IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

Electricity needed to mine bitcoin is more than used by 'entire countries'

Bitcoin mining – the process in which a bitcoin is awarded to a computer that solves a complex series of algorithm – is a deeply energy intensive process

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/feb/27/bitcoin-mining-electricity-use-environmental-impact

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

44 minutes ago, semente said:

Electricity needed to mine bitcoin is more than used by 'entire countries'

Bitcoin mining – the process in which a bitcoin is awarded to a computer that solves a complex series of algorithm – is a deeply energy intensive process

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/feb/27/bitcoin-mining-electricity-use-environmental-impact

I also read this a couple of days ago and I admit I was in shock. My sympathy for bitcoin and similar cryptocurrencies had abruptly decreased.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With a massive, nationwide effort the United States could reach net-zero emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050 using existing technology and at costs aligned with historical spending on energy, according to a study led by Princeton University researchers.  

Five scenarios to get there:

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/12/15/big-affordable-effort-needed-america-reach-net-zero-emissions-2050-princeton-study

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Global warming is hitting the Western U.S. hard before summer even begins, with an early heat wave and severe drought threatening lives.

New York Times readers shared their experiences with the devastating effects of climate change.

Climate Change Batters the West Before Summer Even Begins Global warming has been fueling disasters in the region for years. Now, an early heat wave and severe drought are threatening lives and leaving water in perilously short supply.

A temperature display in Phoenix on Tuesday. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/20/us/utah-water-drought-climate-change.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

The Southwest in the U.S. is in severe draught conditions.

Groundwater and streams vital to both farmers and cities are drying up in the West, challenging the future of development.

In the little mountain town of Oakley, about an hour’s drive from Salt Lake City, the spring that pioneers once used to water their hayfields and filled people’s taps for decades dwindled to a trickle in this year’s scorching drought. So town officials took drastic action to preserve their water: They stopped building.

Farmers and ranchers — who use 70 to 80 percent of all water — are letting their fields go brown or selling off cows and sheep they can no longer graze. Gov. Spencer Cox of Utah said all but one of the fields on his family’s farm had dried up.

“These towns are canaries in the coal mine,” said Paul D. Brooks, a professor of hydrology at the University of Utah. “They can’t count to go to the tap and turn on the water. Climate change is coming home to roost right now, and it’s hitting us hard.”

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

5 hours ago, RickyV said:

Yeah, it looked real bad in Germany and Belgium.. Yet another proof that the so called 'first' world isn't free from bearing the consequences of the climate change. They are and will be even heavier for the so called 'third' world though.. I think we really owe them help in this regard, not only taking into account the years of exploitation that took place in history but also simply our own business..

Yes it’s seems crazy this year with extreem weather, parts with extreem rainfall and other parts extreem heat and drought all the way up into Canada. Even Siberia gets it.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/01/01/russia-in-2021-as-climate-crisis-rages-scientists-fear-the-worst-is-yet-to-come-a72390

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

14 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Yes it’s seems crazy this year with extreem weather, parts with extreem rainfall and other parts extreem heat and drought all the way up into Canada. Even Siberia gets it.

They say air movements in the global scale slow down due to decreasing temperature differences (poles vs equator) so extreme local weather anomalies will be both more often and longer lasting. 

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

They say air movements in the global scale slow down due to decreasing temperature differences (poles vs equator) so extreme local weather anomalies will be both more often and longer lasting. 

Catastrophic floods could hit Europe far more often, study finds. Slow-moving storms such as recent deluge in Germany could become 14 times more frequent by 2100

Azrael Revisited – The Nice (‘The Nice’ aka ‘Everything As Nice As Mother Makes It’, 1969)

They asked me what grey thought has just clouded my eye.

I told them that Azrael looked down on their decline.

What grey thought, if any, crossed the landscape of your mind?

I told them that Azrael looks down on you from behind.

I told them what they asked while holding my breath

That Azrael on wings of death collects his pound of flesh.

I told them what they asked, while holding my breath

Azrael the angel brings only death.

What happens when millions – or billions – of sea animals die on one day?

The ‘heat dome’ over the Pacific north-west brought unprecedented death to sealife. And the effects will be felt for years to come.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/commentisfree/2021/aug/05/billions-sea-animals-die-heatwave

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)