, while the SQ is very good, I'm having some problems when I play high sample rates. Both when listening with roon/hqplayer, at high sample rates (PCM768 and even PCM705) I get random static sound in the right speaker. What can I do about this? :( 

This is likely a issue with the HQP setup. Drop down to 3xx PCM and see if it still happens.

9 minutes ago, Sebastian T. said:

I did. At 3xx there's no static. However, Roon upsampling to PCM7XX also gets the DAC into trouble with static coming out of the speaker. 

Then there is likely a bottleneck in your network somewhere. Sometimes the higher rates require that Flow Control be enabled. This would require a switch in front of the uRendu that supports Flow Control and it also needs to be active at the server or router end as well. There are many other potential causes so if you don't wish to track it down just be happy with 3xx PCM. There really isn't much of a difference and it also is DAC dependent as to whether you would hear any improvement with 7xx.

48 minutes ago, Sebastian T. said:

I do wish to track it down. And I did a test having both the computer and the Ultrarendu connected by wire to my Asus RT68u router with no luck. I got the same static I got when having the Ultrarendu connected to the network through a wifi extender. However, I don't know much about enabling Flow Control on my router. Don't even know if that's possible.

Before you look at the network, If you can, borrow another DAC that is 7xx capable just to make sure it is not your current DAC that is the problem. The USB implementation of some DACs may not have been designed for this rate. If it is your network then a switch in front of the uRendu like this one that supports Flow Control might help: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Streaming-Advanced-Ethernet/dp/B01MU3GE5L I have one in between my ASUS RT AC 88U and my uRendu. Also, I have Roon and HQP running on a Win 10/64 machine and Flow Control is enabled there as well. I do not think ASUS routers support Flow Control in their software. Also, do not use wifi for high rate transfer. 7xx up-sampling results in a 49Mbps stream when carried to the DAC in a 32 bit container. This is very hard for wifi to sustain. Lastly, check all of your HQP settings especially buffers.   Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Sebastian T. said:

I've done some more tests:

1. If I connect the Qutest to the iMac by USB, everything runs perfectly (HQPLAYER 768PCM);

2. If I connect my Qutest to the Ultrarendu and the Ultrarendu to my iMac through either a CAT6 / CAT8 cable and I also enable flow control, I still get static noise;

3. If I add a switch (not managed, flow control enabled) in between the Ultrarendu and the iMac, I still get static noise.

My conclusion is that either my DAC doesn't work correctly on Linux, either the Ultrarendu can't handle this high sample rate. Sadly, I don't have any other DAC to do a further test and find out which one is it. 

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Sorry to hear that you are still having a problem. I can attest that my uRendu does 768 PCM without issue so I don't think it is the Rendu. I am running HQP on win 10/64 so that is one difference. Try to PM Jesus and see if he can help. 

• 1 month later...

JR, Andrew, Barrows,

I need your help.

I have a very strange problem. My uRendu running 2.8 suddenly does not work in NAA mode. It stopped working at the end of a track. When the next track did not play I checked HQP and the dreaded " NAA not found" message was showing. There was nothing different in my system from one track to the next.

I checked and the DAC (Spring 2) is showing in DAC Diagnostics and when I switched to Roon Ready it plays fine. When I switched back to NAA mode it still is not being seen by HQPlayer.

I have a spare 2.8 SD card which I tried without any luck. I have re-booted everything (PC, Router, Switch, HDPlex PS and uRendu) several times and still no luck. I also reverted to HQP 4.4 and then re-loaded 4.5 without success.

I checked the "allow network control" setting in HQP and that is turned on.

I tried another USB cable and that did not help.

Is there some physical piece of hardware inside the uRendu that could have failed?

I am stumped. All help appreciated.

Thanks

5 hours ago, BlueDL said:

I upped it to a week (604800 seconds) but the issue reoccurred about 30 minutes later. So I have reverted to the v2.7 SD card to see if the past stability returns. Thanks for the support so far.

Have you tried locking the local ip address of the OR to its MAC address. This is called MAC binding and it prevents the DHCP server from ever changing the local ip of the OR. This is usually pretty easy in most routers. There is usually an option for something like "assign fixed ip....." or similar. If you are not sure, just Google it for your router.

12 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

I will definitely try this if I see the same issue occur with v2.7. I’m first going to give v2.7 at least 5 days to see if it results in a run of stability. However, the problem coincided with the introduction of v2.8 (I ordered that SD card as soon as I saw the announcement in an email from Andrew Gillis). Up to that point, the OR was not disappearing from ‘Network Players’ despite it not having a locked IP address and with DHCP lease time being only 24 hours. That said, if a locked IP address is a prerequisite for v2.8 to cease this behaviour (if I can confirm it to definitely be attributable) then I will of course consider it. Thanks again.

I doubt that this has anything to do with 2.7 vs 2.8 but please keep us informed.

3 minutes ago, ericuco said:

If I recall correctly, the original batch of 2.8 cards had an issue with the oR, something to do with overheating. Sonore quit sending out 2.8 cards for a few weeks(?) while the problem was diagnosed and resolved.

I waited for the new batch of 2.8 cards but when I reboot my oR, I have to let it cool down for several minutes (15-30) before powering back up. That means physically disconnecting power cord and then reconnecting it after several minutes. Otherwise the oR will not show up on my network.

I am pretty sure that Andrew fixed this problem with an update. I have a uRendu so I don't have any issue.

52 minutes ago, ericuco said:

I don't recall the exact thermal issue that Andrew fixed but it did not fix the issue I reported above as it has been repeatable. I don't have any thermal issues (although it does get rather warm with a 7.5v supply) once the oR has successfully booted and been recognized on my network.

Even with my uRendu running 2.8, I sometimes have to let the unit cool down after an update in order to re-boot. Once it is running, I do not have any problems either.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Ellsworth said:

This morning I rebooted the router and unplugged the MacMini to reset the SMC.  There is good news and bad news.  The bad news is that I still experienced dropouts at DSD256 and DSD128 using HQP/Roon.  The good news is that upsampling to DSD64 worked with no issues.  I can be happy playing DSD64 but am still wondering why the higher upsampling rates are now faltering. 

Again, thanks for the input.  At times, I feel like a leech as I usually only post when I have problems and don’t have the knowledge to help others!

Your issue with DSD 128 & 256 is that the MacMini likely just does not have the computing power for it. If you are happy with DSD 64 just stick with it otherwise it probably is time for a server upgrade. DSD 256 with anything but the lightest of filters takes substantial processing power. There are multiple threads here that discuss this issue.