IGNORED

Myth - retrieving the real sound.

Which is her real voice? How should your system sound?  Is the most expensive mic or the sound what you deemed to be natural correct version of her real voice?

It is my philosophy that as an audiophile we should strive to bring the highest fidelity to the playback to sound as real as possible. Accuracy takes a back seat between what comes from your speakers and what reaches your ears. It is realism what decides your musical enjoyment. 

No need or lust to listen to this;

The most realistic sound is there (for your gut feeling) when you see how singers move (and/or move their mouth) or how a guitarist moves is fingers (quite exactly). Etc.

So I recognize by myself a "this must be it". But this may improve next month; it evolves.

Yeah, that must be the real Mark Knopfler. And this without ever meeting him for real.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

PS: What I'm actually saying is that this will be about consistency. For example, boosted bass because you like music better with more bass, will not incur for consistency.

With this, also keep in mind that I go all the way for neutrality (as in: try to find someone who describes the sound of our DAC - you won't find any).

Doing this via a YouTube ... forget it.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

1 hour ago, STC said:

And those who repeatedly claim to hear room acoustics in pop vocals. 

Sure, they are hearing them. Just the way whatever engineer producer etc decided they should hear them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

deleted

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

An 80's HiFi News article by Ken Kessler, about using a hefty R2R to record a live band, quoted the chap who brought it along, who said something along the lines of "What these are all about, is that they're big tits machines" ... :)

UNDERSTANDING MID-SIDE AUDIO

This page is all about working with mid-side in audio recording. I often hear sound artists talking about mid-side in ways that to my mind are not quite accurate. To explain this is a fairly involved process, so I’ll start with a short summary for those who want to cut to the chase.

http://www.michaelgallagher.co.uk/how-to/understanding-mid-side

And this is the real sound to the persons making them. 

Watch the video and go through what you do to bring out the magic. Does it make sense?  

4 hours ago, STC said:

UNDERSTANDING MID-SIDE AUDIO

This page is all about working with mid-side in audio recording. I often hear sound artists talking about mid-side in ways that to my mind are not quite accurate. To explain this is a fairly involved process, so I’ll start with a short summary for those who want to cut to the chase.

http://www.michaelgallagher.co.uk/how-to/understanding-mid-side

And this is the real sound to the persons making them. 

Watch the video and go through what you do to bring out the magic. Does it make sense?  

I often use MS to record. To me the results are very much like A/B or X/Y miking. MS has the advantage of having the L/R spread controllable from the mixer without having to physically move the microphones. I usually do MS using the stereo mike shown in my avatar picture (left of post).

George

On 5/18/2019 at 3:02 AM, STC said:

True. Thanks for confirming the point that the width can be manipulated/adjusted. 

Yes it can.  I considered changing the width in the video in the other thread.  But was already being accused of re-mastering instead of getting a true sound at the LP.  So I didn't bother. I think the video is done with the spread too wide. 

BTW, one of the patterns in the files I recently put up for download is an MS. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Ummm, playback chains are the "biggest liars" ... one of the results of working towards competent sound is that all recorded vocals end up sounding like a "real voice" - that is, played back from behind a visually concealing barrier, the vast majority of listeners would be fooled into thinking that the sounds were coming from a live person.

The fact that the vast majority of audio reproductions setups, starting with PA rigs, fail miserably at doing this, is an indictment of the progress made so far in "improving" audio ...

4 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Absolutely - mics and speakers are the biggest liars in the audio chain. 

The playback . Unless you have listened to someone singing with your ears1 inch away from their mouth you have no knowledge of their real voice. And if you start to experiment listening at 1 inch next to the mouth expect to become a deaf audiophile much much much sooner. :) 

deleted. 

What the brain does so well at, is adjusting for reflections. A live person singing in a huge variety of acoustic environments will never be mistaken as actually being the output from a loudspeaker, by a listener in the vicinity. And that's what happens with competent playback - you don't "have to get the acoustics right!" for the impact of it being realistic to manifest; a recording of a person singing still sounds like a person singing, no matter how 'unfavourable' the space - the side benefit is that SQ always get a tick, without any room fiddling necessary.

There's a shopping spot up the road, with a spot that buskers constantly cycle through. No-one is mad enough to do this with even the tiniest PA assistance, because it's in the middle of concrete walls and ramps - the sound reverberates as if it were on steroids, a single note goes for forever - but the power and impact is amazing, and would never be mistaken for some crappy PA.

Here is a recording made with iPhone. According to @esldude , human do not hear delayed because the brain ignore them. 

He is wrong because the saxophone will sound different at LP to human in both venues. It will also sound different to the iPhone. However, depending on a lesser level of reverbs captured by the iPhone in a very reverberant room, it sounds almost natural with loudspeakers.