IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

For those who may be interested, my order #25 "up for grab" :D is for an SR7DRMR2 with one rail at 12V/8A and the second one at 9V/2A, along with 2 cables, 1x "DC3FSXLR annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation" and 1x "DC10FS annealed fine silver with Teflon insulation".

I should mention that Paul stated that there is a precision potentiometer with 10V range inside the chassis for each rail, so each of the 2 outputs can be set to a different voltage (I imagine +/- 5V but one would have to get confirmation).

Of course, one can also decide to fully change the specs 🙃

TANNOY Definition DC8T / STELLO Ai700 / AYRE QB-9 DSD / SOtM sMS-200 Ultra / QNAP HS-251+ / Triode Wire Labs

On 9/13/2019 at 8:02 AM, guillaume31 said:

I should mention that Paul stated that there is a precision potentiometer with 10V range inside the chassis for each rail, so each of the 2 outputs can be set to a different voltage (I imagine +/- 5V but one would have to get confirmation).

If it's like my SR7, then it's the rated voltage minus 10V.

I.e. a rated voltage of 12V means you have a range 2-12V.

On top of that, there is some leeway beyond the rated voltage:

I used this to advantage when I had a 12V rail to drive the 15V Chord HMS. Some have reported that HMS sounds better at the top of its voltage range, and I was able to adjust the 12V SR7 rail to get to just above 14V (but I didn't do an A/B comparison to check if this voltage change had any impact on HMS SQ).

Hi all. Mark the office administrator for Paul Hynes Design LTD here. Just letting you know that for the last two days our email systems have not been working due to issue with the host’s server. If you wish to contact us our alternative email is [email protected]. This email is a backup email account so please be aware that it is not usually monitored continually, but will be until our usual email systems are back in place.

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

11 minutes ago, paulhynes said:

Hi all. Mark the office administrator for Paul Hynes Design LTD here. Just letting you know that for the last two days our email systems have not been working due to issue with the host’s server. If you wish to contact us our alternative email is [email protected]. This email is a backup email account so please be aware that it is not usually monitored continually, but will be until our usual email systems are back in place.

Hi Mark.  Welcome to the thread.  This kind of communication is most welcome and appreciated.  An occasional update from the maestro himself would also be very considerate and informative for those of us who have been waiting for an SR7 for 2+ years.

On 9/18/2019 at 1:58 PM, paulhynes said:

Hi Mark, thanks for posting on here. I tried a few times to order your higher voltage SR4 by email over the past several months or so but never got any replies, so I had to buy elsewhere. I'm wondering why this is as in the past I have written and hear back from you and bought 2 SR4s without any problems.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

6 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Hi Mark, thanks for posting on here. I tried a few times to order your higher voltage SR4 by email over the past several months or so but never got any replies, so I had to buy elsewhere. I'm wondering why this is as in the past I have written and hear back from you and bought 2 SR4s without any problems.

I am sorry that your enquiry went unanswered, we are a bit more organised now than we were at the beginning of the year.

The best place to make an enquiry or place an order for the Paul Hynes standardised range is [email protected] as that is the email that I primarily use. Also the new website should be up and running sometime next month which will be the best place to gather information on our products and how to contact us.

12 minutes ago, Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD) said:

I am sorry that your enquiry went unanswered, we are a bit more organised now than we were at the beginning of the year.

The best place to make an enquiry or place an order for the Paul Hynes standardised range is [email protected] as that is the email that I primarily use. Also the new website should be up and running sometime next month which will be the best place to gather information on our products and how to contact us.

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the clarity. Cheers Patrick

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

In corresponding with @Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD), I just learned that the standard SR-7 (non-custom) line has just been launched by PHD. Mark sent me the product sheet, hot off the presses. This stuff will also be up on the website soon, I'm told. Here's a few snippets:

The SR7 power supply is now available alongside the SR4 and SR5 via Paul Hynes
Design Ltd. The SR7 is being manufactured on a build to order basis. This is because the
mains transformers are custom manufactured for us to Paul’s highest specification and
until we know your specification requirements we cannot order in a transformer for your
specification...

The SR7 uses the same ultra low noise high performance discrete component voltage
regulator as the highly regarded SR4 and SR5 power supplies. The SR7 mains
transformer is configured as a balanced mains isolation transformer to provide
exceptional mains born common mode interference rejection like the SR4 and SR5 power
supplies. The SR7 is currently only available in fixed output voltage versions designated
SR7S-**F in the silver anodized chassis or SR7B-**F in the black anodized chassis,
where S and B refer to the anodizing colour, ** is the output voltage rating and F denotes
a fixed output voltage rating.

The SR7 is built into the Streacom FC9 chassis
SR7 chassis dimensions – W = 350mm, H = 110mm, D = 310mm

The SR7 chassis can accommodate two galvanically isolated supply rails
The following specification options are available :-
SR7-3.3F rating 3.3vdc @ 10A continuous, 40A transient
SR7-05F rating 5vdc @ 10A continuous, 40A transient
SR7-12F rating 12vdc @ 12A continuous, 40A transient
SR7-15F rating 15vdc @ 10A continuous, 40A transient
SR7-19F rating 19vdc @ 10A continuous, 40A transient

This looks very promising, even though it obviously excludes some of the custom options like dual regulation (DR) and XL. Mark tells me that they can actually accommodate 2x 10A rails in the FC9 chassis, and the nominal voltage of each rail can be independently specified. That's actually more flexibility than I expected. Assuming they can get these units delivered in a reasonable time frame from order to delivery, this will raise the availability status of SR-7 from unobtainium to not-too-hard-to-obtainium. PHD are shooting for under 12 weeks from order to shipment. Obviously, they need to demonstrate this in action, but from all accounts, this operation is not gated by the availability of one individual, i.e. Paul.

From Mark:

...Paul, in conjunction with the CMC (Contract Manufacturing Company), has

re-designed the standard SR5 and SR7 power supplies to remove the

requirement for staff technical training as everything is simplified

internally on a modular basis. 

Hopefully that makes the operation more scalable. "We'll see what happens."

I have no more info than the above. Please contact Mark at [email protected] for pricing, shipping time lines, etc.

Excellent news. It would be nice to see their prices too. 

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

In corresponding with @Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD), I just learned that the standard SR-7 (non-custom) line has just been launched by PHD. Mark sent me the product sheet, hot off the presses. This stuff will also be up on the website soon, I'm told. Here's a few snippets:

Fab news!

11 hours ago, your momo said:

Strange about the standard SR7 chassis size (W = 350mm, H = 110mm, D = 310mm) as it's much wider and different than the one Paul told me on September 10, 2018 he do fit my custom SR7DRMR2...

PH: The SR7DRMR2 uses the SR7MR4 chassis to allow the fitting of the four regulator modules. This measures W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 346mm.

This line in the standard SR-7 description explains the difference:

23 hours ago, austinpop said:

The SR7 is built into the Streacom FC9 chassis

https://streacom.com/products/fc9-fanless-chassis/

@Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD)
Would you mind to clarify the connection between Paul Hynes Design LTD and Paul Hynes himself ?
Who is the boss (owner) at Paul Hynes Design LTD ?

I'm asking this because I'm a customer of Paul Hynes awaiting an SR7 build which takes longer than expected to deliver.
We are many in the same boat which his floatability now becomes questionable ...as the name of Paul Hynes does.
10 hours ago, your momo said:

Yes, but then the "standard SR7" chassis size as listed above post #164  (W = 350mm, H = 110mm, D = 310mm)

doesn't match with the FC9 chassis size from the Web site - Streacom FC9 chassis W = 348mm, H = 100mm, D = 289mm ?!?

Those differences are rather small. I suspect it is accounting for protruding connectors, perhaps a heatsink. @Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD) is the right person to ask.

1 hour ago, Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD) said:

Hello all. Sorry for a delay in answering these questions. I have been collecting information about our recent history that should provide the answers you require. I have attached the statement as a PDF.

PHD Ltd history.pdf 113.45 kB · 7 downloads

Thanks to you and @paulhynes for taking the time to pull all of this information together.