IGNORED

Traditional Pentecost Hymns and their Musical Trajectories

• 3 weeks later...

wiki: 

John Dunstable, c. 1390 – 1453) was an English composer of polyphonic music of the late medieval era and early Renaissance periods. He was one of the most famous composers active in the early 15th century,  and was widely influential, not only in England but on the continent, especially in the developing style of the Burgundian School.

Dunstaple's influence on the continent's musical vocabulary was enormous, particularly considering the relative paucity of his (attributable) works. He was recognized for possessing something never heard before in music of the Burgundian School: la contenance angloise("the English countenance"), a term used by the poet Martin le Franc in his Le Champion des Dames. Le Franc added that the style influenced Dufay and Binchois — high praise indeed.

Writing a few decades later in about 1476, the Flemish composer and music theorist Tinctoris reaffirmed the powerful influence Dunstaple had, stressing the "new art" that Dunstaple had inspired. Tinctoris hailed Dunstaple as the fons et origo of the style, its "wellspring and origin."

The contenance angloise, while not defined by Martin le Franc, was probably a reference to Dunstaple's stylistic trait of using full triadic harmony, along with a liking for the interval of the third. Assuming that he had been on the continent with the Duke of Bedford, Dunstaple would have been introduced to French fauxbourdon; borrowing some of the sonorities, he created elegant harmonies in his own music using thirds and sixths. Taken together, these are seen as defining characteristics of early Renaissance music, and both Le Franc's and Tinctoris's comments suggest that many of these traits may have originated in England, taking root in the Burgundian School around the middle of the century.

Of the works attributed to him only about fifty survive, among which are two complete masses, three sets of connected mass sections, fourteen individual mass sections, twelve complete isorhythmic motets (including the famous one which combines the hymn Veni creator spiritus and the sequence Veni sancte spiritus.

• 2 weeks later...

2 Ancient Liturgical Melodies (arr. L. Stokowski) : Veni Creator Spiritus - Veni Emmanuel. Veni Creator Spiritus ends around 2:30. You'll likely recognize Veni Emmanuel as "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel".

Influenced by Dunstable (see above) but very much its own sound, Gilles Binchois, "Veni Creator Spiritus", performed by the Twin Cities based Rose Ensemble:

Noted early renaissance composer Guillaume Dufay,  "Veni Creator Spiritus". This performance is ok.

The best performance is on Pomerium's recording of Guillaume Dufay, Mass for St. Anthony of Padua. Not available on Youtube or streaming services.

image.thumb.jpg.fd26b00120fb5be81b83cb8586d38177.jpg

A contemporary arrangement of Veni Creator Spritus that sounds...contemporary:

• 2 weeks later...

Veni Creator Spiritus, by Tomás Luis de Victoria, with animated score:

Victoria: Veni creator spiritus, himno a 4 voces · Ensemble Plus Ultra · Michael Noone

Veni creator spiritus · Tomás Luis de Victoria The Sixteen and Harry Christophers. More reverberant  recording (venue? microphone setup? both? All 3 recordings the Sixteen made at this venue - St. Judes on the Hill, Hampstead Garden Suburb, London, England - 

sound similar. Technical flaw or a matter of taste?)

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 4:38 PM, christopher3393 said:

Veni Creator Spiritus, by Tomás Luis de Victoria, with animated score:

Victoria: Veni creator spiritus, himno a 4 voces · Ensemble Plus Ultra · Michael Noone

Veni creator spiritus · Tomás Luis de Victoria The Sixteen and Harry Christophers. More reverberant  recording (venue? microphone setup? both? All 3 recordings the Sixteen made at this venue - St. Judes on the Hill, Hampstead Garden Suburb, London, England - 

sound similar. Technical flaw or a matter of taste?)

I think it's largely a matter of taste with The Sixteen and the reverberant sound field.  On the one hand, it masks the number of members of the ensemble, but it makes the blend a little more homogeneous which I think a lot of people like with a choir.  Also, someone sitting in a pew will hear this more distant sound, and I think that's also part of their intent.  It's more "otherworldly" when you can't localize the source of the sound, which goes along with the spiritual intent of the genre (IMO of course haha). 

Or perhaps it's just how I view it, as I think they tend to match my preferences for these glorious works.  Although I have more recordings of The Tallis Scholars than The Sixteen.  Both ensembles have tended toward a similar sound, I think.  Usually, I just let the sound and the experience wash over and envelop and fill me and don't analyze closely what I'm hearing with this type of music.  I'll have to listen for those aspects the next time I get out my favorite recordings from them.  At one time, there were a lot of the same singers involved in both groups, and a few were also part of the Choir of The English Concert.  I recall noting a few of the same names recurring in my CD booklets for those groups years ago when I was first introducing myself to Renaissance polyphony (mostly Palestrina at first, having read Giuseppe Verdi's letters praising him as the father of Italian music.  Verdi and Rachmaninov were my first great loves in music.).  Early music instrumental ensembles in the UK also shared many of the same members.  I'm sure it helped them to survive in the 1980s when there wasn't as much demand or interest in "period practice" attempts and the large-scale "romanticized" interpretations were still more popular/prevalent.  Now the groups probably all have distinct membership, other than the occasional soloist.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子