IGNORED

Sonore Linear Power Supply

1 minute ago, seaharp1 said:

Will the original Signature Power Supply (before SE) be okay for optical rendu?

Yes, it will provide superb performance.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 5/29/2019 at 9:21 PM, barrows said:

Yes, it will provide superb performance.

I may be able to get one used. 

Is this 9V only ?

How many ampere?

Can it be modified to even better performance, like adding those 3045 regulators ?

24 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Is this 9V only ?

How many ampere?

Can it be modified to even better performance, like adding those 3045 regulators ?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

25 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I see, you are referring to the Sonore Signature Supply.

It is 7 VDC output (some may be 8 VDC, i do not quite remember).

The regulator we use performs at least as well as, and with more current capability than the LT 3045, so I would not bother trying to "improve" it!

Output current for the Signature Supply is about 1.5 A continuous, it can actually do much more, but may overheat if in a hot room and asked to output 2A continuous or more.  It was designed for the microRendu, so was never expected to be run at 2A continuous.

SONORE computer audio

Still waiting for one part to arrive before being ready to make a first batch of units.  I am also recovering from a bike accident (I will not go into detail here), which is making builds just a little difficult: they will happen, I am just limiting the amount of time I work right now.  I am a detail oriented perfectionist when I do the builds, so I will not rush things.  Remember, these supplies are hand built one at a time.

Should not be too long right now. 

SONORE computer audio

On 5/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, barrows said:

The question is, would most customers place the Rendu directly adjacent to the power supply and use a short cable?

Personally? No. 

When possible, I like to keep power supplies away from components, preferably on a separate shelf in the audio rack.  I also like to keep anything with a CPU operating at high-bandwidth, e.g. a music server or network renderer, streamer, bridge, etc as far away as is practical from the DAC. This is to prevent component-to-component interference (this is an area where Shunyata Research, for example, has made great strides with their current products). This is also the reason I don't have my C-J CT-5 preamp sitting in the audio rack directly over the very large transformers of my C-J LP-70S tube amplifier. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

I do not use an opticalRendu here, but with my opticalModule I place the oM on top of the power supply, separated by two blocks which provide about 1.5" of spacing above the power supply.  A short DC power cable is a BIG advantage especially with power supplies connecting to digital components like this.  I have found the impedance (aka "speed") of the power supply to be critical for performance, and any length of wire "slows" the power supply (hence John's advice for star quad cables with low inductance).

Of course you do not want the power component too close to the power supply, as it could pick up radiated EM from the transformer: but at current levels around 1A max, the transformer is not producing a very large EM field, really only a couple of inches of separation from the transformer is needed to avoid issues.  I would advise doing what you need to to have a clean set up, but use the shortest possible DC cable.  With my opticalModule I am using a 8" DC cable. 

SONORE computer audio

Will the rear jack on the back of the new ps be a GX-16-2, XLR or 2.1DC or other? 

For my LPS-1 to microRendu I ended up with a very short, almost hardwired connection - Oyaide dc plug with Neotech 12g solid core OCC, just separated by air, with about 4" from the LPS to an LT3045, then two inches after that into the microRendu on the shelf below it (sticking out from the rear of the DAC V1). Super DIY looking (though not visible from the room) but makes for a big sound. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Will the rear jack on the back of the new ps be a GX-16-2, XLR or 2.1DC or other? 

For my LPS-1 to microRendu I ended up with a very short, almost hardwired connection - Oyaide dc plug with Neotech 12g solid core OCC, just separated by air, with about 4" from the LPS to an LT3045, then two inches after that into the microRendu on the shelf below it (sticking out from the rear of the DAC V1). Super DIY looking (though not visible from the room) but makes for a big sound. 

The output port is a nice 2.1 mm single pin connector. 

On 5/25/2019 at 7:13 PM, Superdad said:

What does that even mean?!   Are you commenting about the PS that Sonore is teasing?

Sorry, I thought it was the same ZeroZone look a like they are selling now.  

Didn’t understand this was a new product. 

Yes, these units are hand built, one at a time, and wired (and fused) for either 115 VAC, or 230 VAC.  They are fully linear supplies and as such are not multi voltage capable.  BTW, it is a small performance advantage to wire them directly for a fixed voltage, as this eliminates extra connections and switches in the high voltage input path-input AC wires go directly (in a star quad twist) from the IEC connector to the transformer with no additional connections or junctions-clean and simple.

SONORE computer audio

On 5/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, barrows said:

You do not want to power the opticalModule and the opticalRendu from the same power supply, as this would defeat the isolation provided by optical Ethernet....

With products like this one is paying a premium price for very high performance (vs. standard consumer gears), so it does not make much sense to then hamper the components performance by sharing power supplies.

The point is well taken, but then it immediately brings to mind the 200w LPS pictured here, which I have had on my SGC wishlist for a while now, precisely because of the claim that it is "Great for powering the ultraRendu or microRendu, ultraDigital, and a sonicTransporter at the same time." 

I am assuming your statement might be restricted to powering the "opticalModule and the opticalRendu" with the same LPS, however, my perfectly non-expert point of view is tempted to extend that meaning to practically all Sonore products (and others) that might require a power supply, and if that happens, I'd just have to strike that 200w LPS of my wishlist, as I would like to avoid the possibility of reciprocal noise pollution of any two or more components being powered simultaneously by that 200w LPS

To simplify my question : which sonore components, if any, could use that LPS jointly without running the kind of reciprocal noise pollution you're warning against?  Could i use to power both an OpticalRendu, and a Sonic Transporter, for example, without exposing both of them to mutual noise infection?

I am also tempted to ask how it stacks up against the upcoming UltraSupply, when paired with the OpticalRendu and another unit (where the reciprocal noise pollution is not an issue).   Can one use the 200w LPS to power the OpticalRendu and other components simultaneously and still get performance that is comparable to that of the UltraSupply with the OpticalRendu?

47 minutes ago, barrows said:

As noted previously, this is basically a simplified version of the Sonore Signature Power Supply, with a less costly chassis, less features, and slightly changed parts spec-the actual performance is very, very close to that unit.

So in theory we should expect equal SQ as the Signature SE ? 😀