Jump to content
krelldog

Annoying Yiggy Issue

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I love my Yiggy except for this issue.

If I turn on or switch fan speeds on my ceiling fan...it terminates my connection from my Mac Mini to my Yiggy.

 

With that said-all of my components are plugged into a PS Audio P-10...and the P-10 is plugged into a dedicated outlet on its own 20 amp circuit.

The ceiling fan switch is also a fan switch like its supposed to be.

 

Any ideas???  Its not an issue during cold months....but a big issue during summer time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the problem exist without the P-10?

Does the problem exist with a different computer driving the Yggy?

Have you tried a different USB port on the Mac Mini?


Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you able to change speeds using the typical chain pull, if so does that cause same symptom?

 

Unlikely that switch is at fault, the fact that gear is on separate circuit but  has problem sounds more like RFI caused interference

from fan motor.


Regards,

Dave

 

Audio system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No chain pull...Its a newer Hunter Ceiling Fan with a newer fan switch.

 

If its RFI...what can I do to stop it from happening ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, krelldog said:

BTW...I also have an Uptone Regen and the 1.2 power supply in the chain also ...

I have a similar setup. Occasionally the Uptone will drop. On my Yggy the sample rate lights will turn off but the power and input lights stay on. It happens so seldom I've yet to trouble shoot it.


PPA USB> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable >LPS-1/IR/USCPB>Yggy>Freya>Mono Vidars>B&W CM5 & Definitive Technology SubAmp 600>Mmatts 15 &  Lyr 3> , Mr.Speakers Ether 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure the issue is RFI,  more as the fan turns on or off a large voltage spike is created. This spike may be induced with the fan cable being close to the power supply cable for the p10. 

 

Fan motors are only small and shouldn't pose such a problem,  perhaps the switch is wearing out due to fatigue and arcing unnecessarily.


AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Start by simplifying the chain, connect USB source directly to Yggy, see if problem goes away. If still present, try a different USB cable, the shortest you have. If either

step works, you know the interference issue is up stream from the Yggy. Worry later about whether its RFI or a voltage spike somehow making it through your P-10,

whats important now is to isolate at what point in your source to DAC solution the problem is introduced.

 

 

 

+1 this the way to approach the problem.


To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, krelldog said:

I took the Uptone Regen out of the loop....Now its fine....no interruption.

 

 

 

Not sure how old your Yggy is, but if it it has the Gen 5 USB implementation, external "decrapifiers" are redundant - worse really as they are another point of failure.


Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, krelldog said:

I took the Uptone Regen out of the loop....Now its fine....no interruption.

 

 

Want to sell the Regen cheap?  Or does it come with a guarantee?


To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, krelldog said:

I took the Uptone Regen out of the loop....Now its fine....no interruption.

 

 

I would be curious if the problem returns if you put in a hub powered USB "purifier", like the Intona or the iFI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume this is the ISORegen?

I had the same problem. With ISORegen in chain, switch the lights - music computer shuts down.

I gave the ISORegen to a friend.

Intona Industrial and the Singxer UIP-1 both work OK in my room.

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/singxer-uip-1-isolate-processor-usb2-0-usb-interface.html

 

I am currently using the Gustard U16 DDC and find this still benefits from the  UIP-1 followed by a W4S Recovery - all powered separately by either LPS-1.2 or LPS-1's followed by LT3045 DC-DC convertor boxes. Wonderful and consistent SQ...

 

That is great to hear Schiit is making progress with USB inputs, I have found similar results with the Audio-GD isolated Amanero USB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 8:15 AM, krelldog said:

I love my Yiggy except for this issue.

If I turn on or switch fan speeds on my ceiling fan...it terminates my connection from my Mac Mini to my Yiggy.

 

With that said-all of my components are plugged into a PS Audio P-10...and the P-10 is plugged into a dedicated outlet on its own 20 amp circuit.

The ceiling fan switch is also a fan switch like its supposed to be.

 

Any ideas???  Its not an issue during cold months....but a big issue during summer time.

Interesting. I have a Yiggy and a Mac Mini. This does not happen to me. Of course, my audio equipment is isolated from the house mains with a 30 Amp hospital isolation transformer/mains filter. That might be the reason.DSCN0153.thumb.jpg.0d08fdefe57240fbdba9f5fcc3a3d312.jpg

 

My main problem, at the moment, with the Yiggy, is that after I heard one of my own orchestral recordings (Ravel’s “Daphnis et Chloe”, the complete ballet) played through a Chord Hugo 2, I no longer consider the Yiggy as anything better than a 2nd rate DAC!


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Interesting. I have a Yiggy and a Mac Mini. This does not happen to me. Of course, my audio equipment is isolated from the house mains with a 30 Amp hospital isolation transformer/mains filter. That might be the reason.DSCN0153.thumb.jpg.0d08fdefe57240fbdba9f5fcc3a3d312.jpg

 

My main problem, at the moment, with the Yiggy, is that after I heard one of my own orchestral recordings (Ravel’s “Daphnis et Chloe”, the complete ballet) played through a Chord Hugo 2, I no longer consider the Yiggy as anything better than a 2nd rate DAC!

In my opinion you rate the Yggy much too highly by calling it 2nd rate.  Maybe lower 3rd rate.  Worse if you consider the price they charge for it.  Repeat after me:  Don't DO SCHITT!


To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, esldude said:

In my opinion you rate the Yggy much too highly by calling it 2nd rate.  Maybe lower 3rd rate.  Worse if you consider the price they charge for it.  Repeat after me:  Don't DO SCHITT!

 

Something personal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, esldude said:

In my opinion you rate the Yggy much too highly by calling it 2nd rate.  Maybe lower 3rd rate.  Worse if you consider the price they charge for it.  Repeat after me:  Don't DO SCHITT!

Well, it’s not THAT BAD! My Yiggy is certainly a decent DAC. For instance, I’ve never heard a Delta-Sigma DAC that could hold a candle to the Schiit Yggdrasil, and that includes the latest ESS SaberDAC Pro based units. It’s just that the Chord unit works on an entirely different principle with its 49000+ filter taps! CDs, digital files of all bit depths and sample rates resolve details, that I didn’t even know were there! This includes my own recordings which I know intimately, or at least I thought I did.


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Well, it’s not THAT BAD! My Yiggy is certainly a decent DAC. For instance, I’ve never heard a Delta-Sigma DAC that could hold a candle to the Schiit Yggdrasil, and that includes the latest ESS SaberDAC Pro based units. It’s just that the Chord unit works on an entirely different principle with its 49000+ filter taps! CDs, digital files of all bit depths and sample rates resolve details, that I didn’t even know were there! This includes my own recordings which I know intimately, or at least I thought I did.

 

I appreciate your opinion. However, comparing Gungnir with Chord Mojo I came to rather opposite conclusions. Yes, I fully understand the difference between entry level and more advanced item from Chord. There is also certain difference between two Schiit DACs. Still I could guess there is some specific sound signatures within particular approach. To me Gungnir sounds much more natural, fatigue-free, "analogue". Resolution my impress immensely in a short run, but long run impact seem to be more important to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...