IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

6 hours ago, semente said:

Since the Greens have now taken over the thread, why don't we talk about the Carbon fooprint of streaming?

Climate change: Is your Netflix habit bad for the environment?
The entire information technology (IT) sector - from powering internet servers to charging smartphones - is already estimated to have the same carbon footprint as the aviation industry's fuel emissions.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45798523

Music consumption has unintended economic and environmental costs

https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_643297_en.html

At least streaming produces a usable product that provides much pleasure.  This seams relatively unnecessary to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/17/bitcoin-big-oil-environment-energy

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

15 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Just for fun ... It could be against ethics, but what if you'd change the title of this thread ...

What if title change turns out to be far more dangerous than climate change?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Rather than being phased out or generally replaced, there are still companies building brand new MTBE production units.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, Iving said:

Beautiful

My first record is an embarrassing story. My father was posted in Malta. The only shop was the NAAFI. Folks joked it stood for "Never Aff Any Fing In". I wanted ELO's "Roll Over Beethoven" or Status Quo "Paper Plane". All they had was Neil Diamond "Song Sung Blue". And I bought it anyway.

P.S. If you don't know it already, try The Sweet's "Turn It Down". Same vibe. Even better!

Coincidentally, I was listening to some very old Status Quo material recently, and some from when they were the Spectres. Some good stuff there, and what was interesting is that some of it sounds absolutely nothing like Status Quo.

3 hours ago, Confused said:

Apologies for the off-topic, but this recording is very dear to my heart. It happens to be the B side of the first record I bought. It cost 45 pence, which was a lit of money back then, I would have been 7 years old with about twelve and a half pence a week pocket money. I can recall the lady in the shop saying that it was 45 pence and thinking it can't be that much money, she's got the price mixed up with the record speed. (£0.45p equates to about £3.29 in todays money)

My much older brother who was then 17 used to like playing this to his mates and asking them to guess who the band was., Nobody knew the track as it was a B side. Much fun we had when people said, umm, don't know, is it Zeppelin? Deep Purple maybe?

A long time ago, but happy memories.

Back on topic, how times change. I can remember back then that we had science programmes on TV warning about the growing evidence for how were were progressing into the next ice age. It was also predicted that global oil supplies would run out in about ten years. I can remember worrying that by the time I would be old enough to drive, there would be no petrol left.....

EDIT: I have just realised that I made a mistake in the above post. 45p in 1973 would actually be £5.56 today. (for a 45rpm single record) Gosh ....  Makes the 99p downloads from iTunes look very cheap

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, PYP said:

In the meantime, the confluence of global warming (= severe drought) and war will result in a huge number of people starving or at the point of starvation.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/24/business/ukraine-russia-wheat-prices.html?searchResultPosition=1

Ukraine Invasion Threatens Global Wheat Supply

Russia and Ukraine together produce nearly a quarter of the world’s wheat, and coming disruptions could fuel higher food prices and social unrest.

Yes, I was being optimistic in my earlier post, thinking that the desire for regions to have energy security together with the increased costs of conventional energy would actually make green energy truly desirable and politically palatable for many countries and regions, thus enabling the investment it needs.

A more pessimistic view would be future wars over water, food and habitable climates .

I suspect the future will include elements of both.

Regarding water, I last year I watched the documentary "H2O: The Molecule that Made Us". A good watch and included some very interesting material.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/molecule-that-made-us/home/watch/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000zgd9/h2o-the-molecule-that-made-us-series-1-3-crisis