IGNORED

Value, lack there of, and "High End"

At a certain point, all those extra thousands of dollars would be better spent on supporting local symphony orchestras and the like. Buy some actual 'life-like' experiences with all that buck. With 12000 dollar, instead of buying 10 foot speaker cables, you could buy the best seats in the house for 50 concerts. Make a few school classes happy. Or you could just donate it and keep one part time orchestra member at work. Whatever.

11 hours ago, bluesman said:

I don't fault your logic or your goals, and I agree that our global society might well distribute its collective resources with more of an eye toward doing good than feeling good.  But a free society empowers each of us to do as we wish with what we have, short of violating generally agreed upon societal taboos (e.g. laws).  It's far easier to define "value" (i.e. worth / cost) than it is to define "good", "better spent", etc.  We have neither the ability nor the right to reallocate the wealth of others, except in specific circumstances and through societal systems and processes.  Sometimes I wish it were otherwise, but I'm generally more laissez faire than utilitarian.

I'm not arguing in favor of redistribution of wealth. People are free to do what they want with their money. I just hope some of the folks that buy 12000 dollar speaker cables will support the classical music scene, so it will stay affordable, and thus alive.

(Seriously, what will happen when the current popularity of Mahler/Bruckner/Shostakovich wanes, and even those names won't be sufficient any more to ensure a full house? Where is your audience in 20-30 years, if you don't draw young people to the concert hall now? Off topic, but I think about that stuff a lot)