IGNORED

DIY Ethernet Cables

I'm planning to make some ethernet cables using Telegartner MFP8 568B connector + ViaBlue EP-7 cables, but I have a doubt, it is better to connect the cable shield to the Telegartner connector or not? 

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you in advance.

4 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

I'm planning to make some ethernet cables using Telegartner MFP8 568B connector + ViaBlue EP-7 cables, but I have a doubt, it is better to connect the cable shield to the Telegartner connector or not? 

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you in advance.

I have used that combination for a long time and am more than satisfied,
You will be surprised how good it sounds after a few hours of playing

I can recommend EP-7S  (solid core)

sounds better than multi strand

and as Miska says, shield only in one ( or no end )

I already bought the EP-7 version, but I will do more cables, maybe next time I will order the EP-7S version.

I notice that the EP-7 have arrows indicating the direction of the cable, it is indeed stranger because data flows both direction. But maybe the best way to use: router -> switch is the correct direction, swith -> sotm 200 is the correct direction, is that right? If yes what end I should shield?

On 5/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, Miska said:

Only connect shield at the source end, but do not connect shield at both ends!

This could create an antenna, always taught that for rf the shield should be connected with a low impedance at rf frequencies at both ends, a usual practice is to use a cap at one end, though for CAT cable it would be hard to do. Be interested in your views on this as Ethernet has some quite high frequency content...

I am with TubeMan on no shielding connection, domestic set-ups don't really need shielding and there could be issues with some shielded connections and some not. Industrial set-ups are often designed from the onset to use shielded cables.

Even with the shield  unconnected the shielded cables does have benefits over un-shielded so is worth using.

31 minutes ago, marce said:

This could create an antenna, always taught that for rf the shield should be connected with a low impedance at rf frequencies at both ends, a usual practice is to use a cap at one end, though for CAT cable it would be hard to do. Be interested in your views on this as Ethernet has some quite high frequency content...

I am with TubeMan on no shielding connection, domestic set-ups don't really need shielding and there could be issues with some shielded connections and some not. Industrial set-ups are often designed from the onset to use shielded cables.

Even with the shield  unconnected the shielded cables does have benefits over un-shielded so is worth using.

I would say it is just extension of the source device chassis, connected to earth. But anyway I generally recommend using standard UTP cables that don't have a shield.

But certainly avoid connecting shield at both ends (like standard STP cables do), because that destroys one of the primary benefits of Ethernet which is ground isolation (signals are differential transformer isolated there).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, TubeMan said:

what switch do you have

( i prefer no end,
because the screen can act as an antenna for the RFI / EMI
)

I have a Netgear ProSafe GS108v4. 

I notice that my router is hurting a lot the sound of my system, so I put it a little away from my hifi behind the Tv.

The switch is near the hifi system, I notice a big improvement in sound when I use a kitchen aluminium foil over my switch to cover the switch and the connection plugs. I think the cables that I have connected from the "wall"  to the router and from the router to the switch are not shielded. 

These make any sense? Based on that do you think that I should shield it in one end or not?

System

Router -> Netgear ProSafe GS108v4(switch) -> Sotm 200 -> Roksan k3 Dac -> Gamut C2r -> Gamut D3 mk1

I use a mac with audirvana with Tidal connected through wireless.