IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

Well, here's a scientist characterizing other scientists as "so freaked out:"

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 hours ago, esldude said:

https://climatefeedback.org/

Maybe someone can send Ms Thunberg this link.  It might calm her anxiety a bit sometimes.  This is a very fair and balanced site.  Not climate denying, nor fear mongering.  

Responses are by scientists with expertise in the field of climate science. 

Here is an example rebutting Stephen Hawkings claiming Trump could cause a runaway greenhouse effect like on Venus. 

https://climatefeedback.org/claimreview/earth-is-not-at-risk-of-becoming-a-hothouse-like-venus-as-stephen-hawking-claimed-bbc/

Or this one rebutting a Washington Examiner and Zero Hedge article about the failure of climate models.

https://climatefeedback.org/evaluation/washington-examiner-op-ed-cherry-picks-data-to-mislead-readers-about-climate-models-patrick-michaels-caleb-stewart-rossiter/

Or this one where they confirm an NBC news story on climate change was accurate.

https://climatefeedback.org/evaluation/nbc-news-story-accurately-covers-research-on-two-millennia-of-climate-history-jaclyn-jeffrey-wilensky/

Another excellent site for climate science: http://www.realclimate.org/

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

31 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

How many statements like these become accepted as truth because they were re-posted by people without any thought or attempt at corroboration? Just for fun I decided to randomly pick one "fact" and made an effort to verify it.

If you are 15 years old, emissions went up 30% in your lifetime.

https://www.eia.gov/environment/emissions/carbon/

Don't know whether it makes a difference to the result, but worth pointing out your source speaks only to the US and only to the energy sector, not transportation, agriculture, etc 

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

I mostly agree with Ms. Thunberg. But I don't like her attitude; it's confrontional and not helpful. Angry people don't impress me.  YMMV. 

I would say some part of that is very possibly due to the Asperger's. Folks on that part of the spectrum are often very intelligent but have an anomalous affect (using the psychological meaning of that word). So I cut her some slack in that regard.

14 minutes ago, mansr said:

I'm talking about the presentation, not the message.

Yes, heaven save us from annoying people! 😉

16 hours ago, esldude said:

Now I'm surprised no one has posted how we get to zero emissions starting in 1970 and reaching it in 2050.  I'm all for it, but I'm not seeing the path yet. 

Working on an answer, but not until tomorrow. Not that it will be any great thing, or that my very limited knowledge should give anyone the impression that my answer in any way limits the possibilities known to those actually working in the field.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

After all the Chinese activity to steal intellectual property of western countries how politically viable do you think that is?

In fact I think the Chinese may be ahead of us in many respects regarding "green" tech, so it is not as if the sharing would all be going one way. In both basic and applied scientific research the Chinese have been making great strides, while the US has de-prioritized at least basic research, so we need to get accustomed to not making our former assumption that we would be leading the world.

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

nope

I implicitly trust your assessment. 😀

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, semente said:

We needs strong and honest politicians, free (from business-interference) media, a more educated population and competent researchers/thinkers to help us mould this new world.

Sad to say this, because I share the goal and try to do my part as I see it, but I think the response to this came from a hokey old US TV show called Dragnet.

Dragnet was a show about Police Sergeant Joe Friday (told you it was hokey) bringing miscreants to justice every week.  Friday's character specialized in a less sophisticated version of the acerbic one-liners Clint Eastwood and then Arnold Schwartzenegger would go on to make much more famous.

One week I happened to turn to it as Friday was interviewing a generic leftist longhaired hippie troublemaker type.  The hippie was passionately protesting that his actions were intended to bring about a future more perfect world.

Sgt. Friday (deadpan, acerbic): "Can't have a perfect world."

Mr. Hippie (outraged, impassioned): "Why not?!"

Sgt. Friday (deadpan, acerbic): "No perfect people."

Mr. Hippie: Visibly deflated silence.

The Internet is only the latest of a long line of technologies and institutions that were supposed to make us better educated, better off, and better behaved.  In general we do seem to be making slow, incremental progress on the first two.  But I doubt that better education has actually made us smarter or our decisions better, and I don't think human behavior has changed much if at all as a result.

We got into this mess being the vastly imperfect humans we are, and in the increasingly unlikely event we get out of it,  it will have to be via methods this same vastly imperfect humanity can utilize.

1 hour ago, semente said:

Perhaps got into this mess being the vastly greedy humans we are. Or am I the only one to see a correlation between profit and environmental disaster?

Well of course who profits from corporate profit? Vastly greedy humans. I don't understand the distinction some folks make between corporations run by and comprised of individual people, and individual people when they leave work at the corporations and are sitting at home. Ethically, what is different?

Deregulation and weak governance got us here, mostly driven by corruption but also by ideology.

I disagree with Priaptor that government is somehow uniquely less competent and more wasteful compared to private corporations. But seeing the deregulation and weak governance humans have so far wrought, what makes you think people will suddenly change?

It wouldn’t be so bad if we all had profited more fairly but that is not the case.

Yes it would be so bad, unless by "we all" you include all living things on the planet, meaning humans would have been good stewards right along.

Sorry not to be offering any quick solutions, but I'm not that smart.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

The flooding problem is hardly the effect of climate change but everything to do with overbuilding, interfering drainage and the underlying water table so vital to the health of SE FL.

There are now 30 days a year of fair weather flooding in Miami. There's never been any drainage, as the water table is a couple of feet below ground, so there's nowhere to drain to. (I used to experience this during storms when I lived there for several years.)

Within my lifetime (I'm in my mid-60s), the number of days per year of fair weather flooding in Miami is projected to reach 150.