IGNORED

Which AD Converter?

I have put together a mic preamp to help with voltage step up for my long delayed vinyl rips. Decided on using my Apogee Duet for this.

The thought is the mic pre is powered from a separate power supply and not the FireWire buss like the Duet. Has to be quieter.

But looking around, used Rosetta 200 with X-Fire card are available for 1,000.00 or less. The Rosetta series is thought as better sounding than the Duet.

Is the Rosetta 200 a better ADC than the Duet? The Rosetta design is 5 years older. Even with the higher list price, the newer chips and six layer board in the Duet may even the results.

Plan on using Pure Vinyl and 88.2/24 with Apple Lossless to sAve a little disc space. I have heard friends rips to 44.1/16 and found them identical to the phono stage output. The 88.2/24 rips should be special.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/ADC-Analogue-Digital-conversion

As a result of the advice I received here and elsewhere, I bought a Fireface 400 firewire audio interface which I've been using for digitizing LPs for 18 months without any problems (connected to Puresound p10 phono amp and using Bias Peak Pro 6 software). I opted to archive LPs as 24/192 ALAC, but currently use 24/96 downsamples for listening (I'm in the process of deciding on a large NAS). I also use the headphone amp for monitoring audio output from my Mac Pro. Through Sennheiser HD600 phones the sound quality is fine.

Best of luck in deciding your personal price / performance compromise.

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800