IGNORED

Sonore Linear Power Supply

22 minutes ago, barrows said:

To be clear, the orientation I use is with the "S" to the inside (middle) of the chassis and the "R" to the outside of the chassis.  In this orientation, AC current flows in the S side of the fuse and out the R side of the fuse.  Of course this is AC some none of it really makes sense at all!  But there is something going on...

Yep, this is the way I installed it to get best sound. Just completed the positioning of my Blue Fuses in my monoblocks and my jaw is back on the floor again...Really crazy,  but it works!

Roon/Tidal > Win 10 PC > Asus RT-N66 U router > Furutech LAN 7 cable > opticalModule/LPS-1.2> opticalRendu/Ultra PS > Wireworld Platinum 7 USB  > Bechmark DAC 3 HGC > Acoustic Zen Absolute XLR interconnect > Classé Audio CA-M600 Monoblocs > Acoustic Zen Absolute bi-wired speaker cables > Rebuilt Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers.

Ok, listen to @barrows. I had it other way around. There is more bass and body to the music this way around. Can't go wrong either way though, imo, and a lot may depend on how revealing your system is. I should have maybe gone for a Blue after all, but the $75 shipped for a Black was mighty appealing. You know, ski passes and important things like that to buy...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Ordered mine. :) Would anyone have an inside picture?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

• 1 month later...

I'm blaming the posters on this forum for convincing me to buy the new Sonore LPS with the works (Blue fuse and DC-4) 🤑.  I chose this over the well-regarded UpTone LPS-1.2 because I wanted the extra current for my ultraRendu to power the 5VBUS on my ifi micro iDSD BL, which also drives my power-hungry HD800.  I upgraded from the very capable SGC LPS.

I've had the unit powered up for 10 days now. It really needs to burn in because it sounded awful when I unpacked it fresh off the delivery truck (yeah, I couldn't wait).  It was harsh - not sure if it was the cable, fuse, power supply or all combined.  But it has settled in nicely now and it's a keeper.

The best way to describe the difference is that it makes the old LPS sound compressed, like going back to MP3.  I thought the old set up sounded fantastic before, but I guess I didn't know what I was missing.  Such are the perils of audiophilia. The new sound is more natural and musical.  Even though there is more definition to the sound, it is easier to listen to.  The soundstage is much more open.  And the bass - wow - deep and more body.  Highs are clearer.  The vocals are more life-like.  And it runs much cooler than the SGC LPS.

A year ago I had no idea was NAA was.  I just wanted to not have my DAC tethered to my MacBook and to get around the DoP limitation. Now I'm a believer.  Although I still can't believe I spent almost as much on the power supply kit as the ultraRendu.  How much for a fuse? 🤣

A very worthwhile upgrade!

21 hours ago, MikePid said:

I'm blaming the posters on this forum for convincing me to buy the new Sonore LPS with the works (Blue fuse and DC-4) 🤑.  I chose this over the well-regarded UpTone LPS-1.2 because I wanted the extra current for my ultraRendu to power the 5VBUS on my ifi micro iDSD BL, which also drives my power-hungry HD800.  I upgraded from the very capable SGC LPS.

I've had the unit powered up for 10 days now. It really needs to burn in because it sounded awful when I unpacked it fresh off the delivery truck (yeah, I couldn't wait).  It was harsh - not sure if it was the cable, fuse, power supply or all combined.  But it has settled in nicely now and it's a keeper.

The best way to describe the difference is that it makes the old LPS sound compressed, like going back to MP3.  I thought the old set up sounded fantastic before, but I guess I didn't know what I was missing.  Such are the perils of audiophilia. The new sound is more natural and musical.  Even though there is more definition to the sound, it is easier to listen to.  The soundstage is much more open.  And the bass - wow - deep and more body.  Highs are clearer.  The vocals are more life-like.  And it runs much cooler than the SGC LPS.

A year ago I had no idea was NAA was.  I just wanted to not have my DAC tethered to my MacBook and to get around the DoP limitation. Now I'm a believer.  Although I still can't believe I spent almost as much on the power supply kit as the ultraRendu.  How much for a fuse? 🤣

A very worthwhile upgrade!

I appreciate your feedback...enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 5:50 PM, MikePid said:

OMG.  This power supply continues to amaze me by showing what the ultraRendu is really capable of!  This is one of those upgrades that results in rediscovering my music again.  I am hopping all over my music library and really enjoying the subtleties that I had not heard before.  The vocals are so lifelike too.  I find myself stopping what I’m doing often to just listen because the sound is so captivating. 😄

The power supply and the Rendu are directly coupled to your DAC via copper. People are spending so much time and effort on highly questionable tweaks and not paying enough attention to the obvious. Enjoy!   

I have a CI Audio 7v power supply - which was a massive improvement over the iPower I originally used with my microRendu 1.4.   I think it's really good, but of course have no way of comparing it with the Sonore PS.  My question is...would replacing the CI Audio with this PS make a more substantial difference than say upgrading my Rendu to Ultra or Optical?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

2 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I have a CI Audio 7v power supply - which was a massive improvement over the iPower I originally used with my microRendu 1.4.   I think it's really good, but of course have no way of comparing it with the Sonore PS.  My question is...would replacing the CI Audio with this PS make a more substantial difference than say upgrading my Rendu to Ultra or Optical?

Just my opinion but the CI 7v is a very nice PS. I think your upgrade value would be in going to an uR or oR (and oM if needed). The CI 7v would still work with either new Rendu as well.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Just now, OldBigEars said:

I know it's common around these here parts to use words like massive and substantial when describing improvements, but "homey don't play that". The iFi iPower Supply it is an inexpensive SMPS. I use them here for casual listening and recommend them to people because they work on just about any power outlet in the world. I recommend that people use the best power supply they can afford because they make things subjectively and objectively better. The CI Audio 7v power supply is very good so no worries there.    

23 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I know it's common around these here parts to use words like massive and substantial when describing improvements, but "homey don't play that". The iFi iPower Supply it is an inexpensive SMPS. I use them here for casual listening and recommend them to people because they work on just about any power outlet in the world. I recommend that people use the best power supply they can afford because they make things subjectively and objectively better. The CI Audio 7v power supply is very good so no worries there.    

I understand there's much hyperbole, and we all have different calibration levels, in this hobby.  I'll just say that...relative to all the other tweaks and investments I've made to my system over the years, adding a better power supply to my mR was one of the clearest and um 'most significant' (sorry) that  I can recall.  I really couldn't appreciate a great benefit from my mR until I did that.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

49 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I understand there's much hyperbole, and we all have different calibration levels, in this hobby.  I'll just say that...relative to all the other tweaks and investments I've made to my system over the years, adding a better power supply to my mR was one of the clearest and um 'most significant' (sorry) that  I can recall.  I really couldn't appreciate a great benefit from my mR until I did that.

I agree with you because we can show this subjectively and objectively.

• 1 month later...

What is the maximum and minimum voltages the 110V US version can accept to run undamaged and within spec?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

On 11/25/2019 at 7:48 AM, Axiom05 said:

Just my opinion but the CI 7v is a very nice PS. I think your upgrade value would be in going to an uR or oR (and oM if needed). The CI 7v would still work with either new Rendu as well.

Belated thanks - this would be my guess too but I'm still curious (of course).

2 hours ago, Matias said:

What is the maximum and minimum voltages the 110V US version can accept to run undamaged and within spec?

Would this be for the 5 VDC output version or the 7 VDC output version?  I would have to check, certainly voltages above 130 VAC should be avoided for the 115 vAC US version.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 11/25/2019 at 6:48 AM, Axiom05 said:

I think your upgrade value would be in going to an uR or oR (and oM if needed). The CI 7v would still work with either new Rendu as well.

I tend to agree with the as well.  However, I can only speak to the OR and although the jump in $ to the OR is significant, the difference is so substantial from a mU I'm blown away (FWIW I'm going fiber straight from switch to OR in listening room).  The funny thing is the mU is fantastic as is! 

I thought about this LPS but fig I can always upgrade.  However, the SGC 50W LPS  made for the OR is working fabulous as is - I'm in no hurry.

*edit*  I was in no way was trying to discourage upgrading to the SONORE LPS, I was just trying to put @Axiom05 in context with my experience

My rig

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Would this be for the 5 VDC output version or the 7 VDC output version?  I would have to check, certainly voltages above 130 VAC should be avoided for the 115 vAC US version.

7V version. My mains here is nominal 127V but sometimes fluctuates to 128-129V.

8 minutes ago, Matias said:

7V version. My mains here is nominal 127V but sometimes fluctuates to 128-129V.

You should be fine.  The only potential "problem" with high voltage would be too much internal heat generation, but this would not be a problem under 130 VAC continuous, and peak voltages above 130 are no problem.

I am not sure about low voltages, but there is no need for concern with voltages at 110 and above, if one has AC line voltage in the US consistently below 110 I would advise contacting your utility company.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 1/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, Foggie said:

What was your old supply?

My old supply was the very capable SGC LPS.  When I was buying my ultraRendu I decided to go with that instead of the basic ifi (which is great value and good enough for many people).  Looking to see if I could do better,  I found that Sonore created this one, and decided to give it a try.  At more than 3 times the cost, you start getting to diminishing returns.  Is it 3 times better - hard to say.  I also went for the deluxe upgrade of SR Blue fuse and Sonore DC-4, so I’m not sure how much these contribute, but worth the money for me. I’m also using a Pangea AC 14-SE MkII power cord, because I had that lying around looking for a new purpose.

BTW, this runs cool.  Not much more than room temperature driving either my ultraRendu or my EtherREGEN.  The SGC runs hot with either.

When I get a chance, I’ll try to see if it is worth getting a second one of these to upgrade the SGC LPS I’m using for the EtherREGEN (which was a worthwhile improvement over the stock SMPS that came with it, especially since I already had it, after retiring it from ultraRendu duty).  It’ll mean running the ultraRendu from the stock SMPS so I can “A/B” the SGC and Sonore LPS, but it should give me an idea if the difference is worthwhile.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...