IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

5 hours ago, oilpaint said:

We haven’t connected since early May.

I am one of the guilty ones that took over someone else’s Build - go ahead folks, fire away.....I made a few minor (cable) changes to the original Build but nothing dramatic (as far as I know). I read what he said above but don’t really understand what the issue is or why it is specific to Build 16 - I just thought someone else might know.

Paul refers to "remote voltage switching." Does that ring any bells for you? I am not sure what that means, but perhaps it pertains to something you specified for your build?

Bottom line - I didn't really understand what Paul meant either.

1 hour ago, oilpaint said:

@austinpop At some point Paul said he would add external attenuators (like the SR4 has for changing voltage) since a lot of people weren't comfortable opening the case to change voltage. I said that works for me.

I am now wondering if I am the only one that is getting the attenuators or, maybe there is something about my build that doesn't like them? 

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Ok thanks. I am getting the external voltage selector too. So it seems to be a popular option since Paul offered it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, oilpaint said:

@austinpop Are you still getting the external attenuators? Have you had any conversations about them with Paul?

Not yet, no. From the update posted some weeks ago, I got the impression that Paul has abandoned this idea as he found the quality loss unacceptable. To be honest, in recent times I've had several occasions to pop the lid of SR-7's and adjust voltage manually with the little blue potentiometer on the regulator board, and it's really not a big deal. In fact, I think it's very useful, as it allows you to set arbitrary values - like 16V, which I tried recently for something.

I've been using the tiny screwdriver that comes with the LPS-1.2 for these adjustments, but it would be nice to find a longer screwdriver in that same size.

3 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

Thanks. 2 rails are 5-15v (3A each) and the other 2 are 9-19v (3 and 6A).  Just got an email from Paul this is the first Streacom FC9 chassis he built. He built an FC10 before. He has to use the chassis because the transformer mass is just too big for the specs I specified with the standard case.

I will be powering the entire chain from router, switch, NUC server, NUC Roon, SOtM regen, split cables, etc up to DAC together with 2 units of SR4-12 and a unit of SR4-19. Transparency, details, and instrument separation is what I am after for the type of music I listen to (instrumental) so PH power supply is very important for my set-up.

Awesome.

You will be doing some of the same tradeoffs I have, which is deciding where to allocate SR7 rails (and what current), and where to use SR4's. I've formed some opinions, but I don't want to bias your observations. Please do keep us posted on your listening results, and what allocations you like best.

These may be OT for this thread - which is about the build calendar - so feel free to post on the novel thread.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, oilpaint said:

Paul does reply to my emails, although like everyone else, a lot of time can go by before he answers. And I understand this based on everything that he has had to deal with. 

What confused me about austinpop's post above is the fact that Build 15 went out 4-5 weeks ago and mine (Build 16) should be next out the door. Since austinpop seems to have an open dialog going with Paul I thought he could inquire for me. I have no doubt Paul will be in touch with me at some point.

I don't have a special line to Paul. I experience the same response time as others do.

The last I heard about your build was what @auricgoldfinger posted back in June - look back in the thread. Your best bet is to reach out to Paul. Usually, the reason he appears to skip ahead with later builds is if he's waiting for parts. Ultimately, he's the only one who can give you an update.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:11 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

June 12, 2019

I have a problem with build 16 due to an interaction issue using remote voltage switching. I have decided to stick with on regulator board switching of output voltage as used in the SR4 as there is no interaction issue with this. I am having new PCBs made for this.

@oilpaint

Sorry if I gave offense. I was referring to the above.

My intent was merely to point out that Paul often ends up out of sequence when builds are stuck awaiting parts. Additionally, he appears to progress builds in parallel.

It also appears that he’s more communicative as the build nears completion.

Next time he emails me, I will certainly ask about yours. It’s all I can do.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, guillaume31 said:

Has anyone heard from Paul about the builds that were "ready to ship" ? it seems the situation is not improving, I enquiried about my build (#24) around 2 weeks ago but still has not heard anything....

Well, mine was on the bench (among others?) being constructed. Going by history, I expect the next I'll hear from Paul is when it goes into soak test.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, your momo said:

Strange about the standard SR7 chassis size (W = 350mm, H = 110mm, D = 310mm) as it's much wider and different than the one Paul told me on September 10, 2018 he do fit my custom SR7DRMR2...

PH: The SR7DRMR2 uses the SR7MR4 chassis to allow the fitting of the four regulator modules. This measures W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 346mm.

This line in the standard SR-7 description explains the difference:

23 hours ago, austinpop said:

The SR7 is built into the Streacom FC9 chassis

https://streacom.com/products/fc9-fanless-chassis/

10 hours ago, your momo said:

Yes, but then the "standard SR7" chassis size as listed above post #164  (W = 350mm, H = 110mm, D = 310mm)

doesn't match with the FC9 chassis size from the Web site - Streacom FC9 chassis W = 348mm, H = 100mm, D = 289mm ?!?

Those differences are rather small. I suspect it is accounting for protruding connectors, perhaps a heatsink. @Mark (Paul Hynes Design LTD) is the right person to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...