IGNORED

Digital signal from Alexa devices

I have found multiple threads that skirt this issue, but none with definitive answers but please excuse me if this has in fact been covered elsewhere.

Basically I'm trying to get a digital signal from an Alexa device.

don't think the Link is actually the answer to get digital audio out from an Echo-based device, but I may be misunderstanding.  The Link definitely does have an optical out, but it has no microphone right?  You still have to hook up a Dot (or equivalent).  Therefore, when you ask Alexa to play music, isn't it still being sent from the Echo to the Link, then to an optical out?  If so, that would mean the Link is converting Analog to Digital, and then sending it, which can be achieved using a $12.99 device from Amazon.  I don't want Echo's analog signal that's gone through its own crappy DAC.  I want a pure digital signal that my receiver can then process.

Please confirm that my understanding is correct, or correct it.  I may have another answer to this - the Fire TV 4k cube.  That now appears to have an Alexa microphone, and HDMI out...which would be a digital signal being sent out - while I wouldn't want it for any of the TV-related services, it could serve the purpose of an unprocessed digital signal.  Right?  Or no?