IGNORED

Impressions of Lumin T2?

bringing this back from the dead - I borrowed a friends new T2 and after 4 days decided to eschew my Yggy/SOTM or Yggy/U1mini for the T2.

Early on the T2 was not sounding great as it had a glare that got in the way of relaxing into the music. My friend had not run this in and just played it a few hours. I've run it continuous for 72+ hours and man has it improved. There are still areas of the Yggy that I may prefer like a more layered stage and the image is set back slightly like 10th row vs 5th row of the T2. The T2 has this insane ability to bring stunning dimensionality to the music bringing me from a 2d yggy image to a more 3d image. 

the total costs are very similar for the 2 box yggy plus streamer vs the T2. It also avoids audio nervousa from which cable and type of digital out should I use from the streamer to the dac. Lastly direct wiring from the streamer to the dac inside the T2 box must bring some benefits.

12 hours ago, AVphile said:

1. Consider purchasing a Roon Nucleus +.  It simply opens up the vast world of digital recordings available on Tidal, Qobuz, etc. in a way that Lumin alone cannot.
  2. Besides buying the Nucleus +, consider purchasing a linear power supply for that Roon device.  I obtained a reasonably priced Teddy Pardo unit and have been very pleased with it.
  3. Make sure you cables are commensurate with the quality of the T2. (a) As power cords, I use Shunyata Venom 14s; for Ethernet cables, I use Wireworld Chroma 8s; and for analog interconnects from the T2 to my preamplifier, I use a pair of Kimber Kable Silver Streaks with WBT 114 copper terminations.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions! 

I have built up a Roon nucleus clone that I've been using for a while based on the specs on the Roon site. The integration of Qobuz into Roon is outstanding, although I do miss folder browsing. 

I have not found power to the Roon as critical as upgrading my router to an etherregen - YMMV

I am using very similar Kimber balanced interconnects and have a bevy of power cables to choose from. I have gone relatively low brow with a AQ cinnamon for my ethernet connection from the etherregen to the T2

• 2 weeks later...

well after about 200 hours of play the T2 I am very satisfied with the sound of the T2. It is more open and neutral sounding than the Yggdrasil that it replaced. Having had the Brooklyn plus and qutest in the house recently I think the T2 is also a step up sonically from either of these as well. Given the streamer/dac capabilities it is imo a reasonably good audio deal for the MSRP. It would be very difficult if not impossible to beat the sound with separate streamer and dac at this price point.

The bass is just so deep and detailed that is one of the first things that struck me when I first received the T2. I have found the top end very open but not brittle or bright sounding. Mids are gorgeous and late night headphone sessions with Vanessa Fernandez or Norah Jones are a great way to shake off a tough day.

I wound up doing the sbooster PS upgrade. It was easy to do and I already had the sbooster. I am not certain that I am hearing enough of a difference to warrant recommending this diyish solution. I have a friend close by with a stock T2 so at some point well shoot out stock vs sbooster. This will have to wait until after covid as his wife is not keen on audiophile playdates for now. 

All and all I would highly recommend this as a great sounding plug and play solution. I wanted to clean up my rig downsize the number of boxes and crap used to get good sound. The T2 did all that and provided better sound and listening enjoyment as a bonus!!