IGNORED

Questions For Interview With Bruno Putzeys & Lars Risbo About Purifi Audio

Hi Guys - The team at Purifi has agreed to do a Q&A with the Audiophile Style community. This technology looks really good and I'm very excited to host such a Q&A.

Please ask questions below in this thread for us to compile and deliver to Bruno Putzeys and Lars Risbo. 

If Purifi is new to you, please read Tom's recent article about the company and technology here:

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Will the Purify modules be pin compatible with their competitors for easy swap of modules?

What other power ratings are they planning to release?

Also planning all in one modules (power supply + buffer + power stage)?

Are Purify only developing parts or they plan to release entire products like active speakers?

DACs coming too?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

5 hours ago, firedog said:

Do you  believe this technology to sound superior to NCore boards such as the NC400, 500, and 1200? 
If so, why?

He already answered this on the 6moons interview. Sonically and measurements are quite a step up from ncore.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/purifi/

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

Any improvements on the switching power supplies as well?

Other drivers (tweeters, woofers) also planned?

1 hour ago, mocenigo said:

GaN? I think Bruno Putzeys already said the Eigentakt modules are not GaN.

Still the question is good.

What does he think of GaN? Will there be future Purifier modules using it? Why did he not use it yet?

1 hour ago, maty said:

A year ago I opened a thread in the diyaudio forums asking about the phase shift in class D technology and its influence on the sound and I still do not know the answer.

In class A and AB technology, this shift is less than 6 degrees at 20 kHz, which almost nobody specifies. But in class D it is much higher!  There is a new module, IcePower 1200AS2 that reaches up to 70 degrees!!!

Phase shift in class D amplifiers. How it affects the sound?

Specially with acoustic instruments and "natural" voices (without autotune, vade retro satana).

I take the opportunity to raise the issue directly, thank you very much from Spain.

Hi,

This is important. It seems that class D amplifiers despite amplifying, are acting like non-linear filters too.

Sounds like a job for MQA Ltd........

Sadly, they would require a separate MQA file that is optimised for every class D design.

Regards,

Shadders.

9 hours ago, mocenigo said:

GaN? I think Bruno Putzeys already said the Eigentakt modules are not GaN.

Hi,

As per article below :

https://semiengineering.com/electric-cars-gain-traction-but-challenges-remain/

The use of GaN and Silicon Carbide MOSFET's increases efficiency due to their faster switching speeds. Higher switching speeds can reduce the dead time, so maybe this is a future enhancement ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Very interesting article, but I do not see the connection between GaN and electric cars 🙂

34 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

As per article below :

https://semiengineering.com/electric-cars-gain-traction-but-challenges-remain/

The use of GaN and Silicon Carbide MOSFET's increases efficiency due to their faster switching speeds. Higher switching speeds can reduce the dead time, so maybe this is a future enhancement ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Just now, mocenigo said:

Very interesting article, but I do not see the connection between GaN and electric cars 🙂

Hi,

Electric cars are investing in GaN and SiC mosfets which offer higher switching speeds - more efficient. The class D modules can do this too - use higher switching speed devices.

Regards,

Shadders.

2 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Electric cars are investing in GaN and SiC mosfets which offer higher switching speeds - more efficient. The class D modules can do this too - use higher switching speed devices.

Regards,

Shadders.

Yes, I meant between this and audio, sorry.

The higher switching speeds and the corresponding shorter dead times would be a big plus for audio. But for the moment they are noisier, IIRC. Now, at a switching speed of 500khz you get about 5 bits of depth at 20Khz and 6 at 10Khz which is beyond what one can hear (even a very very young person) so the signal as perceived by the brain is already perfect. What higher switching speeds could improve is timing, and it is already quite precise.

Roberto 

6 minutes ago, mocenigo said:

Yes and no. Class D amps have a phase rotation that is a linear function of the frequency. This is just a delay. So in fact this is often much better than irregular phase rotations as in A and AB amps. Luckily, the rotation of the latter are much more contained.

NCore also has much smaller rotations than ICEpower and, it seems, ICEEdge - I expect the same for Eigentakt

Hi,

Please see the screenshot of a simple class AB amplifier group delay.

image.thumb.png.067aca58c07cc2f722b34599a954409a.png

Despite the minimal group delay below 50Hz, the graph shows that the group delay is constant. The group delay is the dotted line at the bottom of the graph.

Can you provide your examples of class A or class A/B amplifiers with irregular phase rotations ? Thanks.

Regards,

Shadders.