IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

24 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Literally, “It is life”

No Sir. What I tried to indicate is the small sadness which has to be in it. Might you translate it as "such is life" then in English you are already closer. Here:

https://www.thoughtco.com/cest-la-vie-1371131

"In France, it's still used in the same sense as always, as a sort of restrained, slightly fatalistic lamentation that this is how life is and there's not much you can do about it. "

In there, there's the example of someone who just lost his job and who can say (or is being told) c'est la vie.

Dennis in the end used it the way as it is intended by means of putting it by myself in a context which goes like:

The American wants to be free and nobody in the world is going to change that. If that means burning a bit too much coal - c'est la vie.

This is negative, or with fatalistic lamentation.

"This is life" does not resemble this at all.

Such is life, would (says me with his poor knowledge of the English language).

Any more important issues ?

:D

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

32 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Literally, “It is life

Addendum:

No, literally it is This is the life.

It is life in French would be "C'est vie".

That translated to English IMO would be "This is life". It wouldn't even be "it is life".

Oh, I made a job of missing 100% of French classes before they kicked me out of school all together. I said: no worries, one time there will be internet.

XXHighEnd (developer)

13 hours ago, esldude said:

Europeans seem okay with having others make their decisions for them.

Nothing is farther from the truth. But although I think I know how America is with the strict rule of "being free", I am not able to explain how it works over here. Maybe others can. Point is also: I really don't see how it would change things when we would be like America / Americans. Yeah, a different (elected) government. But this is so indirect and so not-to-envision (because no country due ruling parties exist for it) that we wouldn't be able to see the (due) effect.

Btw, we probably wouldn't even be able to see what has to be changed for real. But agree we do with nothing. :| (and I generalize, but am fairly sure I can speak on behalf of everyone).

What would change for sure is that all the "nature movements" would disappear and instead highways will be build over the death of 10 marmots. 10 marmots die, one million are not in a traffic queue. 1000 nature activists are proud today and 1 million people lose money and especially time. Long live democrazy.

See ? I suddenly don't belong in this thread.

Makes me think of Woodstock. And speaking about the devil ... look what I just found (because I suddenly want to play 3 days of that music): http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/woodstock-50th-anniversary-sets/

Must find my ripper machinery again ...

image.png.57bf4ff1362d5427b7f0801032e71dda.png

XXHighEnd (developer)

49 minutes ago, esldude said:

I certainly support the switch over to LP gas in place of diesel.

As far as I know, the only country where LPG  is really widespread (like in close to 100% of gas stations), is Holland. Otherwise you may find a gas station "here or there" but never within reach when the tank runs empty.

Btw, not advised for, say, high torque motors (think 600nm) because the tank pressure would not be sufficient to "deliver". And if at all, not half way.

After a couple of petrol cars, I think I owned 10 or so with LPG. I was able to destroy all of them after 60K or so miles (LPG is way more hot). Then I started with diesel, and I love it.

My latest is from prior to dieselgate.

XXHighEnd (developer)

45 minutes ago, esldude said:

UPS has for years run many of their trucks on LPG or CNG including their semi trucks. 

For the record, CNG is very different from LPG. I don't think we can get CNG widely spread here (although a couple of city buses hop around on it and theoretically we should be able to get it from the home feed (filling takes many hours in that case)).

Btw, LPG is a byproduct from refine oil (or even natural gas exploitation).

I don't think that UPS (or anything) will make a chance in using CNG now it will be banned from the homes in near future (as I told about earlier on).

XXHighEnd (developer)

56 minutes ago, esldude said:

I don't think that UPS (or anything) will make a chance in using CNG now it will be banned from the homes in near future (as I told about earlier on).

I was talking about Holland. No-way CNG will be promoted from now (yesterday) on.

If you meant something else I am mistaken on, then I fail to see what that is. :)

XXHighEnd (developer)

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

Obviously you don't read my posts carefully.  You reflexively replied to them.

Nope. read it twice (not the links, tbh). Now for the third time. Help me out ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 hours ago, esldude said:

You then wrote how natural gas powered engines didn't last long and weren't going to be practical for large transport trucks.

I did not say that at all ...

13 hours ago, PeterSt said:

For the record, CNG is very different from LPG.

Remember that I said that ?

What I scratched from that post I better had left in for your understanding: that I never have seen a LPG filling station in the US. But that doesn't tell much, because I wouldn't run into that in Germany either (while it surely exists).

So by now there are a 100 reasons we talk passed each other.

It appears that you obviously know the difference, but somehow you think CNG (natural gas in compressed form) only. Not sure why that is. Possibly you have LPG filling stations in the US as well. But not really important.

Over here, we may have a handful of CNG filling stations. No cars drive around running on it (too few to ever spot). Say the same as hydrogen. This could be different in adjacent countries.

You seem to think that natural gas (that's what Compressed Natural Gas is, after all), is infinitely available to you and to us.

I told that we exploit it (btw, 25b kubic meters or so per year) but also that within a couple of years we are not allowed to use it for the homes any more because we can't exploit it any more (earth collapses - earth quakes, destroyed houses).

I don't know about the whole of the US, but over here close to 100% of houses run on NG, hence not oil or something. Only a (growing) handful of green, like 100% electricity (like you, if I got that right). Some are 100% green because they generate there own electricity (on average, throughout the year (solar panels)).

We *will* stop using Natural Gas.

And somehow you are telling me that UPS is going to use that for their trucks, over here, although you recognize the difference in countries we talk about.

I told nothing new in this post, so far.

Over here, there is no discussion required about yes or no NG for transportation, because we don't use it anyway. Except for those couple of city buses.

We do have "millions" of cars running on LPG (a mixture of propane and butane). I did not hear discussions about it but in my view that should decrease too, just because the exploitation of NG will stop and we are not going to import it either. Regarding the import/export balance, it can well be (I did not look it up) that we export way more of NG than we use ourselves. IOW, it is relatively crazy expensive to stop exploiting it in the first place, let alone that we are going to import it. We won't.

FYI (but I already said that too) the connection between NG and LPG is that LPG is a byproduct from refining NG (and/or oil). You know that, but the relation to less LPG because of less NG may not be 100% obvious.

And oil is hardly exploited these days (we about ran out of it). Do we import that ? I don't think so. There is no reason to (apart from some plastics production here and there).

Sort of related:

Although it is possible (I have seen it at times) no large trucks run on LPG to begin with (as far as I know 100% of large trucks run on diesel, and that is incompatible with any sort of gas - petrol motors are).

No big trucks run on NG.

Try to see through that you drive through all of this country in a couple of hours (queues left alone) and that you'll end up in Germany or Belgium and France and more (UK as long as it exists ;-), and that there is no common sense about the fuel except for petrol and diesel. So trucks coming in don't have NG/LPG and trucks going out would run out when they would depend on it (but each LPG provided car will run on petrol in parallel (systems). Not possible with CNG, I'd say.

The UPS trucks you showed, do not exist over here. For the size they do exist for DHL and FedEx, but not for UPS. Only the small mid-sized trucks. They would be able to run on LPG all right, but they don't (I'll ask the driver next time).

image.png.b7fc283d4198f8e5e09a776b0f0f6273.png

Only these.

All 'n all we could be the first country which is forced to go much greener than anywhere, because of the coincidental complicated situation of a. exploiting gas at first even with export value and b. the necessity to stop this and the crazy amount of money involved, relatively (we won't import it because of that).

And then we are the by far worst on windmills (except the typical Dutch ones but they are useless and only a relative hand full) (e.g. Germany may have a 1000 times more windmills per square km) so at least we have a lot of catching up to do. The amount of solar panels is growing, but I don't see them in sufficient amounts soon. This is also related to it being too expensive and like someone from the UK told, at times of over production you only get 20% or so of what you need to pay to the grid provider when obtaining it. Add to that that 99% of houses do not have the space for solar panels anyway and that most of the remaining will not have the space to be fully self providing.

The government is talking about heatpumps but in my view this is a hoax because they consume about more energy to circulate the water (to dozens of meters into the earth) than that heat can be stored and retained for profitable energy. Btw, a heatpump is not a pump for the heating system, but a device/installation that hydrates warmth from water (like creating 60C from 20C, the 20C cooling down to freezing). It requires a normal (very high power) pump to circulate the water.

On a last side note, my house has been built to be as green as possible and it contains 100s of sensors and valves to do so. Here is a very small part of it (under ground):

image.png.c2db8c86f7c60b7cb218624e49c66a58.png

with 5 miles of that red tubing (no typo there).

I only show this to testify sort of that I am quite involved.

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 hours ago, esldude said:

Yes. But by the time that happens over here ...

No.

The Tesla trucks would be more of a viable solution (methinks). 

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 minutes ago, esldude said:

Perhaps skipping them wasn't helpful in understanding the context of my posts.  

Nice. But it was obvious to me that you talked about the USA situation. Point is that you were responding to my post. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe you missed the several "over here" in the first place. Maybe the world is about the USA.

But who cares. Let's stop this. :)

XXHighEnd (developer)

10 minutes ago, esldude said:

There is a station near me, that has propane

Just a question: Would that be the same as LPG in the US (or your opinion) ?

Over here it is not;

Both propane and butane can be bought all right, but this is for camping like stuff (from small pots to 40L or so small vessels). For sure it can't be obtained for filling up. Thus, not on its own (while LPG is a mixture of both).

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 minutes ago, esldude said:

LNG is liquified natural gas in the USA has to be at least 85% methane.

OK, so you have LNG besides CNG.

As far as I know over here we only have (a bit of) CNG (just the most normal natural gas but in compressed form). Not sure about transport/storage (which would/could be in CNG form).

Now I am going to hunt down a methanol filling station. Catch up some time on the road ...

XXHighEnd (developer)