IGNORED

iTunes Device Support Update

Along with the macOS 10.14.5 Update, Apple also released iTunes Device Support Update. Has anyone used it to update their iPhone? In the Mac software update mechanism, Apple did not provide much information about it, saying it “ensures proper updating and restoring for iOS devices using iTunes for Mac.” I will probably wait until the weekend before I try it. Too bad it’s not a stand-alone app.

Ralf11, I understand, but no, you go first! Since I haven't been able to sync properly for a while, I will wait for a week to see if others take the plunge and how it goes for them. And if you don't do it by then, I will give it a shot. To get around some of the syncing issues, I have an external drive that uses an older macOS. Maybe I will bring that drive up to 10.14, if all goes well.

Kirk, I totally agree with you that I believe not all the software was being loaded. I like to know what is being downloaded, so I have turned off automatic updates and use LittleSnitch to limit other functions as well. Maybe turning off some of the automatic functions prevented my system from receiving the respective download. However, if Apple is breaking up iTunes, I long for a Sync app. Currently, I only update apps when I install the latest iOS update. Hence, my phone frequently sports a high badge number over the App Store icon.

No, I use LockRattler, which pulls XProtect, Gatekeeper and other security updates down pretty easily. LockRattler also shows version and date added. So, my apps are always updated. I think Apple needs to  employ a method that tells users when XProtect, etc., are updated. (Of course, for those who care!) I have used the Terminal commands in the past, but LockRattler makes it a lot easier for me. I always download load the Combo update and security updates from Apple Downloads page, which I can use on other computers as well.