IGNORED

Questions For Interview With Bruno Putzeys & Lars Risbo About Purifi Audio

57 minutes ago, mocenigo said:

Yes and no. Class D amps have a phase rotation that is a linear function of the frequency. This is just a delay. So in fact this is often much better than irregular phase rotations as in A and AB amps. Luckily, the rotation of the latter are much more contained.

NCore also has much smaller rotations than ICEpower and, it seems, ICEEdge - I expect the same for Eigentakt

Still, it would be VERY INTERESTING to hear Putzeys take on the matter.

Roberto

Bambino, hai un regalo per posta.

Sag mir was du denkst.

8 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @The Computer Audiophile

I've seen comments across the internets (these are not my thoughts) that the switching frequency is the only 'issue' with Class D - one argument is it's not currently high enough with Hypex and ICE designs and this then needs aggressive filtering that can affect the treble performance making everything sounds smooth and warm.

Are there merits to pushing this switching noise higher and higher, to make filtering easier? Some say it needs to go to 5 MHz and beyond to make filtering easy without affecting the top end, again making everything sound warm and smooth... again these are not my thoughts, just what I've read over the years.

And what's the switching frequency with this Purifi amp project

Would love Bruno's thoughts on these (I've seen all the discussion on both sides so let's not get into it here).

Most seem to think at a switching frequency of 1ghz or 2ghz would solve the problems of class D and make it the superior amplifier mode. The Gallium based amps supposedly achieve this. The other Class D on the market have switching frequencies of from 300-600hz, AFAIR. So yes, it would be interesting to ask Bruno about both the switching frequency idea and the use of Gallium

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

The other Class D on the market have switching frequencies of from 300-600hz, AFAIR.

Indeed the 1ET400A module is at 500kHz according to the preliminary spec sheet.

https://6moons.com/wp-content/uploads/audioreviews/purifi/1.pdf

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Do you mean 1-2Mhz? You can easily reach this with GaN or GaAs. The ICEEdge chipset can control switching up to 40Mhz so it seems ideally designed for new materials.

Most amps based on silicon have a switching frequency up to 500Khz, but IIRC some (Megaschino? Some Pascal modules) reach 700khz.

Roberto 

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Most seem to think at a switching frequency of 1ghz or 2ghz would solve the problems of class D and make it the superior amplifier mode. The Gallium based amps supposedly achieve this. The other Class D on the market have switching frequencies of from 300-600hz, AFAIR. So yes, it would be interesting to ask Bruno about both the switching frequency idea and the use of Gallium

8 minutes ago, mocenigo said:

Do you mean 1-2Mhz? You can easily reach this with GaN or GaAs. The ICEEdge chipset can control switching up to 40Mhz so it seems ideally designed for new materials.

Most amps based on silicon have a switching frequency up to 500Khz, but IIRC some (Megaschino? Some Pascal modules) reach 700khz.

Roberto 

Yes, of course kHz and MHz. Sorry for the sloppiness.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just as another point of reference, the NuPrime Evolution One amp which uses their own Class D design (not someone else's module) has a switching frequency of 700kHz along with a 1MOhm input impedance. According to their claims: "High-speed computing simulations were performed for the Evolution One design, in order to achieve the highest input impedance and the lowest phase delay."

30 minutes ago, psjug said:

The latest Qualcomm DDFA can run at 800kHz.  I think that is the frequency that the Sonos Amp uses.  I have one and there is a lot of ripple at 800KHz, so I think the frequency needs to be much higher for switching noise to be tamed by a simple LC output filter.

Hi,

I examined the product brief, and the THD is about 10x higher than the Purifi preliminary module. The problem is we do not know what THD measurement filter was used for the Qualcomm unit, so the Purifi and Qualcomm may be equivalent.

Amplifiers were generally measured with a THD filter of 80kHz, for class A/B designs, but for class D designs many reduce this to 22kHz, due to the excessive noise above 20kHz compared to class A/B. It makes the numbers look better.

Then, the proponents of class D respond that no one can hear any information above 20kHz, so the 22kHz measurement filter used is valid.

Classic case of moving the goal posts.

Regards,

Shadders.

Will they also go after pro audio customers (supply modules and drivers for instrument amplifiers, PA speakers) or are they more focused on the high end audio market?

Besides amplification and drivers, possibly DACs as I have also asked before, any other product lines they have in mind?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

On 5/18/2019 at 6:47 PM, mocenigo said:

Now, at a switching speed of 500khz you get about 5 bits of depth at 20Khz and 6 at 10Khz which is beyond what one can hear (even a very very young person) so the signal as perceived by the brain is already perfect. What higher switching speeds could improve is timing, and it is already quite precise.

Great points that Bruno will hopefully clarify but as per my earlier questions, I believe one common argument people make for higher switching speed is actually for output easier/gentler filtering? Whereas lower means more aggressive filtering and some people say this is what causes Class D amps to often sound smooth/warm (aggressive filtering affecting top end frequencies).

Similar to filtering quantization noise with DSD... higher DSD rates (higher than DSD64) allow for simpler analogue filtering stage...

I think filtering is the main issue with class D to completely surpass classical amp topologies and obviously higher frequencies are making filters easier. I am using class D to drive my woofers and therefore filter design is less of an issue but even then I can hear differences between different designs preferring Anaview AMS over Hypex. I would be very interested to try these Purifi modules!

Everyone is so worried about out of band noise and forget that class D has the lowest amount of noise and distortions in band compared to other classes...

On 5/18/2019 at 5:14 AM, mocenigo said:

Roberto 

Mr. Putzeys is on record as saying that increasing the switching speed of class D amplifiers offers no advantage, so I doubt he has much interest in using Gallium based devices.  So far, the only Gallium based class D amp I am aware of is from Merrill Audio, and its specifications for noise and distortion are quite a bit worse than Ncore.

I find it quite amusing that some folks here say things "the problem with class D..."  I am unaware of ANY problem with Ncore, in my system, in direct comparison, NC-400 based amps have out performed a number of highly regarded class A/B amps of much higher cost.  I am excited to hear the next generation Purifi amps!

Oh yeah, a question: is there any chance for a Bruno Putzeys designed DIY DAC module using the 100 MHz 1 bit discrete FIR approach used by Mola Mola from Purifi?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, Matias said:

Everyone is so worried about out of band noise and forget that class D has the lowest amount of noise and distortions in band compared to other classes...

There's a few companies making DSP speakers that choose class D for all drivers but the tweeter... one current popular example is KEF LS50W.

It might be related to the switching noise and the need for aggressive filtering somehow affecting SQ (affecting the top end only).

I'm only guessing but would be great to know Bruno's thoughts on it.

This is pretty good ... https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/features-menu/general-interest-interviews-menu/455-searching-for-the-extreme-bruno-putzeys-of-mola-mola-hypex-and-grimm-audio-part-one

I particularly like his emphasis, here, on being extremely fussy about isolating the module from external muck - and his thoughts on how feedback as conventionally used is nowhere near good enough.

48 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Can you share where this record is?

I cannot remember for sure where I read this, it was awhile ago, but it probably was on the massive Ncore thread at DIYaudio.com.  At the time of the introduction of the Hypex Ncore tech, Mr. Putzeys graciously answered many questions about his approach to class D.  IDK if the thread is still up, and given the rather poor search engine on the DIYaudio site I would not want to go back and try and find the exact quote, I have better things to do with my time.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, Matias said:

Hi,

Can you provide references to support this claim ?, and which classes of amplifier topology you are referring to ?.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Can you provide references to support this claim ?, and which classes of amplifier topology you are referring to ?.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

I refer to class A and AB with linear power supply, which together should account for something like 90% of the high end market.

As for references, check out the THD x power graphs, or 19+20kHz x frequency graphs, that Stereophile, SoundStage and Audio Science Review forums have, and compare nCore against similar prices or even ultra expensive amps.

Not that I am a hardcore objectivist but still.

Question: would it make sense to use Eigentakt for low power amplifiers like desktop or portable headphone amps, or even embedded IC chips (DAPs, smartphones) or opamps?