IGNORED

Annoying Yiggy Issue

On 5/25/2019 at 8:15 AM, krelldog said:

I love my Yiggy except for this issue.

If I turn on or switch fan speeds on my ceiling fan...it terminates my connection from my Mac Mini to my Yiggy.

With that said-all of my components are plugged into a PS Audio P-10...and the P-10 is plugged into a dedicated outlet on its own 20 amp circuit.

The ceiling fan switch is also a fan switch like its supposed to be.

Any ideas???  Its not an issue during cold months....but a big issue during summer time.

Interesting. I have a Yiggy and a Mac Mini. This does not happen to me. Of course, my audio equipment is isolated from the house mains with a 30 Amp hospital isolation transformer/mains filter. That might be the reason.DSCN0153.thumb.jpg.0d08fdefe57240fbdba9f5fcc3a3d312.jpg

My main problem, at the moment, with the Yiggy, is that after I heard one of my own orchestral recordings (Ravel’s “Daphnis et Chloe”, the complete ballet) played through a Chord Hugo 2, I no longer consider the Yiggy as anything better than a 2nd rate DAC!

George

1 hour ago, esldude said:

In my opinion you rate the Yggy much too highly by calling it 2nd rate.  Maybe lower 3rd rate.  Worse if you consider the price they charge for it.  Repeat after me:  Don't DO SCHITT!

Well, it’s not THAT BAD! My Yiggy is certainly a decent DAC. For instance, I’ve never heard a Delta-Sigma DAC that could hold a candle to the Schiit Yggdrasil, and that includes the latest ESS SaberDAC Pro based units. It’s just that the Chord unit works on an entirely different principle with its 49000+ filter taps! CDs, digital files of all bit depths and sample rates resolve details, that I didn’t even know were there! This includes my own recordings which I know intimately, or at least I thought I did.

George

On 5/27/2019 at 4:29 AM, AnotherSpin said:

I appreciate your opinion. However, comparing Gungnir with Chord Mojo I came to rather opposite conclusions. Yes, I fully understand the difference between entry level and more advanced item from Chord. There is also certain difference between two Schiit DACs. Still I could guess there is some specific sound signatures within particular approach. To me Gungnir sounds much more natural, fatigue-free, "analogue". Resolution my impress immensely in a short run, but long run impact seem to be more important to me.

Comparing the Mojo (<$500US) with the Hugo2 (~$2800) is comparing apples to oranges. They simply aren’t the same thing. Now, comparing the Chord Quetest (~$1900) with the Hugo2 is the same thing because the DAC portion of both units are exactly alike. The Quetest simply lacks the Hugo2’s portability and headphone amp section. The Schiit Gungnir is not as good as the Yiggy even though they share a common sound profile. The Yiggy is simply more refined, with a bit more resolution.

George

On 5/27/2019 at 5:22 AM, manisandher said:

Glad you've finally seen the light.

Mani.

There is no light to see. Nothing is perfect and everything can be bettered. Technology marches on. When I first tried the Yiggy, it was the best bang for the buck. I never considered it the best DAC in the world. The dCS Vivaldi or the uber expensive MSB DAC probably vie for that honor. Certainly the Chord Hugo2/Quetest holds the honor as the most revealing DACs under Five Grand (in my opinion, of course).

George

27 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

That's what I said - I fully understand the difference between entry level and more advanced item from Chord. Nevertheless, Mojo is very good small DAC for its price. 

So is the Schiit Modi Multibit for $249, but I wouldn’t try to compare it to a Yggdrasil or a Chord Hugo2 either.

George

On 5/28/2019 at 11:19 PM, manisandher said:

What's my point? That going from "the best I'd ever heard" to "I no longer consider the Yiggy as anything better than a 2nd rate DAC!" qualifies as 'having seen the light'. That's all.

When I pointed out the flaws in the Yggy's sound (backed up with measurements) in your thread 2 years ago, you were vociferous in defending it. There was (still is?) a lot of hyperbole around the Yggy, and it's good that someone like you can now see it for what it is - a 2nd-rate DAC at best.

I don’t regard it in that way. There’s no “light” to see. I’ve simply found a better DAC as was bound to happen eventually - to any audiophile.

On 5/28/2019 at 11:19 PM, manisandher said:

Are you aware that you can apply a filter with 1,000,000 taps in HQPlayer with a click of a button and then feed it to whichever DAC you choose?

Mani.

I’m aware of it, but I don’t use HQPlayer because it needs USB. I don’t like USB for a number of reasons, so, I don’t use it.

George

7 hours ago, manisandher said:

I've had the same DAC for nearly 10 years, admittedly with a number of upgrades along the way. It's outperformed every other DAC I've put it up against during this time, including my beloved Pacific Microsonics Model Two.

That doesn’t mean that there aren’t better DACs out there, it just means that you haven’t personally run across them.

7 hours ago, manisandher said:

HQPlayer doesn't need USB. If you have an spdif output from your audio PC and your DAC has an spdif input, that'll work fine - I've used this many times. But of course, if your only option is to use USB, then yes, that's all that HQPlayer can use.

Mani.

In my case the Mac laptop that I would use for music, like most laptops, only has a USB interface for digital audio out (it’s a 9 year old MacBook Pro with a Core2 Duo for a processor).

George

3 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Without knowing which exact model you have it’s still quite possible it has Toslink built into the headphone jack. 

https://babcuvpisecek.com/htpc/do-i-have-optical-out-apple-toslink-spdif-compatibility-list/

Well, if it does, it’s obviously broken, but I don’t think it does. I look into the 3.5mm jack and I see no light. Also if I plug in a 3.5 mm TosLink adapter and a TosLink cable, I see no light coming through the Toslink cable. 

George

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Uh, okay:

So if you don’t use USB, but you have a laptop with just USB, then how do you connect with your DAC?  Or are you not doing computer audio at all and instead just using a CD transport or CD player? Or Bluetooth? O.o

BTW, what don’t like about USB for audio?

I use an Oppo CDP-205 as my digital music hub. I connect to my music collection via Wi-Fi from my office computer. But, I do not use the Oppo’s twin ESS SabreDACs for output, I connect the Oppo’s coax S/PDIF to connect with the Yggdrasil. Now, I occasionally connect a thumb drive to the Oppo’s front- mounted USB, especially when a friend brings a file over to my house for listening.

ln side by side comparisons, S/PDIF vs USB always favors S/PDIF sonically, and the difference is not subtle either!

Also if look at my previous post, you will notice that I said that the PowerBook is the computer that I “would” use for music if I were using a laptop, which I don’t.

George

On 5/29/2019 at 6:40 AM, Blake said:

EDITED:

As a counterpoint to the negative comments- read Chris' review of the Yggy Analog 2.  Chris has heard a DAC or two in his days and he gave the Yggy 2 very high marks.  

I understand some of the anti-Schiit sentiment.  I will admit to having a heavy bias against Schiit for a number of years, just because people gushed so much about the original Yggy, it eventually became annoying.  Then my DAC failed and I gave the Yggy 2 a try.  I love it.  But if others don't like it, fine.  My Yggy did sound poor when it was new and cold out of the box, but it dramatically improved over time.

Yggy 2 measurements, which, yawn, I have no interest in discussing but others might (yes, from the fanboy site, but Atomic Bob is legit):

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-yggdrasil-v2-upgrade-technical-measurements.5820/

I concur. I have the “fixed” version of the Yiggy, and it sounded hard and the highs were dry and overly bright. A hundred hours or so resolved those issues, and now it sounds very good (just not as good as a Chord Hugo2).

George