IGNORED

Hypex NC250MP not to me, could other Hypex amps be better ?

17 hours ago, Istvan said:

Thank you all the answers, I reread that suggested NCore topics and finally I ordered a Schiit Freya+ preamp, arrived today. It sounds amazing with Chord Qutest and Hypex NC250MP. It seems in my setup the problem was the Chord - Hypex couple demands a good preamp. Freya+ adds some but realistic body to the music, details not reduced too much, I love it. Sorry for my post NC250MP is a really good amp module if driver stage suits to this.

How does it sound running tubes vs SS mode?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, Istvan said:

I have few experience in high-end audio to hear weak points of Freya. About the modes it has; there is gain difference between SS and tube modes plus new Freya switches off tube heaters when SS mode active so there is about 40seconds warm up time when it switches back to tube mode, difficult to compare them. After one evening music listening I can write the followings; 

SS mode is very detailed well balanced, better than tube mode for Chord + Hypex amp, nothing drama or excessive power, just all the instruments at their places, sounds very relaxed, musical, not as dry and lean as the Chord without Freya. 

In tube mode it sounds more musical, the speed of transients is surprisingly good and sharp, piano, clarinet, horns has realistic shape and this mode gives space, air to the music, to me the tube mode is a bit too much, but I can understand if somebody like it better, very easy to listen it.

I was surprised but the third, "direct mode" is same good or might be better than SS (or tube) mode, I guess. User guide told in direct mode the SS differential buffer does not work, but the RCA input (no XLR on Chord) somehow converted to XLR since XLR output works in "direct mode", despite user guide says the opposite. Direct mode use a part of the SS circuit for XLR out, I bet. I hear direct mode same as the SS if no digital room correction in my system, with DRC when room effect on music is less there was some case when direct mode might sounds more natural with slightly less "mid range" warmth, very small difference from SS mode if there is difference. 

Just let me note Freya+ sounds very good but the volume control (and all the) relays are really raw and loud when switching, sometimes music breaks for a fraction of second during switching, relay based volume control significantly better implemented in Hattor power amplifier I use, so better to let Freya volume on 100% and don't use it's volume control.  

I have the older Freya, and I find the passive mode and SS modes sound very similar. But the SS mode has a bit more "life" to it, not as "lean" as you call it, so I prefer it.  I have used passive pres in other setups where I thought they were very good. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)