IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

• 2 months later...

I would guess even for  the 'custom' design ( # of rails, voltage & amount of regulation, single or double from what I surmise) - he has to order the parts. If he focused on the design/order bit it could save some time. If he is a one man operation for all of the custom build then too many factors can come into play - as is evidenced by the delays. But it is his business, just throwing an idea out there.

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, bit01 said:

@paulhynes -Why not let PHD build a standard DR7 (double regulated as you call it)? Not everyone needs a custom build?

b.

I apologize but I posted this query in the wrong thread - here is Paul's reply in that thread, quote:

Hello b

This is off topic on Nenon's thread and questions like this would be better posted in the SR7 thread. Perhaps Chris could move this to a more appropriate thread. I have been considering this but it would cause a conflict of interest between PHD Ltd and my custom build schedule which are two entirely separate business activities.

Regards

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like to mention that dealing with Steven at PHD was a real pleasure. He worked hard during a challenging pandemic and was very responsive and helpful, and built me a great SR7T. I thank him and wish him well in his future endeavors.

Simply having a great product does not insure success to the company built around it as is evidenced here. You need some business acumen with the customer satisfaction as the central theme (and some luck).

Mr. Paul Hynes is brilliant at design and making these power supplies. It would be a pity if it all ends in failure. I do wish he could find the way forward and wish him well for the future.

My experience with PHD (2020) mostly quoted from a PM I had with a member here:

I had originally ordered a custom variable voltage DR from Paul for  a server/endpoint setup. That was taking too long and I was not happy with his sporadic communication. At my age I was not willing to wait another few years for the PS. When PHD started making the standard one I gave up the custom DR order to someone else at the earliest opportunity. I then ordered the standard SR7 dual fixed 19V rails.  At the time the turbo option did not exist.

In that process there were other delays including covid-19 effects and I had thought about order cancellation. However Steven at PHD was a very different experience. It really was a  pleasure dealing with him. Even though he was the lone builder there he seemed keen on meeting deliveries and was trying hard to keep to schedule under adverse circumstances. I stuck it out with him even though he was willing to cancel the order.

He eventually was told the custom transformer would ship and he had a case in stock he had reserved.  He then surprised me with an offer- the new Turbo upgrades  at a reduced price in appreciation of my patience - and he threw in some free internal  silver wiring upgrades I had not asked for- great!. It all took about eight months though-order to delivery but I was happy in the end!