IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

Build #23 - SR7DRMR2XL (2x 12V) with DC6FSXL cables – 0.5m length no terminal plugs

No news from Paul since his January 2nd 2019 e-mail reply

May Paul do us a favor and post a full list of what's coming next on his SR7 production line ...or should I say congestion line ?

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see some SR4 throughput, time to time...

However facts remain:

• SR7 build flow looks dry as Great Salt Lake since months - mine is paid since more time it takes to human to born a child, how on earth is it possible assembling a known design takes ages ?
  • Paul seems not care to answer, even the most polite inquiry of his paid in advance customers, which btw are not that many - and possibly becoming a dying species with such poor quality of service.

All in one, I still wonder how he could get such a great reputation leading to this kind of extremely positive review less than a year ago ?

To finish on a good note, fortunate enough to write all this listening to my audio system, sounding absolutely great - now powered by probably one of the finest power supply design in the industry - it's a loan, but chances it convert to a buy are growing...

On 6/18/2019 at 11:09 PM, mfaoro said:

Which one is that? Always trying to broaden my horizons...

It' Nagra Classic PSU, pretty nice design using 5F super cap as output buffer per low noise linear regulated rails, 3x 12V rails in total.

Makes my HD DAC sing, music notes are like floating in the air...

Price is insane, but knowing it's "just made simpler" version of their HD DAC X or HD preamplifier power supply that cost more than twice, it aleviates the mind on top of the purse ...still not yet a buy for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TopQuark said:

Thanks. 2 rails are 5-15v (3A each) and the other 2 are 9-19v (3 and 6A).  Just got an email from Paul this is the first Streacom FC9 chassis he built. He built an FC10 before. He has to use the chassis because the transformer mass is just too big for the specs I specified with the standard case.

Wasn't it supposed all SR7 3A rails get replaced by 6A regulators ?

Sure it will not allows you to drain 6A due to transformer core and windings will limit max power you can get. But just wanted to know if this update has been implemented in your build.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 1:45 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

I was thanking you for posting the updated scheduling information for your build.

When I originally placed my order, Paul told me that I was build #23.  Later, he told me it was #24.  Since then, we have always referred to it as #24.  I have never attempted to reconcile the difference with him.

How fun, the only tangible I could get by e-mail from Paul this year is my SR7 build number, and guess what, it's build #23

So it's about time we get a nominative list with number and names (can be AS user name) from Paul.

This situation is turning nasty...

• 3 weeks later...
@Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD)
Would you mind to clarify the connection between Paul Hynes Design LTD and Paul Hynes himself ?
Who is the boss (owner) at Paul Hynes Design LTD ?

I'm asking this because I'm a customer of Paul Hynes awaiting an SR7 build which takes longer than expected to deliver.
We are many in the same boat which his floatability now becomes questionable ...as the name of Paul Hynes does.
@Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD)
Thanks for all the details on how this new entity took birth and now growth up. Fascinating !

While still waiting on my SR7 custom build, I have now a mixed feeling between pride and sadness:
  • The pride because it looks obvious paid in advance fund permit Paul to hold on and create some employment in a kind of remote region. Also this capital allows to find better personal solution and host his disabled parents at his now refurbished home.
  • The sadness because when engaging on taking over an SR7 custom build, after getting vivid and convincing exchanges with Paul, I was not under the impression I spend my money on a charity... It was much more about a seller agreement to deliver asap something to the buyer, like it works in everyday businesses.
As we cannot change the past let's work on to make the future bright. Since a picture is worth 1'000 words, would you mind posting some from the new premise production areas in which the SR7 are build ?
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Payment in full - but Paul and Mark are 100% honourable and have no quibbles over refunds

Oups, are we living on the same planet ?

"Payment in full" - that's perfectly true ...and in advance of course 😉

But sorry to shower your entusiasme regarding the remaining qualifiers:

"100% honourable" - It's too early to comment for Mark, but regarding Paul his track record and behavior with respect to his paid in advance and still waiting SR7 customers over the past two years don't qualify him as honourable anymore, sorry not.

"no quibbles over refunds" - again nothing to say about Mark, but regarding Paul he is not open for any refund. Even being overly busy and unable to deliver what agreed and promised in a reasonable amount of time, still let him inflexible... The only exception is if somebody pay, at least same amount as you paid, and so take your build order - this qualify more as transfer than refund.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Actually I have one back with him for repair since Jan/Feb 2019 and haven't received it back yet. Correspondence has been sporadic and unreliable.😕

Do you mean you await one custom SR7 build, returned due to defect one year ago, and still it's not repaired yet ...that's crazy.

Out of curiosity, is it a return under warranty period ?

Communication channel regarding SR7 custom build looks still to be severely broken ...far beyond broadest-ranging open mind.

...Mark and Stephen are aware of historic issues. They are anxious about customer satisfaction in PHD Ltd since Paul retired from custom builds...

Also connection between Paul and PHD Ltd is highly puzzling, we are talking about a new company, build on the IP and reputation of Paul, which operates in same town, probably same office ...but is unable to facilitate a minimum of communication from his "mentor".

• 2 months later...

I was contacted by Paul mid of February, among details on difficulty he faced last year there was apology for the inconvinience.

He also told me resuming the work on my custom build #23 which, assuming no more unforeseen circumstances beyond his control, should become ready to ship end of March.

I acknowleged his message with thanks and confimation I'm ready to get it.

But all this was before Covid-19 knocked at our doors...

At the moment I can imagine there could be other priority for many of us, including Paul.

It remains being on a remote island which was not visited by many tourists during this winter might make his place more safe than many urban places we live in.

Assuming he is in good health, with access to food, provided the custom build material is already at his premise, then the build can go on.

• 2 months later...

Highly unlikely due to size a 2nd regulation stage would take, also DR is one of the remaining differentiator from "custom builds" vs "batch build".

Nevertheless if Paul is available for an update on his on going SR7 custom build activities, it would bring a ray of light in this very dark 2020 year...

• 11 months later...

Aside my compassion and feeling sorry for all PHD Ltd customers and employee caught in this trap.

Also considering Covid has made things less usual than ever, but...

Still I'm scratching my head, how come a paid in advance business with a queue of customers can all of a sudden, after two years of busy sales, become so short of money ?

I have no degree in business, but little common sense rings the bell, something must be broken since the start of PHD Ltd.

Raising Covid as guilty would be an easy path but this pandemic is nothing bad for selling businesses - quite opposite it's a tail wind.

So what went wrong and why did it change so much in just a couple of weeks - out of the blue ?

We saw PHD Ltd offering start with SR4, then SR4T and recently SR7 & T all expansion steps of range being related and voiced here.

Also plenty of satisfied customer feedback here and there - so products did deliver, match promises as demand rose...

Now one thing worries me again. At the time of PHD Ltd start we were told this business is completely separated from Mr Paul Hynes past engagements - I mean SR7 custom builds - so no way this fresh blood could help depleting our endless queue.

But now that this "complete separated company" has bankrupt Mr. Hynes is fully busy with it and again it's one more reason for delaying his custom builds engagements...

I know my message, unlike most here, is overall not very empathetic, I'm sorry for that and the one my words could hurt.

It remains when you face adversity you can be opportunistic and claim you fail because of it, or you can be smart and claim you succeed despite it.

Among the recent years we, SR7 custom build paid in advance customers, always had the first waved as an excuse ...how come we can be so constantly unlucky ?

• 3 months later...
I'm in as well build #23, in a week this will be a year since my last e-mail exchange with Paul, which ended by:
"Assuming no hiccups I should be able to continue with build 20 next week so your build is now imminent.
I will contact you regarding shipment when the power supply is ready."

In one month it will be 3 years of waiting since payment for an originally agreed 3 months to delivery.
My current workload doesn't allow yet for a 1'800km roadtrip, but who knows what's coming...