IGNORED

Article: Meeting the Experts of Purifi in Munich

Devialet Expert Pro products have extremely low THD and about the same signal-to-noise ratio.  As to the other technical benefits of Purifi compared with Devialet, I'm not sure.  My point is this: are we simply talking about technical performance or SQ?  It's proven that some companies are really good at improving the technical performance envelope.  The real key for me is whether they are also improving SQ.  Thoughts?

we have a fascinating quote from Bruno Putzeys, stating:

“Customers will find out that ultra high end amplifier performance doesn’t need to cost an "effing" 40 grand. That sort of number is completely unjustifiable for even the best imaginable amplifier, it’s got at least one digit too many.” 

This is some what confusing to read considering the price level of Mr. Putzeys's brand Mola Mola.

18 minutes ago, HQ-Sound said:

we have a fascinating quote from Bruno Putzeys, stating:

“Customers will find out that ultra high end amplifier performance doesn’t need to cost an "effing" 40 grand. That sort of number is completely unjustifiable for even the best imaginable amplifier, it’s got at least one digit too many.” 

This is some what confusing to read considering the price level of Mr. Putzeys's brand Mola Mola.

Sounds logical to me. The Mola Mola mono amps are less than half 40,000

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 hours ago, HQ-Sound said:

Mr. Putzeys's statement was reading "it’s got at least one digit too many.” which should mean   < 4,000 

IIRC, Mola-Mola hasn't been involved in the price discussion.

You have a certain bandwith between Mola-Mola and DIY NCore units if you want to make a point in one direction or the other.

I've related the price discussion to the NAD m22, because NAD was the first manufacturer to announce the future use of the Purifi unit. En plus, you may expect a price between 3 and 4 k for a successor, which in turn put some more meat to quote. 

IMHO, the most important words in that quote are "at least", which leaves some fantasy towards DIY and box manufacturers.

Best, Tom

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 9:59 AM, firedog said:

My thought is that the principals of this company don't have a history of putting out products that don't perform. If Bruno says these are better than NCore, they probably are. The question then becomes one of price vs. performance. 

Ncores are available for DIY and also have numerous brands marketing them in amps at all levels of the boards in the line and levels of cosmetics fit/finish. You can get some fantastic affordable NCore amps that are very good values in the audiophile world. But it took a two or three years for this to happen for those that don't want to DIY. We will see what happens with these. 

Firedog, good points.  Thanks for sharing.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:27 PM, HQ-Sound said:

Mr. Putzeys's statement was reading "it’s got at least one digit too many.” which should mean   < 4,000

which is also near the price of the NAD they mentioned

re SQ & increments of SQ per unit cost increment - it would be very interesting to do a blind comparison with the Benchmark amp

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/22/2021 at 6:54 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

On what material would the difference not be a matter of preference? 

I agree with that perspective (i.e., preference on all material). Was trying to paraphrase the reviewer's conclusions, not express my own. Seems I botched it up.

• 1 year later...